has anyone tried an emg60 in the bridge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by toejam View Post
    I read that a long time ago, but has anyone ever heard James play rhythm with his neck pickup? I'm pretty sure he only uses it mainly for clean tones, and his solo in Nothing Else Matters.
    Yes that is a very good point, although for some reason I recall reading somewhere about a guitar he used that had a 60/60 config? Hmm I have been known to be bad with numbers.
    "We were sitting on the bus one day and there were 5 of us hanging out. There was only one beer left in the cooler and we actually all took a little cup and split it. It was a pathetic day in a rock and roll when five grown men have to be sitting there sharing a beer. "
    Zakk Wylde

Comment

I don't recall him ever using a 60/60. I believe he used the 81/81 when he first got EMGs.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Yeah that sounds right.
        "We were sitting on the bus one day and there were 5 of us hanging out. There was only one beer left in the cooler and we actually all took a little cup and split it. It was a pathetic day in a rock and roll when five grown men have to be sitting there sharing a beer. "
        Zakk Wylde

Comment

i think he also used an 89 at some point.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
            I didn't know 1meg could be used for actives. I do know that 100k is used on the active Duncan Dave Mustaine Livewires.
            Maybe I got that confused with passives? But for some reason I think that there's another value of pot that's usable with actives.
            Regardless, the high end could be tamed with different value capasitors, so all is not lost.
            Can't wait to hear the review.
            'Howling in shadows
            Living in a lunar spell
            He finds his heaven
            Spewing from the mouth of hell'

Comment

25k and 50k I believe are usually for actives. Even though Jackson's pickups are passive, didn't the active electronics used with them have a 50k pot?

Comment

Originally posted by jdr94 View Post
                i think he also used an 89 at some point.
                I know Kirk does, but I don't know about James.

Comment

I believe Kirk did use an 89 in at least one guitar, but he's usually 81/81. In his '85 Custom Rhoads, he uses the H in the neck (single coil in humbucking housing) and the 81 in the bridge.

Comment

yeah the jackson active electronics used a 50k

Comment

I had a dinky reverse with an 81 and a 89. The 89 sounded good clean.
                      Jeff Smeltz

Comment

ok so i finally got the time to swap out my pickups......
                        the change was from a duncan distortion to an emg60 in the bridge position.
                        the emg is alot bassier(which i like). harmonics were about the same, maybe a little bright with the emg(still a good thing). clean i liked the emg better cause the highs werent overwhelming like with the duncan distortion.
                        so i would have to say yes you can use an emg60 and it sounds great. the 81 was way to bright and thin sounding to me. tried the 85 and though it was better, it was still a bit edgy for me. keep in mind i'm a rhythm guitarist. i play simple solos every once in a while, but mostly i'm chunkin it up and doin some melodic grinds.
                        i'll have more to say once i try it with my halfstack.............

ok well didnt get to the real test yet, but i played it for an hour and after really hearing it. it sounds great clean, but a little muddy distorted still i like it better than the sh-6. harmonics are actually easier to do on the sh-6, but brighter on the 60..........
                        Last edited by jdr94; 11-07-2008, 10:36 AM.

Comment

ok so after playin thru my halfstack at about 50 % vol. i have come to the conclusion that the emg 60 sucks in the bridge position. it sounded ok on a practice amp, but thru a real amp.....just dont do it. who's the idiot that thought this might be a good idea.....oh yeah. it was me

Comment

Originally posted by jdr94 View Post
                            ok so after playin thru my halfstack at about 50 % vol. i have come to the conclusion that the emg 60 sucks in the bridge position. it sounded ok on a practice amp, but thru a real amp.....just dont do it. who's the idiot that thought this might be a good idea.....oh yeah. it was me
                            The only way you were going to know how it was going to work was to try it. Now you know and thanks for letting us know. Live and learn.

Comment

I never said it was great, but it was fuller than the 81 and 85....
                              www.JerryRobison.com
                              '84 RR, '06 Pablo Santana Soloist,'76 Gibson LP Custom 3 pup,'79 LP custom 2 pup,'82 Gibson XR-1,'89 BC Rich Namm proto, '07 Lauher custom, 86 & 87 model 6, Carol-Ann Amplifiers, Marshall amps, Keeley pedals....it's a long list. Check out my site.

Comment

Originally posted by Partial @ Marshall View Post
                                I never said it was great, but it was fuller than the 81 and 85....
                                oh i know. my idiot comment wasnt directed towards you in any way. it does sound fuller and probably great for blues, jazz, or country, but not for super high gain metal.

Comment

Working...
                                X