No announcement yet.

Stripping Neck on Les Paul

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can someone fill me in on who "Paul from Big Head" is?

Comment

Originally posted by Thrust View Post
      Can someone fill me in on who "Paul from Big Head" is?
      google BigHeadGuitars. I would do it but you would have to ship it to me so that is why I recommended Paul.

Comment

Originally posted by Bengal65 View Post
        Sell it and get a Zakk Wylde Les Paul Custom (maple neck back). I wouldn't remove the existing finish. I presume your neck is mahogany. IMO oil finishes on Mah necks is too risky. Too much open grain, thus can pick up moisture and be sensitive to temperature changes and warping. If you can't afford a Zak, I'd scuff the finish as mentioned above. Just my .02 cents.
        I only did mine because it was partially worn away already and it was a Maple... figured no worries... so far so good!

Comment

Greg at BCR Music in Lemoyne does incredible work. He has the photos to prove it. He is also a Les Paul freak.
          http://www.bcrmusic.com/index.htm

Comment

I had the problem for a bit on my LPC. it would gum up and get sticky. So i took some fine grit rbbing compound and cleaned the neck. It didnt scratch or anything and it's still orginal with no fiish damage. But it seemed to help the gummieness to the neck. I havnt had the problem since.
            Gil

Comment

Paul at Bigheadguitars:http://www.bigheadguitars.com/ He is in Northern Cambria, PA
              Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Try MicroMesh, you can get it through Stew-Mac, it was developed to polish Fighter Jet windows. You can easily take your neck to a nice satin feel, and then if you want go to finer grades to put a super shine back on it should you need to reatore it to sell. I did this to my Historic LP, initially I was going to go for the Satin feel, but I ended up liking the feel of the polished neck, takes ALL the stickiness out of the finish and leaves it super smooth and fast. It's incredibly simple as well, just wet sand through all the grades until you get to the desired feel, takes maybe a half hour and is one of the single biggest improvements you can make to your guitar. You can also use it on the edges of the finger board to increase comfort.

Comment

Working...
                X