EMG wiring problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EMG wiring problem

Hey guys. I decided to swap some EMG's (81,85) into my rhoads pro (1994)and I have it all wired up and it works, however there is a bit of a hum that won't shut up and also the pickup switching seems to not work. When I plug it in it seems like its stuck with both pickups on and the volume and tone nobs seem to be doing jack shit. This is confusing as hell because I have fallowed the wiring chart perfectly (or so I think lol). Do you guys have any idea WTF I could have done wrong? [img]/images/graemlins/what.gif[/img]

Re: EMG wiring problem

OK, well first, make sure that the pickups run into the switch. The hot white wires of each EMG should be on opposite sides of the switch. Make sure the ground wires of the pickups are grounded to a common ground. Also make sure the red battery wires from each EMG are connected to the battery clip.

How are you running your knobs? Volume/volume, tone? That's important. Assuming you have one master volume:

Now, on the volume knob, as you face it from above with it in place, the far right lug should be grounded to the pot. The far left lug should have a jumper wire going to the switch's middle lugs. Make sure the switch's middle lugs are all soldered together and to that jumper running into the volume pot. The middle lug of the volume is the hot output to the jack. But let me know how you want the other knobs, that's important in the wiring.
    "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
    Gotta get away from here.
    Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
    Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

See I have done all that. I actually took the pots and everything out of a Warlock I bought with the same set up (two volume, 1 tone, three way toogle) so all I had to do was disconect a few things and re- connect them. So it should have been an easy mod. Another thing is that I didn't think that EMG's required to be grounded (because it says that you should disconnect the previous ground wires and to not ground the pickups). The only thing i can think of is maybe the wires got pulled when I took it out and i just didn't notice (but I looked it over like a thousand times). Thanx for the help.

Comment

EMG's MUST BE GROUNDED. What they say to leave out of the ground are the strings. Meaning the wire from your tremolo bridge to the ground can be left out of the loop. Were you grounding the EMG's? If not, that's your problem right there.
        "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
        Gotta get away from here.
        Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
        Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

lol
          ok so where the fuck do I ground these? like do I soder the pickups to something?

Comment

So not grounding them would cause the volume nobs, tone nob and pickup switch to not work? Because I plug it in and it works but it seems like its just stuck with both pickups on and the tone is shitty.

Comment

Working...
            X