Bad ground(wiring humbucker)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by slash View Post
    Add the trem and strings... Once you touch the strings you become the ground
    Yes, but it will still "buzz" when the strings/bridge are untouched correct? This will not do.

The unshielded wire coming off of the pup is short and I had to extend it with a shielded wire. Will this cause any issues? I rewired this thing at least 5 times and still I have ground probs. Any input is greatly appreaciated/

Rick

Comment

I'd get rid of that crimp connector and use something else. Maybe a loop of bare wire would work. And definitely use some more solder.

Here's a pic of how I wired my Charvel. Note that everything is grounded at one point, the screw in the body. I get ZERO hum/buzz with this guitar.

Guitars:
      '04 Jackson SL1 - Flametop Cabo Blue Trans Burst
      '94 Charvel Predator - Fire Crackle
      '77 Ibanez LP Custom Copy - Black
      Amp:
      VOX AD30VT

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.death View Post
        Yes, but it will still "buzz" when the strings/bridge are untouched correct? This will not do.

The unshielded wire coming off of the pup is short and I had to extend it with a shielded wire. Will this cause any issues? I rewired this thing at least 5 times and still I have ground probs. Any input is greatly appreaciated/

Rick
        It won't cause any problems, as long as the solder joint is good.

Turn the knob all the way down and see if it still buzzes.
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I think your problem is the soldering job.
          Take the iron and heat the back of the pot enough to melt a small pool of solder.Put some solder on the wire end.Then lay the wire on top of the pool touch the iron to the wire and it should all melt together and may a good connection.
          A good idea is to take fine grit sandpaper and rough the back of the pot so the solder will stick, alcohol will work too some pots have a clear film on them and solder has a hard time sticking to it.
          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
            It won't cause any problems, as long as the solder joint is good.

Turn the knob all the way down and see if it still buzzes.
            Does not buzz when volume is turned down.

Comment

Bad pot? Bad pickup? Maybe the internal bare wire is loose inside the coil?
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                Bad pot? Bad pickup? Maybe the internal bare wire is loose inside the coil?
                I think its a combination of weak solder joints, and that crimp connector.

All those grounds should be tied together in one spot with solid soldering.
                Guitars:
                '04 Jackson SL1 - Flametop Cabo Blue Trans Burst
                '94 Charvel Predator - Fire Crackle
                '77 Ibanez LP Custom Copy - Black
                Amp:
                VOX AD30VT

Comment

Working...
                X