Blocking a floyd - not related to sticky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Blocking a floyd - not related to sticky

I was thinking of buying a tremsetter, but what does the tremol-no do, that the tremsetter doesn't (and vice versa)? What are the differences?
    I have no eyes, fuck-mook!

Comment

The tremsetter doesn't block your trem. It uses springs to create a distinct "zero" point in the trem's travel. You can still pull up and down on the trem, but you lose that ability to do "warbles" due to the added stiffness.

This "tremol-no" thingie lets you block and unblock the trem with a turn of a thumbscrew.

Comment

Trying to get back on topic,

I take to upgrade a J500 to a J580LP is just a waste of money if I'm just blocking the trem?

Comment

Well, seeing that the knife edges on your current trem are shot, it may be a decent upgrade performance-wise to get a JT580LP...at least temporarilly.

As far as tone is concerned, I'd say it would be a complete waste of money either way.

I'd say start with blocking the bridge if that's what you want to do. If you find that the whammy performance of your bridge still sucks, then try to find a replacement.

Comment

No, the knife edges aren't shot. The place where you mount the arm is missing (might be stripped). So, it's just going to sit there - no whammy action at all.

The J500 has the knife inserts, but the J580LP has a solid plate. I would think the tone would be better with the solid plate (ala an OFR).

Comment

I'm not so sure about that to be honest. The metal in teh JT580 is some sort of pot metal; not very high quality (wears out easilly, and strips easilly). I doubt it will be better for tone, but hey, it's your call. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

The Schaller Floyds are die-cast with knife edge inserts, and they sound pretty good. I've used both a JT580LP and a Schaller trem in my Rhoads, and really I never noticed any major difference in tone between them. The Schaller is superior quality-wise to the 580 though.

An original Floyd on the other hand supposedly has more bite to it, because the baseplate is one piece of milled, hardened steel. I wouldn't know for sure though. I have one guitar with the OFR and two others with Schallers, but I don't feel like swapping trems left and right just to test their tonal properties. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
              X