Tremol-no - anyone used one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tremol-no - anyone used one?

Kevan- I'm curious. When did you come up with this idea?
    Is this your first go at producing something?
    How many will be produced in the first run?
    Where are they being made?
    Thanks.

Comment

Finnman- good questions.
      I came up with the idea years and years ago. My first guitar was Floyd-equipped, so I quickly figured out the inherent problems that trems came with.

This is my first time patenting and producing something. Not to discourage anyone, but it takes a pantload of money and a ton of work. I was lucky enough to have a couple (not many) contacts in the music/guitar industry and they've been cool enough to help me out on occassion with their fantastic advice.
      Everyone in the industry that I've met has been great. Even with as much competition as there is out there, I've seen a lot of friendships that transcend business. At one NAMM show, I saw Paul Reed Smith, Floyd Rose and Sterling Ball hanging out together at the EB/MM booth. PRS was playing one of their basses while chatting/joking with FR and Sterling. It was kinda surreal, but still shows you that it's a good group of folks.

I'm not totally sure about the first production run totals. I believe it's somewhere between 5,000 and 10,000. I'll double-check that with AllParts.

They're being machined (not cast!) at a great factory in South Korea. We're using 6063 Aircraft Aluminum and stainless steel for the production units. They'll be lightweight and very strong.

Thanks again for the welcome, guys.

Comment

I was able to check out this unit at NAMM in Jan. and I was impressed completely. I spoke with the gentleman at the booth for a while...it might have been you Kevan...I believe it was installed on an Ibanez there. It's a great idea and I can't wait until it becomes available myself.

- Joel
        RIP Donny Swanstrom...JCF bro
        RIP Dime

Comment

Joel- thanks for the compliment.
          Do you happen to remember which booth and at which NAMM?

Comment

Kevan:
            In "Guitar Player" January 2006, page 185 there is a
            product spotligt on gizmo called "Freelok".
            http://freelok.com/
            Know anything about these?
            First time I have seen this.
            Where they just faster getting them out?
            I like your design better.
            Still waiting for your "Tremol-no" to come out.
            Finn

Comment

A couple people are ripping Kev's design and getting it to market faster. That's a bummer. I'm waiting for Kev's...

Comment

Here is a patent issued to someone at the address listed on the contact page for the Freelok, applied for in '03 & granted 7/05:

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parse...RS=PN/6,919,501

Comment

The 1st design in the patent involves major drilling in the body. I can't get to the images for the 2nd & 3rd designs, but the descriptions sound like it's all contained in the cavity.

Comment

Yeah. I know all about the other guys, and so does my patent attorney. Let's just say it's being taken care of as we type/read. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] There are some MAJOR problems at the USPTO and it takes ages to get anything done there. It'll all be cleared up soon though.

The other guys you see out there now are doing everything "out of their basement", so to speak. I decided to go a different route and have an actual factory build mine, to my EXACT specs. Yes- it takes a little longer, but I want to make sure it's done right, and with quality materials (no pot metal).

I appreciate everyone's patience with this. Once you have a Tremol-No in your hands (or in your guitar), I'm sure you'll agree that it was worth the wait. In the meantime, if anyone would like to stop by and try out the Tremol-No, they're more than welcome to. Toss me an email and we'll get it set up. I've already had one JCF member stop by. If the rest of you are as cool as he is, it's all good.

Though I have purchased and tried the other devices out there, I can't really answer questions about them. I will, however, answer all your questions about the Tremol-No. Feel free to ask!

Comment

Any update?
                      Still waiting.

Comment

Looks awesome. Too bad we can put mini-pistons on it and to be able to use a button/knob to control it.

I'm definately in.

joe...
                        www.godwentpunk.com
                        www.myspace.com/godwentpunk

Comment

They are out but not in stock. I've been waiting 2 months now from Allparts. They are back ordered from the Manufactuer.
                          Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

I just got an e-mail from Kevan, that AllParts has them in stock.
                            I just ordered mine.

http://www.allparts.com/nproduct.php?stock_id=2883

Comment

Hi finn, thanks for the heads up. Maybe you'll do a walkthrough with pictures of your 1st install here? I'd really like to hear your opinion on it.
                              Henrik
                              AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

no prob Henrik.

Comment

Working...
                                X