X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dg View Post
    Kevan's (Tremol-No inventor) answer:

http://www.tremol-no.com/forums/show...ight=big+block
    Once again, thank you DG. I tried to access the Tremol-No forums a few times recently and apparently they were down. I thought they had been taken down permanently.

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
      I was just browsing on their site and was looking at the titanium Floyd saddles... $795!!!!!

That costs nearly as much as my USA Soloist.

The brass sustain blocks are interesting though.

Interestingly, as I was considering the titanium sustain block, I was under the impression that titanium was considered a "lightweight" metal. Strong, but lightweight nonetheless. Funny how that goes with their mass=sustain selling point.

EDIT: Where is the cheapest place I can get a brass sustain block in 42mm non-recessed size for OFR? FloydUpgrades.com? His eBay account? A machinist on the JCF? Thanks.
      Adam direct (floydupgrades)
      EDIT #2: How do I replace the stock sustain block on my OFR? Never had to take it apart before. Thanks!
      1. Remove the strings
      2. Remove the string lock screws.
      3. Loosen the saddle lock screws and remove the saddles Hint: Mark the saddle locations with a small pieces of masking tape as a reference when reinstalling. I do this at the front edge of the plate. It helps to getting your intonation back quickly.
      4. Remove the 3 screws holding the block through the base plate. Take note of the saddle string lock tab and rectangular spacer underneath.
      5. Install the new block with rectangular spacer and retainer. Note the orientation of the spring holes forward towards the neck.
      6. Reinstall the saddles to proper location, tighten the saddle lock screws.
      7. Reinstall string lock bolts loosely.
      8. Install strings
      9. Check intonation.

EDIT #3: Phil Collen has these on at least one of his Jackson PC1s. How bitchin' would it be if Jackson started using these standard on all their PC1s, or better yet, ALL USA Selects?!
      Yep, $1,526 increase in MSRP

EDIT #4: Because these big blocks are about twice as thick as the stock sustain blocks, do you guys still get the same amount of range with divebombing and pulling up on the Floyd, or does the big block bump into the trem cavity and limit the range?
      No range problems
      Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Thanks, Bengal65!

The seller won't respond to my questions about shipping to Canada. I won't be buying from him.

Comment

Really?...he's usually quite good with emails, and had no problems shipping to Australia, Canada should be fine.

Comment

I just wanted to drop in and say that I installed one of these on my SL2H last night and I couldn't believe the difference. I was expecting to have to really pay attention to be able to tell....something really subtle. It wasn't. From the first few notes I played I knew it felt completely different.

Buy one already!

Comment

ESP japan sells tungsten saddles for tune-o-matic bridges for $1300

Comment

Okay, I actually had contacted his eBay account (I was browsing the big blocks there) and he never replied. But due to Genebaby's encouragement, I e-mailed him through his official website, got a very quick reply, and now ordered a 42mm brass big block. Can't wait to get it and install it!

Thanks everyone!

Comment

Good stuff.

I did this to four of my guitars, including my main player and I gotta say i can't tell too much of a difference myself. My guitars sounded good before and still do. Not sure if I want to complete the conversion of the remaining guitars, but I probably will, just so they are all the same.

Comment

will he make 32mm L block?
                    "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post

Interestingly, as I was considering the titanium sustain block, I was under the impression that titanium was considered a "lightweight" metal. Strong, but lightweight nonetheless. Funny how that goes with their mass=sustain selling point.
                      yeah, Titanium is very light but maybe they have processed the alloy so it has a lot of mass... I'm not sure... but it is possible to make a metal thicker and more massive.... some common known metals like iron for example is usually pretty light compared to some iron that can be found in space... one coffee cup filled with that iron can weight a couple of tons
                      "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Sorry to wake this thread up again, but I was wondering if anyone has fit a 37mm block in an SL2H. I'd like to get the most mass in there with an L block.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                          Sorry to wake this thread up again, but I was wondering if anyone has fit a 37mm block in an SL2H. I'd like to get the most mass in there with an L block.
                          I found this thread while searching tremol-no.

I put an L block in my SL2H, but if you want to keep the recessed cover, you need a 32mm. That is what I used. Also, be forewarned about the L-shaped block: you'll need to route or dremmel a bit of wood out of the trem recess to get full range of your trem.
                          The Guitars:
                          Jackson USA SL2H, Jackson Performer PS-4, Gibson Les Paul Studio Gothic, Ibanez JS-1000, B.C. Rich Mockingbird ST, Martin GPCPA5 Acoustic, 14 Warmoth customs, Ibanez Artcore AS73, Ibanez Prestige SR1000EFM Bass
                          The Amps:
                          Peavey JSX 212 with JSX 412 cabinet, Ampeg B2R with Ampeg Portaflex PF210HE cabinet

Comment

Originally posted by DocNrock View Post
                            I found this thread while searching tremol-no.

I put an L block in my SL2H, but if you want to keep the recessed cover, you need a 32mm. That is what I used. Also, be forewarned about the L-shaped block: you'll need to route or dremmel a bit of wood out of the trem recess to get full range of your trem.
                            Day late and a dollar short -

I went with the 37mm non L. I didn't want to route my cavity as you mentioned.

I have the cover off at the moment because I need to take a dremmel to the 37mm Brass block to recess the springs. One the springs are "sunk into" the brass block I'll be able to put the back cover back on.

So did you do a 32mm L or a 37mm L? What do you think of the change in tone? I really can't tell a difference, but I sleep better at night

No different than putting a lightweight tailpiece on my Les Paul and all of the other stupid little money wasting modifications I've done

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                              Day late and a dollar short -

I went with the 37mm non L. I didn't want to route my cavity as you mentioned.

I have the cover off at the moment because I need to take a dremmel to the 37mm Brass block to recess the springs. One the springs are "sunk into" the brass block I'll be able to put the back cover back on.

So did you do a 32mm L or a 37mm L? What do you think of the change in tone? I really can't tell a difference, but I sleep better at night

No different than putting a lightweight tailpiece on my Les Paul and all of the other stupid little money wasting modifications I've done
                              I went with a 32mm. Mine was installed by my luthier friend since the guitar needed an intonation, anyway. He said he had to dremmel away some wood to get full up and down range. I was unclear as to any improvement, but I did change pickups at the same time. I swapped the JB (mid-rich) out for a Steve's Special (mid-scooped), so it is hard to identify any change in tone specific to the block.

Edit: That said, I have a Warmoth Strat with EMGs and a Floyd. I just changed the strings today and had a 37mm L block uninstalled from my last order to Floydupgrades.com. I decided to go ahead and install it. There are two points that I'd like to make.

1) I don't know what is different about the Jackson trem route and the Warmoth trem route, but I didn't have to remove any wood to maintain the same up and down range with the Floyd.

2) This block REALLY fattened up the sound from the EMGs. This was at bedroom volumes (everyone is home right now). I can't wait to crank this up and see what the difference is.

All of my Floyds will now be receiving the big block!
                              Last edited by DocNrock; 01-01-2009, 08:28 PM.
                              The Guitars:
                              Jackson USA SL2H, Jackson Performer PS-4, Gibson Les Paul Studio Gothic, Ibanez JS-1000, B.C. Rich Mockingbird ST, Martin GPCPA5 Acoustic, 14 Warmoth customs, Ibanez Artcore AS73, Ibanez Prestige SR1000EFM Bass
                              The Amps:
                              Peavey JSX 212 with JSX 412 cabinet, Ampeg B2R with Ampeg Portaflex PF210HE cabinet

Comment

Somebody asked this earlier, and just to confirm....the big block fits a JT-590 Schaller?
                                Mike
                                ---------
                                1991 Dinky - Custom Shop
                                Dean EVO "Special Select"
                                Mesa/Boogie Mark IV
                                Mesa Rectifier 2x12

Comment

Working...
                                X