No announcement yet.

H-S-S config - you use the middle S?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I never use the middle pickup and generally lower it as far as it can go so it's outta my way. That said most of my guitars are dual or single hum only, and the ones with a middle single I rarely play. I get the sounds I'm after without using a middle pickup.

Comment

I love using the S-S PUs out of phase for that great funk sound.
      Just a guitar player...

Comment

in the soloist i am using the stock jackson single coils to be honerst...and yeah the middle single coil by itself isnt powerful at all...i have a bartolini passive in the bridge and when used in conjunction with the middle single coil it's glassy...when used in conjunction with neck sc it's an out of phase sound like thru an am radio...d.m.
        http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Devane.ASP

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Torquestra.ASP

Comment

I agree with most I lower the middle otherwise I tear it up while attacking, I do use the middle for lower/softer sections. For majority Metal Rhythm I use the bridge/middle at the same time.

Comment

I lowered the middle in my s-s-s SD Charvie, its still not low enough, but its better then normal. I use hot rails so I still get decent tone out of it is I want it, which is rare - most of the time I kill the volume to the middle s and use it a kill set when I toggle to the from 4th position to the 3rd position on the 5 way.
            "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

I like this setup.

Comment

I'm most a H/H guy, but some times I enjoy playing with the middle SC of my DK1

Comment

I have to lower the middle pup tho otherwise it would tend to get in the way.

I've used the middle position typically in a combo with the bridge in a 5 way on a strat. I had it wired it so it was out of phase with the bridge pos.

This gave an interesting tone.. a little more edge to the lone bridge tone. Kind of a nasal mid..airy character which a single could add. If I thought it was a little to much.. I sometimes rolled off the crispness a couple numbers with the tone pot for the middle pup.

I like the H/S setups too tho like most have mentioned..5FX, 3DR etc.
                  Last edited by charvelguy; 06-24-2006, 01:40 PM.

Comment

Iv'e never really had much of a problem w/ s-s-s, h-s-h, or h-s-s guitars. I don't generally use the middle pickup unless I use it w/ the neck pickup for clean sounds.
                    KV DM PRO, SLSXMG, RRXMG, DXMG, LP P90 Goldtop_GSP1101_RM4: JF SL-OD100_Randall RT2/50_Peavey 4x12 cab
                    I'm loving the Jaded Faith mods. Going Egnater Dual mod route: Voxless, SL-OD100, Brahma #39, QuickMod GT

Comment

i got a dinky 2 with h/s/s, still got the stock ducan designed pickups
                      usually i dont use the middle single coil because it doesnt sound right.. wai too bright and just cant get a good sound with it..
                      but, it sounds awesome combined with the single coil neck or the humbucker in the bridge

and i never had a problem picking.. i usually pick between the middle and the neck pickups... sometimes for more smoothness i pick above the neck p/u
                      If the crowd is shouting for an encore, but the sound guy is shaking his head, ignore him and play anyway

Comment

I modified the picture of Jim's Soloist pictured below, so you can now click it and read the great story Jim wrote up on his (old) site.
                        I think it deserves it!

Originally posted by Jim Shine
                        I like this setup.

Henrik
                        AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Jim that's easily one of the best soloists I've ever seen! Great looking guitar

And about the middle pick-up I also don't use them. They cause much trouble on stage I can't get that f.cking switch on the right position each time.

I never had a single hum guitar but I'd like to, just because of this, to have a simpler setup on stage. But two pickups and a 3 way switch is also just fine...
                          Check my bands!
                          www.myspace.com/magicktr
                          www.myspace.com/sinif64
                          www.myspace.com/dementiatr

Comment

Originally posted by Dave L
                            I use the middle singles a lot, actually... and mostly for various clean tones.
                            Me too. I've never had problems hitting it with my pick..

I do agree that it doesn't look good, except on strats.
                            "I hate these filthy neutrals! With enemies, you know where they stand. But with neutrals... who knows? It sickens me!"

Comment

I use middle S for 2nd and 4th switch position, this Strat-licke "quacky-twangy" clean tone that I like so much. I lower middle PU because I tend to pick very hard and on certain occation pretty deep "diigging out" the chords. For two pu's combination it is not much of an issue level-wise. Never use middle single alone. On my most recent axe (H-S-H) I have it combined with split coils of resperctive humbucker in 2nd and 4th switch position, and the 3rd position of the switch is two split coils in parallel ("tele" kind of tone)
                              Last edited by Carbophos; 06-26-2006, 02:38 AM.
                              Because I don't say it
                              Doesn't mean I ain't thinking it

Comment

i never use middle single coil, and so my choose for my new guitar is on dx10d (H-H configuration)

Comment

Working...
                                X