Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buzz/hum problem with my RR1. Can EMG's rescue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Buzz/hum problem with my RR1. Can EMG\'s rescu

Yeah, something is definatley wired wrong.

Thanks rjohnstone, I take pride in my wiring. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Basically, I just apply all the techniques I use here at work to guitars, and I believe it makes a difference. Anyone can wire stuff up... its not hard. But doing it so it will not only sound good, but last for ever, is whats really important. Proper wire stress and routing, organization, and of course grounding, is the key to a good wiring job.
    Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Looks like the center vol pot has the hot lead going to ground. Kinda hard to tell as the pic is a bit fuzzy.
      The HUGE solder blob on the top of it is not instilling confidence in the tech who did it.
      The tone pot "appears" to be done correctly, but again, the solder job leaves a lot in question.
      You can do this yourself... it's not that difficult.
      Here is a good reference for wiring up your axe.
      http://www.1728.com/guitar.htm
      -Rick

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        You can do this yourself... it's not that difficult.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the vote of confidence, apparently you've never seen the results of me using a solder gun [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Oh yeah your definatley wired wrong... thats professonal work?! I think its high time I go in business!

First pic, left volume pot, the red wire and the black wire coming out of the pickup lead are crossed. The red wire goes on the center lead of the pot, and the black p/u wire goes on the bottom lead. Then the switch is wired wrong to the tone pot too... ugh.

Tell you what, if your not comfortable doing it, pay shipping to and back, and Ill rewire it for you for nothing.
          Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Re: Buzz/hum problem with my RR1. Can EMG\'s rescue?

[ QUOTE ]
            Also, make sure that the EMG input jack has been replaced with a standard 1/4 mono jack.

[/ QUOTE ]
            It doesn't matter whether the jack is stereo or mono with passive pickups. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Re: Buzz/hum problem with my RR1. Can EMG\'s rescue?

OMG they got the capacitor on the center lug? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
              Should be like this:

Front knob:
              Pickup (black) to Right prong, center prong to Switch

Middle knob:
              Pickup (black) to Right prong, center prong to Switch

Tone knob:
              Center prong to center of Switch, one leg of the capacitor on left lug and the other leg on the pot casing.

Of course, if you don't use separate preset volume settings for the neck and bridge pickups, or just want to try it, you can wire the pickups to the switch directly, then go from there to the front volume pot, and from that pot to the second volume pot, then to the tone.

This should cause one knob to act as a "Master Volume" that only decreases the output without killing the beef, and the second knob to be the one that thins the sound and cleans it up.
              Did that on a Mustaine Pro and liked that setup better than the standard setup.
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
              X