Two JB's or one Jazz n JB?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
    I really prefer the '59 in the neck over the Jazz. The jazz is really bright to me - maybe in a darker sounding neck through Gibby-scale guit it would be better, but in a bolt on strat, I haven't liked it.
    I like the fact that the Jazz is brighter; it works better for me as a neck pickup. I do like the '59 a lot, too, but it can have a tendency to be a bit bass heavy and boomy in certain guitars.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by nikopapp View Post
      You may like the Dave Mustaine Livewires set, it's a JB and a Jazz but in an active capacity.
      It's what Dave uses!
      I'm not normally a JB fan and think they're overrated, but in certain guitars they do sound good. The active Mustaine Livewires are very nice, and the JB does sound tighter and it seems like it has just a tiny bit more low end and gain.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
        I like the fact that the Jazz is brighter; it works better for me as a neck pickup. I do like the '59 a lot, too, but it can have a tendency to be a bit bass heavy and boomy in certain guitars.
        +1 on the Jazz. I think they are really a good pickup. When dealing with humbuckers the biggest factor (IMO) is mud. Especially under higher gain settings. The treble response needs to be greater than the bass response. Many pickups these days tend to have the bass response slightly greater than the treble response (especially Dimarzios). Sure these pups sound great on their own but when you try to mix it with a full band they loose their edge and cut. Let the bass guitar take the low end.

The Mustaines were mentioned and if you look at the specs, you will see that these have great highs, as do the Screamin Demon's. Also, don't forget about the Pearly Gates - another pup with great definition.

Comment

I say Custom Custom in the bridge and JB in the neck. I still haven't found a JB I like in the bridge, other than a JB Jr. I do love them in the neck position, though. Great for distortion or cleans, and not as low-output as a Jazz, which can be a drastic difference between some pickups.

From my experience, to really get a good representation of the sound of a Jazz, you have to have your Clean channel up really high. That's not an option for my rack setup (ADA MP-1 - just can't crank the Clean volume without clipping), so maybe I'm missing out by not being an amp-guy. Nothing I can do about that right now.

But a JB in the neck gets a great clean tone, as does a '59. Both sound great when split also.
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I've never had much luck with a JB either. I've tried like hell to love it, and I bought specifically bought one just for my Jake E. Lee mutt, and it just turned out to sound like ass not only in that (Alder body), but also in my Maple bodied Kramer Focus 4000 V.
            My DK2 (Alder)came stock with it and it didn't sound good either.

My fav Seymour Duncan is the Screamin Demon, and the Full Shred. I'm mainly a DiMarzio, and Bill Lawrence guy when it comes to passives, but ultimately I use EMG's.

I agree with Sully in the respect that you can have 2 or 3 of the same pup and they all sound different. There's good one's and there's lemon's, that's the human element in craftsmanship, and variances in construction...
            Try to score some used ones of each and test them both.
            'Howling in shadows
            Living in a lunar spell
            He finds his heaven
            Spewing from the mouth of hell'

Comment

I've actually gotten fonder of my JB today, I think I still prefer the Jazz, but I'd forgotten how good my JB can sound. I'm really pleased that I've remembered how much I like it!
              I like maple fretboards. :P

Comment

I prefer the '59 for the neck. Get one of those and a JB and you're set.
                http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

The Jazz is the only humbucking pickup I would consider for the neck, it sounds great clean, and responds well, for the bridge I had a JB, but I switched it for a Screamin' Demon, because I wanted more top end.
                  I also like the DiMarzio Super Distortion, great for 80's rock tones.
                  The Guitars...
                  2008 BC Rich Gunslinger Retro
                  2003 Jackson DXMG [Modified with Duncan Jazz & Screamin' Demon & OFR]

'The wild boys go head to head... Like the good book says be quick or dead'...- David Lee Roth

Comment

It depends on what guitar I have been playing recently. I have a love / hate relationship with all of my guitars. I need to buy more guitars to try new pickups.

Comment

Oh this is hard. But i think im going to "play safe" and go for a Jazz and a JB.
                      Thanks for all the answer! This seems like a nice forum, 23 posts in a couple of days is not bad at all.

Question number 2, Is it possible to just replace the JT580 tremolo with a original floyd rose without any modifications?

Comment

Question number 2, Is it possible to just replace the JT580 tremolo with a original floyd rose without any modifications?
                        I switched the JT580 on my DXMG for an OFR a couple of years back, it drops in fine, however the base plate for the JT580 is slightly larger due to the angled edges at the rear of the plate, which means that the route is going to be slightly larger than the OFR base plate.

Here's a few blurred pics...

The only modification required was to lower the height of the shelf the locking nut sits on, which is something I did recently, I used the existing nut when I installed the OFR.
                        Last edited by Chester73; 11-23-2008, 03:48 PM.
                        The Guitars...
                        2008 BC Rich Gunslinger Retro
                        2003 Jackson DXMG [Modified with Duncan Jazz & Screamin' Demon & OFR]

'The wild boys go head to head... Like the good book says be quick or dead'...- David Lee Roth

Comment

JB and 59 is a great combination in an alder bodied guitar but with the KV you have more wood and that will give you a bit more bottom end which is a good thing.
                          I'm a DiMarzio fan for the most part and find the Super D(bridge) and a PAF pro(neck) to be outstanding in a guitar with a large body mass ie V's, Kellys.2 super D's sound great too.
                          My 85 Kelly has the original J-80(bridge)and J-50(neck) and it kicks ass.
                          I will insert a shameless plug for http://rsguitarworks.net here.
                          Get one of their pot upgrade kits too then you'll be sounding the best you can.
                          Last edited by straycat; 11-23-2008, 03:29 PM.
                          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

jb and jb, i love the jazz but not for playing distorted metal, just not quite enough output. great for other styles though. just my 2 cents
                            jackson pc-1 chameleon
                            charvel model 4
                            prs ce-24 emerald green
                            ltd gl 600ss skulls and sword
                            jackson rr ps 3t
                            ibanez rg 770 lazer red
                            engl thunder 50
                            ibanez rg 565
                            mesa boogie dc-5 head

Comment

I have a JB with an Alnico 2 magnet in the neck of my explorer. The cleans on it sound great but the lead tone is a little too classic rock sounding.

Comment

Working...
                              X