Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Went shopping for refin stuff today. How'd I do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Went shopping for refin stuff today. How\'d I d

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Yeah, I took that as a scuff coat issue, which is why I questioned going with such a finer grit, as opposed to, like, 320. As for laquer versus enamel, I am sticking with Krylon (assuming I decide to still go the rattlecan route), as opposed to laquer, for two reasons: 1)I am under the impression that enamel is more durable than laquer, and 2)Krylon enamels have been recommended by those before me, that have had great success in doing this very kind of refin.

[/ QUOTE ]

the krylon stuff i've seen and used was lacquer. they do have enamel as well, but i'm pretty sure they do both.

i'm still standing by the 320 is way too gritty for color coats; if you have to shoot another color coat over something you sanded w/320, you'll probably have scratches showing through. at least you do w/automotive urethanes

sully

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, now that I've thoroughly confused myself, what is the Crsytal Clear? Laquer or Enamel?
    I'm not Ron!

Comment

Still a great thread. I'm all ready to paint. But I have to wait for good conditions here in the NW. Maybe June. Hell, it will take that long to warm up my body and the 'tars. So, I have plenty of time to look and learn. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
      I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

i believe it's acrylic laqcuer.
        Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
        Sully Guitars on Facebook
        Sully Guitars on Google+
        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

The I stand, corrected. I guess acrylic laquer Is the route I'm thinking of taking. Thanks, Sully. Any advice, concerning clearcoating over a vinyl decal? Instead of going the whole route of a PAINTED chinese dragon on this body, I forgot about the availability of vinyl decals, and have actually found a few nice ones, online. If clearcoating over it isn't such a good idea, I could always apply it AFTER the finish. At least, THAT way, I could take it off, if I so desired.
          I'm not Ron!

Comment

sure, just remember when you think you have enough clear on it, add another coat. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
            Sully Guitars on Google+
            Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Sully's right ... Krylon is an acrylic lacquer.
              I don't suggest EVER using enamels for guitars.

As for vinyl decals ... I don't recommend using them.
              Remember, Krylon takes a LONG time to cure.
              If you apply a decal over paint that has not FULLY cured, and then start shooting clearcoat over it, you could get some pretty funky results.

And remember, though it may be safe to wetsand after a 8-week period, the paint still isn't fully cured for up to a year, so the "funky" results may not be immediately noticable, but in time, it will look worse and worse.

It's also my opinion that when using Krylon, "less is more".
              The amount of clearcoat that will be needed to level off a vinyl decal will just prolong the time needed for your body to fully cure that much more.
              And again, I just don't think the final results are going to be what you're looking for.

JMO

Comment

yeah, what he said! i think that i have to stop giving tips based on my experience with catalyzed polys. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
                Sully Guitars on Google+
                Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Yeah, he basically comfirmed what I was beginning to think. Man, we should really have a sticky up, that gives definitions of the different types of paints (Acrylic versus nitro, laquer versus enamel versus polys, etc), as well as maybe some simple guidelines and tips. I'd love to help, but OBVIOUSLY I'm not the man for the job! lol.
                  I'm not Ron!

Comment

we're workin on it.
                    Sully Guitars on Google+
                    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      For grins, I'm posting pics of my spray booth that was in my living room. I've been using it for the last 4 years. It's now in the family room to get more space. It's made from 1" X 4", some plastic sheet, masonite and is 4' X 4' X 8' tall. It uses a Range Hood I got from Home Depot. The roof comes off and the entire unit folds flat for storage. (Hinged together) It's done 12 guitars, 16 necks, 4 motorcycle frames, 6 motorcycle tanks, car parts, etc. from Nitro to Urethane polys, to Krylon. As you can see I have very light colored carpet, so no worries. This babe is air tight. I have to redo the exhaust ducting since I have moved it but it still works. I just open the window, move the blank into position, slide the window down to lock it in place and go.

This little compressor does everything except Poly Primers (thick stuff, not enough cfm). I switch to my 5 horse compressor in the garage for Poly primers. I have to run a hose from the garage to the back of the house. It's a pain, but quieter. I'm still improving on the air tightness (dust/lint control) and always is a work in progress.

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="aqua">very interesting, thanks for posting that. I have a question concerning the fan. I thought the exhaust fan had to be a special kind because of the fumes being combustible? Are the fans in the range hoods built this way? </font>
                      Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Yo Budman,
                        It's a kitchen range hood. The motor is explosion proof UL Listed. It has to be because of grease and cooking fumes.
                        Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

I take it your single? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Either that or your wife is a saint. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Yea, been there done that. Just myself now! Actually, a friend of mine and his wife were over checking out my motorcycles, which I have a few in the house on display as well, really liked the idea of doing the work out of the weather. I've got to find me one of those! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                            Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              Yo Budman,
                              It's a kitchen range hood. The motor is explosion proof UL Listed. It has to be because of grease and cooking fumes.

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="aqua">ah, good point, thank you again - [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img] </font>
                              Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

great thread!!

I'm surprised nobody brought up waterbase guitar lacquers,
                                aren't they a good alternative?

Comment

Working...
                                X