Raised fret

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by thebeggar View Post
    I'll have to get a plastic hammer from the hardware shop. I assuming a rubber hammer will do the same job? What's a plastic hammer usually used for anyway?
    Hate Crimes.
    'Howling in shadows
    Living in a lunar spell
    He finds his heaven
    Spewing from the mouth of hell'

Comment

Originally posted by metalchurch79 View Post
      Hate Crimes.
      :ROTF: Thanks, needed that laugh. Although my keyboard didn't really need a bath. :ROTF:

Comment

Not sure what sort of answer I was expecting but fuck that sure wasn't it

Comment

Seriously I'm still laughing

Comment

Originally posted by thebeggar View Post
            I'll have to get a plastic hammer from the hardware shop. I assuming a rubber hammer will do the same job? What's a plastic hammer usually used for anyway?
            I'm sure a rubber one would be fine, just tap softer. you want to tap pretty softly anyways. don't use a metal one is the only real rule i think. do you have a straight edge to check if the fret is raised after you have hammered it a little?
            Last edited by Foulacy; 09-25-2008, 06:40 PM.

Comment

I do have a straight edge being a metal ruler. I also have some feeler gauges which I guess could be used on a smaller area. Thing with the ruler is that the neck has a fair amount of relief in it so it can quite often show a gap depending on where it is placed. Which is why something smaller might be useful.

Anyway I saw a rubber hammer at the auto store a little while ago so I might go down and pick one up. It's worth a try and it's all good experience.

Comment

You could try and set your neck at zero w/ no relief using your straight edge as a guide. Once you have that established, you could then check the frets.

And to answer an earlier question, I really dont know if hanging guitars by their neck would affect it.
                Perhaps you could start a new thread with that question to see what other people think about that.
                It could be a possibility that both of your necks have a slight twist as a result of you hanging them.
                I don't know for sure, but it's worth looking into especially if you have a shop fix it for you. You dont want it to recurr and possibly get worse next time.
                I'd like to know whether it affects anything myself. I'd say if the room is at a constant temp there should be no problem, but like I said I'm just guessing.

Sorry about the Hate Crimes post, I dont know why I said that, but I'm glad that I lightened the mood for a minute.

Rock on bro!
                'Howling in shadows
                Living in a lunar spell
                He finds his heaven
                Spewing from the mouth of hell'

Comment

That's ok buddy whenever I hear hate crimes mentioned on tv from now on I'm gonna think plastic hammer attack

Good idea about setting the neck to zero. I usually take truss rod adjustments pretty slow, so i'll straighten bit by bit over the next couple of days.

I've seen posts here and elsewhere about hanging guitars. The general consensus seems to be it's ok. I mean I go into the guitar shop and see em hanging $2000 guitars by the neck and they don't seem to fazed. The other point I read was about pressure and newton metres?? and that the neck joint had sufficient strength to hold the guitar. However people make arguments either way so.......

Anyway I just bought a hammer with rubber on one side and........ wait for it .......PLASTIC on the other so I can commit twice as many hate crimes now

Comment

Working...
                  X