Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Refinish a vintage instrument?

Hey folks,
    I have an old 1974 Gibson SG Custom....the walnut model with the 3 pickups and gold hardware. Everything on it is original, but the body could use a refin...LOTS of scuffs, scratches and finish checking. If I refinish it, will it totally kill it's "vintage-ness" and resale value if I decide to sell it?

Re: Refinish a vintage instrument?

Well some people won't even touch it after it's been refinished. Usually refinished guitars go for 50-60% of the market value.

I think you should just live with the mojo. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Don't touch it, unless you want to keep it forever and can't stand a beat up guitar.

Mike
      Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        I think you should just live with the mojo. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well in that case, it's got 31 years of serious mojo! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
        I can live with it the way it is. Maybe just a buff-out?

Comment

Honestly if you want to retain the market value, just don't touch it. Gibson guys pay top dollar to get that effect on brand new instruments!

Comment

Don't buff it either. Leave the natural "patina".

Comment

"Patina"....spoken like a fellow Antiques Roadshow watcher... [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

O.k., just a little Endust then to get the bar smoke smell and stage sweat off of it. Sheesh, now I'm afraid to take it out of the house again! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Leave it alone, go buy a new guitar if you want "new" [img]/images/graemlins/eviltongue.gif[/img]

Edit: Or sell it to me !

Comment

Just wipe it off with a piece of cloth. Your grandchildren can thank me later. :P

Comment

Pictures?

I have a 1979 SG Standard that is 100% original. I'd post pictures but my web space is on the fritz at the moment.

Comment

Refinishing that guitar will take about 5k+ off it´s value instantly, depending on the condition the rest is in... DON`T [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        Refinishing that guitar will take about 5k+ off it´s value instantly, depending on the condition the rest is in... DON`T [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
                        $5K? That guitar isn't worth $5K!! 70's SG's are good guitars, don't get me wrong, but the only SG's going for $5K+ are 1960's SG's with humbuckers.

Comment

Pitch it in a dumpster Tony. Rumor is you scored a much nicer SG recently. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
                          Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            Pitch it in a dumpster Tony. Rumor is you scored a much nicer SG recently. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Yeah, the ol' Gibson isn't looking so cool to me these days compared to the new addition! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
                              $5K? That guitar isn't worth $5K!! 70's SG's are good guitars, don't get me wrong, but the only SG's going for $5K+ are 1960's SG's with humbuckers.

[/ QUOTE ]

You´re right, I goofed, somehow thought the customs were going for more... [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

But then again, in 5-10 years I´d be right [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X