Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My afternoon of guitar "techery", full of problems and revelations (5 trem springs).

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My afternoon of guitar "techery", full of problems and revelations (5 trem springs).

Originally posted by Dreamland_Rebel:
    i have now switched back to 3 springs in standard V pattern
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Why the V pattern? I've read somewhere that when in the V pattern that the springs can twist and it's not as stable, but I did that for a little bit and didn't have a problem. I just prefer to use them in the normal up and down pattern anyway.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Re: My afternoon of guitar &quot;techery&quot;, full of problems and revelations (5 trem springs).

Crap, I just remembered that the three trem springs in the Soloist were in the V pattern before I started adding extra springs. After I gave up, I had set up the guitar back up but had the springs parallel to each other in positions 1, 3, and 5. Bahhhh, it didn't make a difference in feel anyways. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

And I actually made a topic last summer about going to five trem springs total and it was highly recommended and what I got out of that topic was that it was an easy transition recommended by Sully and Black Mariah, two JCFers who I trust VERY HIGHLY UPON for my guitar tech information/knowledge (and rightly so). Black Mariah uses five springs to counter his heavy picking hand and to give the Floyd a stiffer feel since he accused us three-spring-users to be wusses who can't muscle the trem bar or something. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] And I think it was Sully who said five springs total replicated the feel of a hardtail. Indeed it did when I had the five springs on, but this setup lost all it's "magic" when I actually started playing with the bar and say the spring loops sliding off the claw.

In conclusion, the playability of three trem springs is fine, but anything to make the guitar play better is always interesting and I'll try anything once. I have moved on from this cool little experiment with a LOT of gained knowledge and personal experience.

By the way, the 9-46 hybrid set is AWESOME. Bending on the G, B, and E strings has never been easier. As far as sound goes, I can't tell a difference from the reduced tension of the thinner gauge. It's like light mayonnaise... tastes the same but your pants fit you better. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Re: My afternoon of guitar &quot;techery&quot;, full of problems and revelations (5 trem springs).

Yeah, I'm guessing it was due to the different spring type. Comparing them side by side, the OFR springs are a little bit shorter than the extra trem springs I had lying around.

Comment

Working...
        X