No announcement yet.

bolt vs neck thru

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My DK-2T sustains longer than my SL2-HT neck-through. both are made of alder body/maple neck. If only the SL2-HT had a rose-wood finger-board, it could have been a very close 1:1 comparison.
    Sam

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
      On one side you have the math and science engineering lab dudes with all their equations and theories (and sometimes facts) backing up the neck-thrus, and on the other side you got the "keepin it real" bolt-on dudes saying "you guys don't know dick, I've got a bolty that fawkin RIPS!!!"
      You have a weird idea about science. Lab dudes are sceptics by nature. They want measurments, samples and data; hard facts to build a theory on - not loose, speculative ideas about glue, vibrations or mojo. Unfortunately, both the neck-through bigot camp and the bolt-on bigot camp are lacking lab dudes.

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
        Haha, very true. On one side you have the math and science engineering lab dudes with all their equations and theories (and sometimes facts) backing up the neck-thrus, and on the other side you got the "keepin it real" bolt-on dudes saying "you guys don't know dick, I've got a bolty that fawkin RIPS!!!"
        Originally posted by Sunbane View Post
        You have a weird idea about science. Lab dudes are sceptics by nature. They want measurments, samples and data; hard facts to build a theory on - not loose, speculative ideas about glue, vibrations or mojo. Unfortunately, both the neck-through bigot camp and the bolt-on bigot camp are lacking lab dudes.
        that was just a back-handed way to say that the "truth" is that neckthru has more sustain, and bolt-on players let their emotions get the better of them when they say that bolt-ons do.

what you all are doing is letting this petty argument distract you from the REAL TRUTH - and that is that red guitars have more sustain. And you put some pinstripes on a red guitar?! Watch out!!
        Hail yesterday

Comment

most of these myths are simply that myths. Kev 83SD & i got a bunch of our guitars together & had a little jam. he had a shit load of BOLT ON charvels & dimarzio's I brought NECKTHRU BCRichs. we were both surprised at what we heard. all maple neckthru's werent as bright as some alder bodied bolt ons. sustain no real difference tho some guitars of each construction did stand out. ive been mainly a BCR neckthru player for yrs, tho i own a bunch of neckthrus. IMHO action & string size, effect sustain more than how its made. big strings, med high action, sustains far better than 8's with shredder low action.....it also has better tone IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
            that was just a back-handed way to say that the "truth" is that neckthru has more sustain, and bolt-on players let their emotions get the better of them when they say that bolt-ons do.
            Well I didn't mean to "back hand" anyone, but yes, I lean towards the neck-thru camp slightly. Honestly though, I think the wood type, bridge design, overall build quality, and other random factors have way more to do with sustain than anything else.

And...to further support my argument...I have a neck-thru that FREEEKIN RAWKS!!! lol

LB

Comment

Originally posted by j2379 View Post
              IMHO action & string size, effect sustain more than how its made. big strings, med high action, sustains far better than 8's with shredder low action.....it also has better tone IMHO
              Also good points, I think we are pretty much saying the same thing!

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
                what you all are doing is letting this petty argument distract you from the REAL TRUTH - and that is that red guitars have more sustain. And you put some pinstripes on a red guitar?! Watch out!!
                You've got that bass ackwards. Red ones just play faster.

Comment

String size, action, fret size, bridge type, nut type, amp/fx (i.e. Compression, Gain), as well as individual technique (picking style/attack/fretting) affect sustain way more than construction.
                  I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Sunbane View Post
                    You've got that bass ackwards. Red ones just play faster.
                    Speed is really a function of aerodynamics. Pointy shapes like King V's and Rhoads just fly by Dinkies and Kellies. ESPECIALLY the ones that don't have big blocky neck heels.

Comment

Working...
                    X