Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Removing bolt-on neck

Originally posted by Ace:
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by jsullysix:
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by quadperson:
    I need to remove a neck too. I've got an old Peavey Tracer in banana yellow and the low E string is too close to the top of the fretboard. Likewise, the high string has plenty of room. I was thinking that I can take the neck off, shim in the top part of the neck pocket and straighten it back out. Any thoughts?
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">unscrew the bolts about 1/2 way, shift the neck in the direction you need to go, then retighten. should take care of it for ya.

sully
    </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">WAIT A MINUTE!! The problem that he described was with his action, and the fix that you gave him was for neck alignment!! If the strings are too close to the fretboard, you need to adjust your action at the bridge, DO NOT shim your neck crooked!!
    </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">No, Ace, the way I'm reading it, I think he means the low E string is too close to the edge of the fretboard while the high E has more space, so Sully is right. And it seems that was the problem, as he (Quadperson) replied and said it worked.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

So by top you think he meant the end of the fretboard that is closest to his chin when he had the guitar in playing position? It does make sense that way, when he was saying top of the fretboard I was thinking of the surface of the fretboard. And then I was picturing him shimming UNDERNEATH half the neck to adjust the action. That had me sort of weirded out picturing that. Wow, that's why I don't like using directions that are subject to change or perspective. Like "top" or "bottom" or "left" or "right". Thanks for clearing that one up for me!! I would have walked around all day fearing that people were shimming their necks twisted!! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Yeah, I knew when I was typing that it was gonna come across all goofy-footed. But, yeah I meant the edge of the fretboard. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
        I still keep practicing though.... Mostly because I hate my neighbors.-MakeAJazzNoiseHere

Comment

So it seems to me, that there is some space left in the neck pocket. Why wouldn't they make it so there is no way your neck can move up or down? Wouldn't that be a better way to build guitars?

Comment

Originally posted by metafaza:
            So it seems to me, that there is some space left in the neck pocket. Why wouldn't they make it so there is no way your neck can move up or down? Wouldn't that be a better way to build guitars?
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Ideally, that's the way they fit. In the real world there is often slack, either from cutting the neck pocket too big, or by wear on both the neck heel and the pocket.

Comment

And it may be the reason they invented neck-through design. Takes care of that plus gives a different sound.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace:
                So by top you think he meant the end of the fretboard that is closest to his chin when he had the guitar in playing position? It does make sense that way, when he was saying top of the fretboard I was thinking of the surface of the fretboard. And then I was picturing him shimming UNDERNEATH half the neck to adjust the action. That had me sort of weirded out picturing that. Wow, that's why I don't like using directions that are subject to change or perspective. Like "top" or "bottom" or "left" or "right". Thanks for clearing that one up for me!! I would have walked around all day fearing that people were shimming their necks twisted!! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">ace, ya poor bastard! it took me a minute to figure out his question too... but yes a "treble side" and "bass side" from time to time goes a long way, eh?

sully
                Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                Sully Guitars on Facebook
                Sully Guitars on Google+
                Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

My low E string didn't have as much fretboard as the high E string...would that have been easier? Anyway, I don't understand the slack either. This is my third Tracer and the first two were excellent. I got this one off ebay because it was bright yellow and I was jonesing for a yellow guitar. You can usually find these very cheap and they are made in USA. I like 'em. I think Sully's right though, bass side and treble side would have been a little clearer.
                  I still keep practicing though.... Mostly because I hate my neighbors.-MakeAJazzNoiseHere

Comment

Working...
                  X