Swamp Ash vs Alder for bodywood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
    I think poly-U is usually softer and thinner and more tranparent than poly-E. The finishing gurus might chime in if I am mistaken.
    Yeah, you could be right. I don't know much about finishes. Just going by what I've read.
    My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Originally posted by mm2002 View Post
      Yeah, you could be right. I don't know much about finishes. Just going by what I've read.
      Sure you are buddy.... you don't know shit do ya? So did ya run out of air and have to come back up on the surface for a while? How is life with the fish?

Alder, Swamp Ash, Hard Ash, Mahogany, Basswood, Maple ect.... It's all a matter of personal choice and tone good or bad, is up to the individual piece of wood.

Comment

Originally posted by slash View Post
        Sure you are buddy.... you don't know shit do ya? So did ya run out of air and have to come back up on the surface for a while? How is life with the fish?

Alder, Swamp Ash, Hard Ash, Mahogany, Basswood, Maple ect.... It's all a matter of personal choice and tone good or bad, is up to the individual piece of wood.
        +1 All the way. Yeah Mark you need to learn about finishes more.

Swamp Ash tends to have a "punchier" sound than Alder to me, but then again pups, hardware, amp etc. all have an effect on the overall sound.
        Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Yes, tone and wood choice are very subjective, and there is not "right or wrong" answer.

But I will provide some very specific thoughts on your question:

Out of all the choices mentioned, I would put swamp ash last for hard rock/metal.
          I'd do with mahogany, korina, alder, basswood, etc. first.

I have tried swamp ash for this application, and personally I don't think it works. It's just not distinct enough and doesn't have the "oomph." If you want to use ash, northern hard ash is a better choice. It can be a tad on the bright side, but it's punchier and ballsier. I believe EVH's first parts guitar was ash, and it has worked well for me in several guitars.
          Swamp ash seems to lend itself better to bluesier and general rock playing- not metal.

Your best bet, if possible, is to try read as much as you can about the woods you are considering, and then do your best to get your hands on guitars made out of these woods, even if they have the wrong pickups. Listening acoustically helps. This will allow you to form your own opinions- and that's what matters.

Just my thoughts- good luck!
          GM,
          www.aftershok.com

Comment

I have a USA DR2 (Dinky Reverse) with satin finish over ash, and an alder Soloist Pro with typical clearcoat over poly. Both have ebony fretboards and licensed trems, and both also have Duncan Full Shred pickups in the bridge position. Although they are far from identical guitars, the ash DR2 is definitely brighter and a little "snappier" than the alder Soloist.
            sigpic

Comment

I own both and definitely prefer the Alder. Has a rounder, fuller tone. the Ash is quite bright to me. It's currently being re-finned, and I plan to change the pickups to something darker. Hopefully, it'll offset it, the way I hope.
              I'm not Ron!

Comment

Working...
              X