Hate to do this... BAD DEAL with Sandman0170

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hate to do this... BAD DEAL with Sandman0170

I really never wanted it to come to this point, but apparently Im left with no other choice.

In early April, I decided to buy #1 of 10 Chlorine SL2H off the board owner Jeremy Wagner, aka Sandman0170. I sold my beautiful trans black SL1 to get this guitar, and as soon as I had the money from the sale, it went right to Jeremy.

Here is a link to the auction, however I bought it directly from him through here.

When I got the guitar, I pulled the strings right away and cleaned it up. Was pretty dirty, and alot of the gold hardware was very faded, so I replaced most of it. Once I got it strung up and setup, I found the following problems:

1: The floyd nut moves and creaks because the truss cavity is off center, and the low e side of the nut has nothing to anchor into. I found a piece of dowell wedged in there which was at one point held in by a bit of clearish glue.

2: The rear cover (which wasnt included in the sale) cant be installed when the action is low because the springs will hit it.

3: The floyd sits lower on the high e side when the action is properly set. Almost completley bottomed out in the rout on the high e side.

4: The gold on the floyd is fading on the saddles, though it specifically says in the auction that the Floyd is not worn.

5: The headstock masking job is horrible, the edges of the paint-to binding are not clean at all, can see a bit of wood at one or two small spots.

6: Alot of binding scraping marks on the fretboard mostly by the upper registers, so much so that the serial is very hard to read.

I brought all these issues up once I noticed them, and he apologized and said he never noticed any of the problems I had mentioned. He asked me a few times to try to put the piece of dowell back in with Gorilla glue, but I didnt want to take that rout. I tried fixing it the right way, but there just wasnt enough wood to hold.

I said that I really didnt want to give it up if I didnt have to on 5/3. After a few messages back and fourth, on 5/6 I said Id like a refund, and he could sent it in for the warranty work, and that if he wanted, I would buy it back once it was completed. He stated that he wouldnt be able to refund me until mid-late June, and on 5/8 I replied that if he would like to have the warranty work done while he was saving for my refund, and if it was done in a timely manner, I would keep the guitar.

Fast forward a month and a half, no progress. So I send a message asking for my refund and that would send it back on my dime. Only then did he ask me to bring it to an authorized repair place... almost 2 months later. I replied that I couldnt do it, the closest one is 40 minutes, and with gas and time, I had no interest, I had waited long enough. I didnt pay $1520 for a guitar with issues. I was then told that he couldnt refund me because supposedly had said I DIDNT want a refund and I wanted it fixed. That wasnt the case, and I promptly responded with quotes from PMs on the above listed dates.

That was on the 19th. He never responded to that PM. I then noticed that he blocked my AIM screen name, although I had only talked to him two or three times at the beginning of the deal. Obviously someones trying to avoid me. I sent one last PM Monday night asking if he planned to follow through... no response.

Sure, theres usually two sides to every story. But the fact is, I have been MORE than patient and understanding throughout this whole ordeal. I overlooked the fact that he claimed he didnt notice any of these problems with the guitar. I waited patiently, going sometimes over a week without any communication. I even offered to let him have it fixed in a reasonable amount of time. But apparently none of that mattered.

So here I sit with a $1500 guitar which is pretty much useless. I spent twice the amount on this guitar that I ever had before... I always wanted one since I first came to the JCF and saw them. And now, just looking at it makes me sick. I havent played the guitar for more than 5 minutes in the past two months. I sold an amazing SL1 in hopes of getting one of my dream guitars, and this is what Im left with. Had I known the condition of the guitar before hand (even though I asked before buying it), I wouldnt have done it. Thanks alot, man, thanks alot.
    Last edited by RobRR; 06-25-2008, 06:29 PM.
    Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Rob,
    Sorry to hear that man. It's a crap shoot buying online nowdays.

I hope you guys can get it worked out though without it getting ugly.

Good luck man.
    I'm angry because you're stupid

Comment

Originally posted by Bengal View Post
      Rob,
      Sorry to hear that man. It's a crap shoot buying online nowdays.

I hope you guys can get it worked out though without it getting ugly.

Good luck man.
      Ditto.

I hope this gets worked out.

Personally I wouldnt have had this much patience, but that's me.

-Steve
      Guitars:
      '04 Jackson SL1 - Flametop Cabo Blue Trans Burst
      '94 Charvel Predator - Fire Crackle
      '77 Ibanez LP Custom Copy - Black
      Amp:
      VOX AD30VT

Comment

I guess if all else fails you could get the warranty work done?
        Special deals for JCF members on Jackson/Charvel, Suhr, Anderson, Nash, Splawn, Bogner, LSL, Ibanez, Diezel, Friedman, Bad Cat, 3rd Power, Dr. Z, ENGL and more. FREE SHIPPING! 0% FINANCING!

Comment

I will not take sides, but he DOES disclose the condition of the hardware in the auction. When you hear that, always expect it will probably be pretty worn. As for the other stuff, there are a lot of possible explanations that could go either way. I must say though, it does not look good, but hope you all can work it out somehow.

Comment

Originally posted by RobRR View Post
            I
            1: The floyd nut moves and creaks because the truss cavity is off center, and the low e side of the nut has nothing to anchor into. I found a piece of dowell wedged in there which was at one point held in by a bit of clearish glue.

2: The rear cover (which wasnt included in the sale) cant be installed when the action is low because the springs will hit it.

3: The floyd sits lower on the high e side when the action is properly set. Almost completley bottomed out in the rout on the high e side.

4: The gold on the floyd is fading on the saddles, though it specifically says in the auction that the Floyd is not worn.

5: The headstock masking job is horrible, the edges of the paint-to binding are not clean at all, can see a bit of wood at one or two small spots.

6: Alot of binding scraping marks on the fretboard mostly by the upper registers, so much so that the serial is very hard to read.
            IMHO all these issues are non-acceptable. Then to say "I didn't notice" is a cop out..and sounds like somebody intentionally didn't mention all these issues on purpose.

If the person was a stand up person he would have refunded. I also think it sad that those who know the seller personally will stick up for him instead of seeing what he did.

What would you do if you were going through the same thing? I know I would be pissed and I would get the law involved for that kind of money.

Doesn't warranty work only cover the original owner?
            Last edited by JetFixxxer; 06-25-2008, 06:38 PM.
            2009 Les Paul Kit - GFS Dream 90 (N), SD Seth Lover (B)
            2009 Gibson Les Paul Worn Brown
            2009 Epiphone Studio Deluxe
            2008 Epiphone Custom - SD P-Rail(N), Fat Pat (B)
            2008 Ovation Celebrity CC48
            2007 Agile AL3000 - SD Alinco II set
            2005 Epiphone Standard - SD Pearly Gate (N),SD Alinco II (B)
            2004 Epiphone Custom Plus Top
            2004 Gibson SG Faded - Stock
            1997 Epiphone Slash Snakepit
            1995 Fender Strat - SD Lil 59' Bridge, SD Hotrail Middle, Stock Neck

Comment

Originally posted by JetFixxxer View Post
              I also think it sad that those who know the seller personally will stick up for him instead of seeing what he did.

What would you do if you were going through the same thing? I know I would be pissed and I would get the law involved for that kind of money.
              Who here is sticking up for him?

You're not getting confused with the other forum, are you?

Comment

Whoa nellie, Joe spoke up for Jeremy because he thought the situation had been corrected. I don't see anyone else "covering his ass."
                "POOP"

Comment

great minds and all that
                  "POOP"

Comment

Originally posted by SEEGERMANY View Post
                    great minds and all that
                    Yep.

Comment

Originally posted by Bengal View Post
                      You're not getting confused with the other forum, are you?
                      Hell, it's like a fucking lynch mob at the other site. Granted, Rob has every reason to be pissed, but you've got clowns threatening to "mouth off" at the JCF hoping to get banned and then you've got mega-clowns advising calling the state police. If there ever was a site that needed to apply for group anger management (other than Megadeth.com), this is it!

Rob, I'm not taking sides, but I think you're getting some bad advise. The deal has been made public and even though it should have never gotten this far, give the young man another chance at making things right. ~K~ indicated that Jeremy has been moving and is out of touch. That's not a great excuse, but it may have some truth to it. Let him have the opportunity to "man up."

Sorry for your grief!
                      "POOP"

Comment

"would this not be considered Federal Racketeering or am I just suffering from an itchy asshole?"
                        "POOP"

Comment

Mark,
                          Don't fuck with Judge Judy. I swear to god I'm in love with that woman.

Comment

Originally posted by JetFixxxer View Post
                            I also think it sad that those who know the seller personally will stick up for him instead of seeing what he did.

Doesn't warranty work only cover the original owner?

Who exactly is sticking up for him? I know J personally and you didn't see me stick up for him. In fact I'd like to see Robb get taken care of because it is unnaceptable imo... Please though, before speaking for us, ask us our positions on the matter. This is the problem with other boards, a lot of assumptions are made without knowing all the details
                            Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

Originally posted by SEEGERMANY View Post
                              Whoa nellie, Joe spoke up for Jeremy because he thought the situation had been corrected. I don't see anyone else "covering his ass."
                              Exactly. I was told about a month or so ago, in an IM from J, that he was refunding the money and taking the guitar back. I didn't even know he was the one that sold Rob the guitar in the first place, but he just brought it up in general conversation, said he was pissed at Jackson and he would have them fix it for him. I think he had just gotten a new job and was moving and selling stuff to pay for the move, but I haven't talked to him in awhile and don't know what's transpired since then.
                              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                              X