No announcement yet.

DK2M JT580lp to OFR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had two mid '90s Dinky Reverse models and a Kelly XLR with the JT580LP trem... they all stayed in tune and worked just fine.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by tanpsi View Post
      I see there is a larger gap on the left and the back corners, which is just cosmetic, but it would be nice if jackson made the liscensed versions the exact demension as an OFR, but that's being picky I guess!
      I agree. The only way I would make the swap would be if it was in a black guitar, as the gap is less noticeable. I know it's purely cosmetic, but I still can't get over how ghetto it looks on anything other than black as it is SO obvious.

Comment

My old DR3 with a 580LP stayed in tune for MONTHS... let alone one live gig... I kid you not!
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFn-5BTQ8uU

Comment

Originally posted by Robotechnology View Post
          My old DR3 with a 580LP stayed in tune for MONTHS... let alone one live gig... I kid you not!
          dude...my string changing routine.

1) block the trem
          2) remove all locking clamps and strings
          3) clean guitar
          4) restring, tune, gently pull on strings (but dont stretch! never stretch...just need to make sure theyre tight around the tuning post!) and retune until gentle tugging wont detune strings.
          5) lock the clamps at the nut
          6) whammy about 20 times...check tuning...fine tune.

i swear to you, that i have done this on both my RR3 and DX10, and i rarely have to touch the fine tuners. the RR3 has them all at the same height, and the DX10 has the high E down a little, the rest are in line. stay in tune? you freakin' bet they will!
          My metal band Lucian Scott
          Debut Album Defiance on the Steps of Heaven
          Available Now!
          New Album Coming Soon!

Lucian Scott Soundclick

Soundclick page : clips and jams

Comment

Originally posted by Robotechnology View Post
            months at a time or just for its whole life lol, nah i dont care, i'm guessing the tremolo should never need replacing, and seeing as i dont have a feel really for floyds i should be happy with it. I'm working on not leaning on the bridge, or anchoring and have found its increased my speed ability a bit.... only got back into guitar seriously the last couple of months... i practice 3 hours a day, and 2 hours of that would be a couple of sweeping patterns. i have a break 1 day a week..... I'm fennessed on getting one thing down before moving on, and i have 2 guitar teachers... damn i'm serious. I'm even thinking of going for the music diplomas over 4 years (bugger uni) and trying to pick up work in the technical side of it (eg sound tech/repairer), or sales rep or something..... failing that i should be able to score a spot at uni after i get my diplomas to get a teaching degree... then i could get a job at a school teaching music...

hmm i dont know why i posted all that but yous might wanna comment i dunno... 1 day to i may be able to get the guitar....

Sorry, i removed the sale thingy... wasnt that serious but sorry
            Last edited by rockstar_jones; 11-10-2006, 02:31 AM.

Comment

just careful pimping your stuff for sale here, young'un. It's against the rules
              Hail yesterday

Comment

do you need to change the anchor posts too if you drop an OFR in there?
                My Guitars
                Hohner HW-200 (Natrual Grain)
                Slammer By Hamer XP-1 Standard (Wine Red)
                Kramer 1984 Custom (Bullseye Black)
                Squier Affinity Series P-Bass (Black)
                Epiphone Les Paul Classic (Black)
                Takamine EG531SSC (Black)
                Kramer Vanguard S-440S
                Kramer Proaxe Standard (Black Sparkle)
                Epiphone Zakk Wylde Les Paul Custom (Camo)
                Kramer F-1000 (Black)
                Ibanez RG-370 (Urban Digital Camo)

Comment

Originally posted by Shwayman11 View Post
                  do you need to change the anchor posts too if you drop an OFR in there?
                  Nope... just swap the trem... all the rest of the parts are compatible.
                  -Rick

Comment

Hey just an update for ya'll. I bought the guitar today, i;m picking it up on wednesday. I was quite happy with the trem for stock strings and not properly setup... i Abused the shit out of it for about a minute and it stayed in tune fine so i'm quite happy.

The sales person was a total fuckhead though.... he was like one of those people who is like "oh this kid is 15 he mustn't know anything..." hmmm seriously... really pissed me off but oh well... Telling me to never take all the strings off and that i'll need to take it there every couple of months to have it setup due to the weather and shit... and to not touch the truss rod or the action.... hmmm oh well i told him i want the action to the thickness of a 20 cent coin or there abouts the whole way.... he called me lazy and said i wont be able to raise the notes with the trem cause it will hit the fretboard.... a 20 cent piece is enough room.... And as for the neck.... if the action is like 4mms at one end and 2 at the other then i think something needs to happened with the neck.... oh and the baseplate of the trem... the chunk of it that i'd assume should be lined up with the body.... he said it doesnt need to and showed me the ibanez trems that have a marker.... welll theres no marked on the JT580lp... and where the ibanez marker would be on the 580lp wasnt level.... so hmmm.... hopefully the tech who wasnt there today (i spoke to the other day) will do it properly......

I'm just hoping i dont break to many strings lol.... the sales person broke a string when he told me i wouldnt be able to raise it much if i lowered the action.... i felt kinda good though cause he broke a string when he said it... stock strings though and not a setup guitar so i'm feelin good... it looks killer and played sweet for not being to overly setup and with an uneven action that was over twice my normal action....

I cant wait :P sorry for the long post

Comment

that dude doesnt know what hes talking about. you dont have to take it there to get the strings changed...they just take patience the first time or two, till you understand how it all works together. same with setup...just take patience.
                      you wont have to take it every couple months to get a setup...maybe once a year, sometimes not even that depending on if the guitar is going to be mostly in a controlled environment (like your house).

how much action is a 20 cent piece? LOL i have mine set around 2mm around the 12th fret on my guitars, and i dont have any problems raising the pitch with the bar.
                      My metal band Lucian Scott
                      Debut Album Defiance on the Steps of Heaven
                      Available Now!
                      New Album Coming Soon!

Lucian Scott Soundclick

Soundclick page : clips and jams

Comment

If you want the quality of the Original Floyd, but with shorter locking screws, just get the Schaller version. Hell, Schaller makes both of them anyway now. The Schaller one is also known as the Floyd 2. So there is the Original Floyd-Floyd 2 and Floyd LP. Jack.

Comment

Working...
                        X