X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bergsheil - Difficult to Deal With

I hit the BIN on this guitar:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=110160038092

Bergsheil - a JCF member - is the seller.

I assumed that the guitar included a hard shell case. Just thought - for whatever reason - he was one of those guys who does the bare minimum in terms of description, so I asked to be sure. He responded no hard case, would ship in a gig bag.

I will admit that "assumption" was my bad. But "no case" could have disclosed in the auction description. Many would argue that it should have been disclosed in the auction. That could be a matter of opinion, though.

Notice that the guitar has a significant pre-existing neck crack. Supposedly repaired, though. I told him I'd really prefer to ship in a hard case and with insurance, and was willing to pay for extra for both. I did not want to risk the Samsonite shipping monkeys doing further damage - especially given the existing neck crack - and also did not want to risk having no recourse against the shipper (insurance).

At first, Bergsheil was OK with this. We agreed on a price for a case. I suggested that I'd pay for the case and insurance in advance. Once he sent me a picture of the guitar in case as proof, I'd pay everything in full.

That is the point at which Berg refused and became difficult to deal with. I just didn't understand. Was my request a little anal? Maybe. But, since I was paying for the case and insurance up-front as a "good faith" gesture, there was no risk or money involved on his end. All I wanted was picture proof of the hard case as part of our (larger payment) deal, since it was not part of the original auction itself. Then I would pay in full before he shipped. Again, no risk nor money involved for Bergsheil at any point here.

At that point, Berg refused, demanded payment in full, and would not offer any alternatives. I tried to keep thing civil. Repeated attempts at a compromise went nowhere, and Bergsheil's notes became increasingly difficult to deal with. I was open to other suggestions, and he offered nothing. Effectively, "pay up or else" was his only position then. Eventually, his notes had such bad attitude that I lost trust, and I just didn't want to deal with him at all.

I just left Berg a negative feedback on Fleabay, and he's "popped my cherry" in return. My first negative. Now he's calling me dirty names in notes he's sending.

I'll gladly take my first neg from someone as difficult to deal with as him. (Notice that he's gotten two other negs this month, but somehow managed to get mutual agreement to have them removed.) The guitar and neg mean little - I'll gladly deal with that, rather than do business with difficult guys like that. Buyer beware.

If I understand you correctly, you wouldn't pay for the case until after he bought the case and photographed the guitar in it? If that's true, then he would be risking the $ he spent on the case if he bought it, photographed it for you, and then you didn't follow through. At least if his music stores are like the ones in my town, which offer no refunds.

Comment

No, I offered to pay for the case and insurance in advance. Once he supplied a pic of the guitar in the case, I would then pay for everything else (guitar and shipping -per the auction itself) before he actually shipped.
      Last edited by shreddermon; 08-16-2007, 07:08 PM.

Comment

Be sure to check the Ebay feedback going back and forth. You can see the attitude I had to deal with before calling off the transaction.

Ordinarily, I'd let a bad deal like this go with no feedback at all. But the kind of BS like he's posting in feedback it what I was dealing with in communications, and ultimately why I called the deal off and left a neg.

Comment

And now Berg has relisted the guitar with a tirade against me in the auction description.

http://cgi.ebay.com/San-Dimas-Charve...QQcmdZViewItem

Let me address what he's said there about listing fees. Yes, if he refused to ship in a HSC, I offered the alternative of calling off the deal and paying for his Ebay fees so he could relist the guitar. Again, it would've been no risk / no money for him. Berg refused that offer, too. That's why he didn't get paid. He rejected it.

If he had just kept things civil and compromised (at my expense), we would've had a good deal and he would've been paid. His BS lies and attitude provide their own evidence why buyers should beware.
          Last edited by shreddermon; 08-16-2007, 08:51 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the heads up. I had noticed it this evening, but the feedback was enough to warn me to steer clear. Seems like you tried to be not only fair but reasonable too.

I always cringe at sellers who leave retalitory feedback in the form of name calling and slurs. To me it's a big fat "buyer beware" flashing neon sign.

Comment

• Reply by bergsheil (Aug-16-07 16:28):

This guy hit the BIN and didn't pay plan and simple total l0ser puzzy b1tch
              the "loser" can't spell, PLAIN.:ROTF:
              sounds like a low life, dude.
              "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

Comment

Somehow I knew this would end up here.

The best course of action is to read the listing and ask questions first
                not after you hit the BIN. I bought the guitar with no case and it shipped fine. I was going to pack it exactly how I received it from TN with the
                addition of adding a Mars gig bag (a good one). We're talking about around
                $550.00 total on this deal... spare change really. No big deal.

I asked him to pay me the total (guitar/case/insurance) up front which
                is normally the case with Ebay last time I checked, but he only wanted to
                pay for the case until I sent him a pic of the guitar in the case.

I thought this was ridiculous..we sparred back and forth... via email.
                Next thing I know I have negative feedback?

If I were in his shoes I would have paid the full amount and been done with it.

I am sooo tired of ebay and people leaving neg for no reason..

this has happen to me three times in the last week... none of it deserved..
                the two I had retracted were retracted for a reason.... it wasn't deserved..

Yawn

Comment

Originally posted by kelly user View Post
                  the "loser" can't spell, PLAIN.:ROTF:
                  sounds like a low life, dude.

FYI... they block certain words they don't allow.

If you don't know what you're talking about keep it shut.
                  You don't know anything about me or the deal. Back away

Comment

One more thing... he hit the BIN, didn't pay, and left me negative feedback!
                    I wasn't going to leave negative if the deal didn't happen and just move on.
                    He escalated things by leaving the negative feedback first. I was already
                    in the process of relisting. Now I'm just going to keep the guitar. Because
                    it rocks. And I don't want to deal with it anymore.

If I can't spell I'm sorry

Comment

Berg,

Your use of feedback was really uncalled for - seriously. Grow up a little, huh? I'd never buy from anyone using that kind of language, regardless of how good the rest of your feedback is.

I would side with you to a certain extent that you ask before you buy - hopefully a lesson learned. With that said, his request wasn't that out of line.
                      Last edited by chrisolson; 08-16-2007, 11:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bergsheil View Post
                        Back away
                        Huh?

Come on, dude - drop the 'tude already.

Sounds like a misunderstanding both ways. Don't make it worse by acting like a jagoff here.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisolson View Post
                          Berg,

Your use of feedback was really uncalled for - seriously. Grow up a little, huh? I'd never buy from anyone using that kind of language, regardless of how good the rest of your feedback is.
                          This guy hit the BIN then leaves me negative???!!!
                          Grow up? Would it piss you off if someone did that to you?

This is getting out of hand here... he said I didn't disclose
                          the guitar not having a case...but I did disclose the guitar
                          having a cracked neck and showed 2 pics of it in my auction
                          something I could have easily hid if I were a scumbag which I'm not

... ok I agree i lost it...but I was very pissed

Comment

Originally posted by chrisolson View Post
                            Huh?

Come on, dude - drop the 'tude already.

Sounds like a misunderstanding both ways. Don't make it worse by acting like a jagoff here.
                            Hey I'm having to defend myself in here and I'm not alone in my "tude"
                            and you call me a jagoff? Like you don't jackoff yeah right!

Comment

Not calling you a scumbag. If others are, it's just the "pile-on" mentality that happens sometimes.

Yes, it would piss me off, but if I'm selling on eBay, I try to be accomodating as possible.

Shreddermon - come on...never assume on eBay. If it's not in the pictures or mentioned in the ad, it doesn't exist - THAT'S RULE #1!!! You should know better.

Comment

Working...
                              X