EMG 81 or 85

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: EMG 81 or 85

Alright, perhaps a rephrasing is in order... I find that the EMG-81 lacks lows to me. It just doesn't sound as thick and juicy and open as the EMG-85.

Comment

I agree on the 81 sounding the same in whatever guitar you are using, but an 85 is a different kind of story IMO. I have played one in a EBMM luke and in my charvel 750 and there is definatly a different kind of response and tone. The 81 kills the character of a guitar, the 85 does not

harrald

Comment

my Rhoads pro (neck through) has double 81's and sounds great, and my model 3 had the 85 in the bridge. i'm loving the 85! its so much more meaty than the 81, lately the 81 has been sounding "thin" IMO.

but nothing is soundine better than the APC persuader lead.
        its "clearer" than the 81, more meaty than the 85, more punch than the Duncan Distortion, and more sustain than anything out there that isn't a sustainer. and its passive!
        Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          Go with a EMG 89 their best pickup. I've got 81,85& 89 in the bridge of and I prefer the 89 to the other two. Next I like the 85 I don't understand how everyone says that the 81 has more high end I just don't hear it that way. The 81 sounds way more compressed and lacks highs.

[/ QUOTE ]
          JTR: I have RR1 with EMGs 60n/81b. I'm looking for a more warmer bridge tone (like the 60 has! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]). So, do the 89 has the same sound balance/kick of the 85? How about the single coil mode, does it need any other accessory to rise the output up to the humbucker mode/bridge PU level? Advice appreciated, My doubts are about 85 Vs 89. Thanks.
          SERGIO

Comment

If you use an accessory to boost the output, the single coil mode is redundant. The whole point of using the EMG-89 in single coil mode is to get a slightly weaker, cleaner, glassier sound.

Taken from EMG's website:

Question: Is there supposed to be a volume difference between the single coil and humbucking portions of the EMG-89?

Answer: There is a noticeable difference in gain between the single-coil and humbucking portions of the EMG-89. It's design reflects the fact that single-coils generally have less gain. Obviously, there are tone differences as well, but the gain difference is also a factor. You can compensate for the gain difference by putting an EMG-PA2 (pre-amp booster) on the single-coil portion of the EMG-89. However as the gain of the single coil is increased, there will be less difference in sound between the single-coil and humbucking portions of the EMG-89.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              JTR: I have RR1 with EMGs 60n/81b. I'm looking for a more warmer bridge tone (like the 60 has! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]).

[/ QUOTE ]
              The 60 is the brightest sounding pickup EMG makes. You're using it in the neck so it sounds warm there because it's in the neck position. It would probably sound as bright or brighter than the 81 in the bridge. The 85 or 89 is definitely what you want for the bridge.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                Depends, I guess. Maybe I just had great luck. My 85 was in my alder KE3, rosewood on maple bolt-on neck.

There was a time before I tried EMGs where I believed that I would go for the 81 in the bridge, obviously due to the influence of Metallica, Slayer, and Zakk Wylde using that particular pickup in the bridge as the "definitive heavy metal bridge pickup". Originally, I wanted the Zakk 81b/85n configuration for my KE3, but then decided to go against the grain for whatever reason, getting an 85b/89n off Ebay for decent prices. Incredibly, it worked out fantastically. If Flux ever slaps an EMG-81 in my KE3, I will personally fly over to the east coast and kick his arse... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

The great thing about current EMGs are that the pickups themselves are connected to the wires through their special quick-clips, so you can change the pickups to other quick-clipped EMGs to find your perfect ones. This lends the EMGs to easy experimentation. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] We've had some JCFers with recent Jackson DK1s where they've swapped the Zakk configuration that they originally come with and were absolutely pleased with their results. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

i'll NEVER change this pickup config.. EVER
                this guitar totally owns with the config... if i ever get another kelly (USA KE2T someday.. if i ever find a used one.. ) i'll do the same config.

Comment

Working...
                X