How much for a setup:floyd content

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How much for a setup:floyd content

$90 dollars?? are you NUTS?? I just gave you a web-site that explains everything you guy's want to know....... [img]/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif[/img] You can send me the $90..... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
    "When a naked man is chasing a woman through an ally with a butcher's knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross"............ Dirty Harry

Comment

Oh, I am sorry. I didn't know everyone would learn best by just reading... :roll:

Dude, sometimes it is so much easier to learn about something when you actually get to see what should be done. What is wrong with offering people another option? Chill the fuck out...

Comment

There's nothing wrong with offering another option. I just GAVE you one!! I AM chilled the FUCK out!!
        "When a naked man is chasing a woman through an ally with a butcher's knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross"............ Dirty Harry

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          [ QUOTE ]
          We charge $40 at our shop and it's a pretty extensive setup.

-Jason

[/ QUOTE ]

C'mon, it shouldn't take 1/2 hour to restring a guitar and set up a floyd, even if you do the intonation if you have a key for it. Adjusting a truss rod takes about 2 minutes tops. This isn't rocket science.

[/ QUOTE ]
          It can take me longer than a half hour to do a Floyd, especially if it's way off. A Floyd Rose, as I'm sure you know, is a delicate balancing act. I can put a rough setup on a Floyd in no time flat. However, when I have the time, I not only set it up, but I fine tune it to death as long as my workbench isn't full. I'll set it up, play it, tweak it, play it, tweak it... you get the idea. I love playing guitars even more than I love working on them, which I do for a living. If I could do it for free and not have to worry about money, I certainly would. I live for guitars, but I need to pay my bills too. I do a damn good job for the little money I ask for.

Pete, this is of course not directed at you at all. As an amp guy I'm sure you feel the same way. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            [ QUOTE ]
            [ QUOTE ]
            We charge $40 at our shop and it's a pretty extensive setup.

-Jason

[/ QUOTE ]

C'mon, it shouldn't take 1/2 hour to restring a guitar and set up a floyd, even if you do the intonation if you have a key for it. Adjusting a truss rod takes about 2 minutes tops. This isn't rocket science.

[/ QUOTE ]
            It can take me longer than a half hour to do a Floyd, especially if it's way off. A Floyd Rose, as I'm sure you know, is a delicate balancing act. I can put a rough setup on a Floyd in no time flat. However, when I have the time, I not only set it up, but I fine tune it to death as long as my workbench isn't full. I'll set it up, play it, tweak it, play it, tweak it... you get the idea. I love playing guitars even more than I love working on them, which I do for a living. If I could do it for free and not have to worry about money, I certainly would. I live for guitars, but I need to pay my bills too. I do a damn good job for the little money I ask for.

Pete, this is of course not directed at you at all. As an amp guy I'm sure you feel the same way. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right, I guess it depends on what the shop rate is in your area. I was thinking of 1/2 hour or so to do it (If you have the right tools and it's the type of floyd that lets you use those keys for intonation setup).

Of course, some projects just go wonderfully, and then you have the guy who brings you a guitar to setup that has a gummed up floyd, or stripped threads, etc... those are no fun.

I've been goofing around with my own setups for about 20 years, so I can eyeball stuff to get it close, then fine tune it to where it needs to go. I didn't mean any offense to anyone who does this for a living. Here in Tulsa shop rates are $40 to $60 an hour usually, so I just mentally figured $40 = 1 hour labor. Most shops have a set rate anyways - it may not take an hour to do a setup on a well maintained guitar, but some take a little longer - so it evens out.

Pete

Comment

Working...
            X