Pickup Info needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickup Info needed

I have been wanting to changes the pups on a project I have working on. I have also been reading a lot of the stuff posted in the tech section this morning. I have compared pups in Model series guitars I have and there are very noticeable differences in them. (not all stock pups)

I know fellow members have compared the J-80 to a Super Distortion, but I don't hear it. The specs are very similar. I have a tech sheet for the J-series pups when did the M-series come around and is there any tech sheets on them available? On the J-series pups what do the letters stand for after the number? J-90 vs. J-90c and so forth.

Can one effectively compare pickups via tech specs? I know that all the major manufactures have their specs on their websites. Everyone has their own opinion on what pups they like and dis-like, so I don't want to go there. I really like the Super Distortion and the Super 3. I have a Model 3 I was wanting to put a Super 2 & 3 into. I really want to check that out.

Is there a question here, yeah a few. I guess I was wondering if anybody has any links for any good info on understanding pickups and making good choices when upgrading. I found this: http://www.till.com/articles/PickupResponse/index.html
    But it doesn't cover some of the stuff talked about in another thread about resistance vs output.

Sorry I was so long winded.
    Just one more guitar!

scotty: J90"C"= ceramic

On the Semour Duncan site,( I know were talking about Jackson Pups) they have sound bites as well as a nice description,output (icons, if its hot,cool etc) but they also explain the in & outs. I like that the have a "Bass-Mid-Treb" and use #'s accordingly next to each Pup so I can say compare a Custom 5 to a JB,look at the.
    Last edited by ADR; 09-05-2007, 12:29 PM.
    Henrik Danhage Sig Heavy Relic

Comment

Originally posted by scotty View Post
      I know fellow members have compared the J-80 to a Super Distortion, but I don't hear it. The specs are very similar. I have a tech sheet for the J-series pups when did the M-series come around and is there any tech sheets on them available? On the J-series pups what do the letters stand for after the number? J-90 vs. J-90c and so forth.
      N = Neck
      B = Bridge
      C = "Ceramic" (these have a ceramic magnet insteadn of an alnico one)

I have a J-80C in my Model 6, and I don't think it is particularly similar to the DD. The Duncan has more output for one thing, and doesn't sound as...thick?...as the J-80C. I also feel that the J-80C may have more emphasis in the upper mids, but I'm not entirely sure on that (I have them in different axes, and I don't feel like swapping them around at this point).

Other JCFers have described the J-80C more as a cross between a JB and a Duncan Custom.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunbane View Post
        I have a J-80C in my Model 6, and I don't think it is particularly similar to the DD.
        Sunbane,

He said Super Distortion, as in DiMarzio. I almost made the same mistake, as we don't here much about the Super Distortion any more.

Comment

Scotty, there's a wealth of good info on the Duncan site. This page here is pretty good without being overly technical:

Hand-crafted electric guitar pickups, acoustic guitar pickups, bass pickups and pedals. Helping musicians find their signature sound since 1976.

IMO, one of the most useful specs is resonant peak. Using that, the basic EQ specs, and output numbers really helps, but there's no substitute for trial & error. Sometimes you think you've got it all figured out, you get a new guitar & drop in a pickup you're sure will work, and it just doesn't sound as awesome as expected. Messing around with different pickups with different woods & types of construction really helps.

Comment

Found this on the Duncan site as well:http://www.seymourduncan.com/comparetones
            Henrik Danhage Sig Heavy Relic

Comment

thanks for all the good info. Here is an example of what I was calling M-series pups. http://cgi.ebay.com/Jackson-Humbucke...QQcmdZViewItem
              When did these come are around and is the a PDF on them?
              Just one more guitar!

Comment

Pretty sure those are Kent Armstrong OEM pickups.

Here are some specs. These are newer models with adjustable pole pieces, but I bet the magnets, resistance, etc. are the same:

-edit- I just read the translated descriptions:

"This is a first-rate work high-pitched bring in humbucker at a slayer damage. Great Bang against the go against. Works intimately in a partner off, or as a make out place congratulate to the M215K. 4 music director wiring with respect to curl tapping options."

Last edited by dg; 09-06-2007, 08:29 AM.

Comment

Is there a newer version of this? http://audiozone.dk/CatalogScans/Jac...87/index.htm#8
                  &
                  Just one more guitar!

Comment

Originally posted by dg View Post
                    Great Bang against the go against.
                    :ROTF:

Comment

Working...
                    X