Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Anyone dissect an EMG?

[ QUOTE ]
    I'll try to get some pics of it to PM you, they've got about 1/8" sticking out of the pickup. They broke at the bend in the pins.

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="aqua"> that's plenty! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] </font>
    Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Yup [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Hey, I once attached wires to a pair of SAs that had no cable for the connector, so as long as I can reach the pins [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I'll have to go dig through my parts drawer in my toolbox, but I'll see if I can find it and confirm how much of the pins are left.

Comment

**UPDATE** dissect an EMG?

<font color="aqua">ok, I had a couple of minutes this morning when I finshed my parts so I decided to say the hell with saving this "lame" EMG, and ripped her open [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img].

The first picture is of what was left after milling it up. The thin metallic plate is actually a PC board that was basically a cover for the back before they fill the back it with epoxy. The epoxy on the back turns out to be about .093" (3/32nds") thick but it's not really even so this may vary. You can see the enclosure that's inside the plastic case which is basically the shielding and you can also see the magnet as well as some of the coil windings that I milled into.

Close up of the bottom:

Here's a shot of the side, basically a cross section of the coils and windings:

A shot of the top of the EMG milled away:

And here is probably the most interesting pic of all. It's a close up of the actual preamp milled away to show the caps, op. amp, and pc board all encapsulated in the epoxy. Pretty cool huh? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

So to answer Matts (Newc) question, no, you can't really use the preamp from one of these [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

</font>
          Dave ->

Comment

Re: **UPDATE** dissect an EMG?

Wow! I had no idea the preamp was stacked next to the coils like that.

Comment

i just wanted to say that i got a reflex silver edition bucker and single coil that i could take apart.. but after that pic.. i'm not really interested into taking it apart lol
              You can't play no muthfuggin' arpeggios on a tuba...

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                Dave ->

Comment

Thanks Dave for the experiment...the guts are pretty different than what I expected.
                  RIP Donny Swanstrom...JCF bro
                  RIP Dime

Comment

SCIENCE! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Thanks Budman - I was really hoping it was a board that could be removed, but I can understand why they did it that way [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

Note to self: Keep all of my pickups away from Matt and Dave! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Hey Dave you weren't kidding when we talked earlier [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] at least it has saved another part, from the mad scientist [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                        Matt we're Bro's & all but experimentation is an unbridled step into the unknown. I still support you Dr. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                        According To The Prophecy

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I had an 84 Gibson V and the original pickups were literally falling apart when I got it - the covers had been de-soldered and the coils were coming off the baseplate, AND the magnets were loose!
                          Amazingly, they still worked [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                          X