No announcement yet.

Am I sticking my neck out on this neck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I sanded the headstock a bit, and put 2 coats on there. The decal is under the original lacquer, so no worries there. Here's the neck buffed out after about 12 coats of lacquer. As you can see, I managed to keep some of the original "relic" look intact on the fingerboard and headstock.

Comment

Update! I spent all weekend doing the refret. The maple was soft around the 6 - 10th frets, and some glue was required to keep the ends down. The frets are 6105's, and it came out great. I've been tweaking the setup, and this thing kills. Next step: re-relicing of the fingerboard?

Comment

WW!

You've learned a lot in a very short time!
        Great job, Axe!

Personally, I would leave it as it is. Looks good!

Comment

Update! The look of the worn board under the pristine laquer was annoying me, so I did some minor re-relicing of the board with a dremel. It looked ok from a distance, but up close it did not look convincing. So, I sanded that whole mess off and re-laquered the sanded areas. It took a lot of time and I had to wait for breaks in the humidity. But, now it's really done, and it came out pretty darn good. It's not a relic anymore, but it does have a slightly aged look still.

Comment

Sweet!
            Nice work my brother!
            "Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
            --floydkramer

Comment

well,
              jackoson use clear gloss polyurethane on the back of the necks (the back of my ke2 and sl1 for example).
              they are shining and play fast.
              the sticky factor i think is common if you use clear gloss nitro cellulose, not polyurethane.

Comment

Working...
              X