No announcement yet.

what are your favorite single coils?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: what are your favorite single coils?

[ QUOTE ]
    Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pro, your choice of flat or staggered. Very warm and musical sounding. Not as bright at a standard Strat, but to me that is a good thing. What some call jangly, I call thin and brittle. I use a reverse wound, reverse polarity one in the middle position of my Soloist, between a JB Jr and a Distortion bridge humbucker. Position 4 gives me that wonderful quack.

I used to have a Strat with a Fender Lace Sensor red in the bridge. Man, that was a mean pickup.

[/ QUOTE ]

How does the Alnico II hold up against the Distortion and JB?

Comment

My favorite single coils are the ones that I've pulled from a guitar and put in a box. Humbuckers all the way.....

Comment

I can't stand 60 cycle hum in regular passives, so they're either mini-HBs or EMGs: S or SA's. The newer EMGs with the quick connect leads will fit in the 375's pickup route with no probs.
        "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Kinmans, they sound and look like single coils, without the noise. Very expensive, though.

I've used Cool Rails and Fast Track 1's in shred guitars with higher output bridge humbuckers, they match up well.

Comment

I think Kinmans actually are single coils, and not stacked humbuckers. I'd LOVE to try a set of them. I'd love to have another Strat like object to fool around with some of these suggestions. I hear great things about the Rio Grande's too.
            Courtesy, Integrity, Self-control, Perseverance, Indomitable Spirit

Comment

i've tried a bunch and i realized i can't live with the even slight hum of a true single so i stick with hot rails, fast track 1, JB jr, fast track 2, and some lace pickups.

-Mike
              www.DAvanzoGuitars.com

Comment

How did I miss this one? For me (although it depends on what guitar) For glassy strat sound either old 70's singles or texas specials for darker strat, I really like the Dimarzio SDS-1 way fat and not too bright (sounds like a P90)it's way noisey and hums more than any other single I've heard, but the noise is totally worth the sound. I also like the fast track for bridge.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  I think Kinmans actually are single coils, and not stacked humbuckers. I'd LOVE to try a set of them. I'd love to have another Strat like object to fool around with some of these suggestions. I hear great things about the Rio Grande's too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Kinmans ARE stacked single coils, and they are very quiet. I use them when recording with high gain amps, because dealing with 60 cycle hum is a pain.

Comment

Working...
                  X