EMGs???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: EMGs???

You guys with EMG's... how often do you play your EMG equiped guitars? Hours of actual usage before you have to change the battery.
    Looking for rough battery life stats.
    My current project isn't done yet, so I haven't had a chance to even play mine yet.
    My PC-1 eats 2 9V batteries every 2 or 3 weeks. I play it for about 2 or 3 hours every other day, but I don't use the sustainer too often. I did noticed that as long as the guitar is plugged in, the system is "hot" and draining the batteries, although not as bad as when the switch is actualy on. My best estimate is about 4 to 6 "actual" hours of use before the batteries become to weak to power the sustainer. So I'm wondering how many hours of actual use you get from a battery with an EMG?
    -Rick

Comment

Hmm...kinda tough to answer. Back when I was playing in bands and only owned two guitars, the batteries would last between half a year and up to year. I can't tell for sure how much I actually played, so any estimates are bound to very rough.

However, in EMG's FAQ list, they say:
      "If you left your guitar plugged in day and night, the battery should still last a month. Under normal playing conditions, you would probably be looking at changing the battery twice a year."

So, that would make, what...around 600+ hours?

Comment

That's pretty sweet 'cause that PC-1 of mine is gonna make me go broke just putting batteries in that thing. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
        -Rick

Comment

I don't own a PC1, but it floors me when you say the batteries in it don't last that long. I've been here a LONG time and I don't ever recall other PC1 owners describing the symptoms you're explaining to us. [img]/images/graemlins/what.gif[/img]

Comment

Floored me too.
            My PC-1 is a 2004 model.
            I don't have any experience with any other brand of sustainers, but the OEM Floyd Rose that Jackson uses seems to require a ton of juice. One thing I'm suspicious of though is about 3 months ago I installed new batteries, used it for about an hour and then didn't use it for a few weeks.
            When I plugged it in, the batteries were dead as a door nail. I now pull one of the batteries whenever I put it in the case. I think there's possibly an internal short causing the drain, but havn't been able to track it down.
            I can't send it back to Jackson as it's no longer under warranty. We all know how secerative they are about the damn things and won't even sell replacement parts for them.
            So my situation may not be normal.
            -Rick

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Hahaha, I pull out the batteries from my wireless mouse when I'm not using my computer also... damn thing eats through batteries rapidly. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Rick maybe you could ask the guys at sustainiac directly? Here is their homepage: http://www.sustainiac.com/

I'm floored too...I had been considering getting a sustainiac for my model 6. Now I'm not so sure any longer. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Comment

A sustainer does work = uses power. It takes power to create the magnetic field to keep the strings vibrating. Any time you do work, you eat batteries.

The EMG onboard amp does a little work amplifying the signal, but the cost of this work is nothing compared to pushing a loudspeaker (for example). That is why you need a "power" amp to drive the speakers.

The tiny op-amps used in EMG's can be created to use the tinyest amounts of current, so that's why they have a long battery life.

An assumption on my part: Older EMG's probably use batteries faster than newer ones, because IC technology has vastly improved over the years. Same idea as to why CPU's get faster and faster, smaller and smaller. A CPU of today, running at the same speed (if it could) as a 486 for example, probably consumes 1 millionth of the power.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

Same idea as to why CPU's get faster and faster, smaller and smaller. A CPU of today, running at the same speed (if it could) as a 486 for example, probably consumes 1 millionth of the power.

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny you say that... I remeber back when I would turn on my old CompuAdd 386 (with the 486 "upgrade chip" 4mb ram, 20something mbhdd [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] ) the lights would dim for a half second. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                    Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      Rick maybe you could ask the guys at sustainiac directly? Here is their homepage: http://www.sustainiac.com/

I'm floored too...I had been considering getting a sustainiac for my model 6. Now I'm not so sure any longer. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
                      One slight problem... Jackson does not use Sustainiac sustainers in the PC-1. The sustainer in the PC-1 is made by Floyd Rose as an OEM part for Jackson. Floyd Rose cannot sell them directly as a result of a lawsuit filed by Sustainiac over patent infringments.
                      Jackson will not replace it since it's out of warranty.
                      I cannot find any schematics anywhere for this thing either.
                      If I had them, I know I can fix it.
                      For now, I'll just wait for it to die completely and throw in a Fernandez FSK-401 system. Same setup so no holes will need to be drilled or filled. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
                      I would also reccomend the Fernandez system over the Sustainiac. I've heard both and I think the Fernandez performs better and is a cleaner retro fit into almost any guitar with a H/S/S setup.
                      -Rick

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        I would also reccomend the Fernandez system over the Sustainiac. I've heard both and I think the Fernandez performs better and is a cleaner retro fit into almost any guitar with a H/S/S setup.

[/ QUOTE ]
                        Cool! You just spared me a lot of detective work! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

If anyone can get a working or broken OEM sustainer to me, I could analyze it here at work. Im sure myself or one of the testers could figure it out in a couple minutes.
                          Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

When mine dies, and I know it will, I'll be more than happy to send it to you.
                            If I had a schematic I would attmept to find the power drain. I just don't want to be probing the thing without at least having an idea of what is what first. [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
                            The board is packed pretty snug with components so I want to be careful not to fry anything.
                            -Rick

Comment

Sounds good! As for being tightly packed... if you saw some of the stuff I work on at work, the sustainer is a walk in the park. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Some of the surface mount components are about the side of a pinhead. Pretty tedious to rework, its a good thing theyre installed by a machine. If I had to just install them all day, it would take FOR EVER! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X