Gun Stock Oil?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gun Stock Oil?

i prefer boiled linseed on rosewood and ebony fretboards.

my only raw maple neck has danish oil and mimwax paste, feels great!

i've never tried boiled linseed on a raw maple neck... does it have any colouring effect?

i don't want my neck to look any darker.

i know any oil is going to darken it a bit. but which one(s) darken it (or colour it) the least?
    Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

yes, linseed adds a tint, but it's slight, and not much different than the other oils (non tinted ones, at least). imo, it looks nice.

sully
      Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
      Sully Guitars on Facebook
      Sully Guitars on Google+
      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

I use Hoppe Gun Oil (available at most sporting goods stores, even Wal-Mart). The trick is to use it sparingly, whether it's on the neck or fretboard.
        "POOP"

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          I use Hoppe Gun Oil (available at most sporting goods stores, even Wal-Mart). The trick is to use it sparingly, whether it's on the neck or fretboard.

[/ QUOTE ]
          Agreed! The more you use, the more color will get in the wood.
          Use it sparingly and make sure you prep the neck well. If there are sanding swirls left behind, they will show thru the gunstock oil....

Comment

I use Urethane Oil. It is Linseed oil with a catalyzed urethane added for durability. Gives a very thin stable finish and dries fast. It is humidity resistant. I had read that Peavey used this oil on the Wolfgangs. I put three coats on with 0000 steel wool between coats. The final finish seems like just plain wood. You can hardly tell there is a finish on the neck. One of the manufacture's is Woodcraft. You can get it at one of their stores or on-line.
            Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Working...
            X