Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

All the highs and lows of performing in one weekend!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All the highs and lows of performing in one weekend!

What a crazy ride this weekend. The band (100% covers) has been together for almost a year, our latest personnel change was only a month ago. All the changes have been definite upgrades, but the summer has been one of few practices and a couple big festivals shows, not really feeling very confident despite relatively big gigs falling into our laps. Our first gig was as an opener in February. Personally, I hadn't played out at all - ever - before getting involved in this project, but I always wanted to, and had a pretty good idea how a good night should "feel".

So Friday night the bar (new room for us) we played was large, had an awesome stage, and like 10 patrons. We hadn't played together in 3 weeks, yet we kept our energy up and actually played very well. We were pumped for putting it all out there despite the lack of crowd energy, but after we wrap up the barmaid hands us $105 - the take at the door. That was not the arrangement our singer made with the owner, whom he promptly called at 2:30 AM. Long story short, we gave up on getting what was agreed upon to avoid a trip to jail. Scratch that place off the list...

Saturday night we were still licking our wounds a bit, but the joint we were playing (also new to us) was looking to be a winner. They were promoting us and were really excited to have us there (they tracked US down to come play!). With a guarantee there were no worries about the door, and I knew from friends bands that we wouldn't get stiffed. Place was busy when we started, the dance floor was rarely empty, and we absolutely killed. A friend of the owners was having a Bday party there, so all the important people were there and they loved us. After the first set they said they wanted us back. Damn. People were dancing, singing, drinking, it was finally what I envisioned. I booked another gig there next month, after that we get a saturday a month all winter.

What a rush. I'm exhausted and sore (wtf was i thinking dancing with 20-somethings while playing???), and cannot wait to do it again. I know they all won't be like this, but damn when it all clicks it's pretty awesome. I had to share with someone who gets it, thanks for reading.
    Greg

'86 Model 1
    '87 Model 2
    '88 Model 3A
    '88 Model 3DR
    '06 TMZ Mahogany Natural

I wish I could get $105 for drawing 10 people. I'm lucky if I get paid at all for drawing 20, lol.
    Dreaded Silence - Boston Melancholic Metal

Comment

That's great that the second gig went so well. Makes up for the first one, eh?

What covers does your band do?
      THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Comment

Originally posted by Sinistas View Post
        I wish I could get $105 for drawing 10 people. I'm lucky if I get paid at all for drawing 20, lol.

hahahaha, no shit!!!! my band has played MUCH larger shows and walked out with WAY less than $105!!! anyway, glad you enjoyed the second gig and had fun. THAT'S what it's all about....
        GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

You're lucky they paid you $105 of only 10 people showed up, no matter what they told you upfront. You might have found the same thing at the second place if it hadn't been for the birthday party bringing people in.

Just saying, you will find that to be pretty common, that you get stiffed if the place is really dead. It's not pretty, but it's part of the experience sometimes. Glad the scond gig went well though, it gives you the bright side to look forward to!
          Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

I guess there was actually 21 people there (most of whom we brought) at $5 a head. Lesson learned and we won't play another first time place without a contract. The singer booked that gig, and told me the next day he wants me to handle them all from now on lol. We have a pretty healthy music scene around here, and this was definitely not normal.

We cover typical bar fare (for our area) like Blink 182, Green Day, and Fuel, mix in some standards like Road House, Best Friends Girl, and Come together, and some not so typical Godsmack, Papa Roach, Creed and STP. Our song list is a little self-indulgent but so far it's going over pretty well. Big "Oh Wow" moment from Saturday night was watching people RUN to (to, not from) the dance floor when we started playing Dead and Bloated. Never would have guessed that one for a dancer.
            Greg

'86 Model 1
            '87 Model 2
            '88 Model 3A
            '88 Model 3DR
            '06 TMZ Mahogany Natural

Comment

All covers band??? whats the set list?
              '87 Kramer Stagemaster Custom
              '81 Kramer Pacer Standard
              custom made Les Paul
              VOX Tonelab LE
              Epiphone Valve Jr. moded!!!
              ADA MP1
              BBE 422A
              Lexicon MPX-G2
              ADA Microtube 100

AFFA
              Support Your Local 81

Comment

I agree with the $105. Most places around here have the first 50 people through the door pay for the PA. You get everything after that. Some bars will pay you reguardless of the how many you bring as you are just playing to their crowd. They may not be getting many more people in having a band there, but the ones that are there stay longer and drink more.

Comment

Are you guys doing originals or covers? Around here it's common for original acts to go home with little or no pay. It really sucks - I'v seen some GREAT bands down here in BIG rooms with literally 10 people watching. Most of the B rooms are looking for cover acts, and pay a set price regardless. Some don't even charge a cover. We try to stay away from the 'door' bars during summer, since attendance is so unpredictable. Never had a bar change the pay scheme mid-show though. Like I said, lesson learned.

At any rate I'm still buzzing from Saturday nights show. Can I do it again please?
                  Greg

'86 Model 1
                  '87 Model 2
                  '88 Model 3A
                  '88 Model 3DR
                  '06 TMZ Mahogany Natural

Comment

Common practice when I was gigging was a written contract for $350.00 vs the door. If the door exceeded 350, we got the whole pot. If it did not exceed 350, we got paid the 350 anyway. Being that it was written, it was totally enforcable in court. Gotta cover your ass - ALWAYS get a WRITTEN, SIGNED contract.
                    You sir, can go you fuck yourself and don't let the door hit you in the vagina on the way out.
                    You're such a pretencious, phony, boring, transparent, self righteous worthless fuck..You are amusing as a genital wart!
                    --horns666 - 12/08/08

Hey, if those are fake tits..is fake titty fuggin' cheatin'? I say no!
                    --horns666 - 12/29/08
                    I think your dad jacked off in a flower pot and you were born a blooming idiot.
                    --LouSiffer - 06/25/09

Comment

Originally posted by 992gnt View Post
                      What a crazy ride this weekend. The band (100% covers) has been together for almost a year, our latest personnel change was only a month ago. All the changes have been definite upgrades, but the summer has been one of few practices and a couple big festivals shows, not really feeling very confident despite relatively big gigs falling into our laps. Our first gig was as an opener in February. Personally, I hadn't played out at all - ever - before getting involved in this project, but I always wanted to, and had a pretty good idea how a good night should "feel".

So Friday night the bar (new room for us) we played was large, had an awesome stage, and like 10 patrons. We hadn't played together in 3 weeks, yet we kept our energy up and actually played very well. We were pumped for putting it all out there despite the lack of crowd energy, but after we wrap up the barmaid hands us $105 - the take at the door. That was not the arrangement our singer made with the owner, whom he promptly called at 2:30 AM. Long story short, we gave up on getting what was agreed upon to avoid a trip to jail. Scratch that place off the list...

Saturday night we were still licking our wounds a bit, but the joint we were playing (also new to us) was looking to be a winner. They were promoting us and were really excited to have us there (they tracked US down to come play!). With a guarantee there were no worries about the door, and I knew from friends bands that we wouldn't get stiffed. Place was busy when we started, the dance floor was rarely empty, and we absolutely killed. A friend of the owners was having a Bday party there, so all the important people were there and they loved us. After the first set they said they wanted us back. Damn. People were dancing, singing, drinking, it was finally what I envisioned. I booked another gig there next month, after that we get a saturday a month all winter.

What a rush. I'm exhausted and sore (wtf was i thinking dancing with 20-somethings while playing???), and cannot wait to do it again. I know they all won't be like this, but damn when it all clicks it's pretty awesome. I had to share with someone who gets it, thanks for reading.
                      Nice story but I need to ask the most important question....
                      Did you get laid? After all.. playing in a band has nothing to do with music or the chump change you get paid in return for all the time and effort you put into it. Its all about getting some leg tonight for sure. Tell me how you do??

Comment

Originally posted by joelayres View Post
                        Common practice when I was gigging was a written contract for $350.00 vs the door. If the door exceeded 350, we got the whole pot. If it did not exceed 350, we got paid the 350 anyway. Being that it was written, it was totally enforcable in court. Gotta cover your ass - ALWAYS get a WRITTEN, SIGNED contract.

Are you a comedian? Thats almost laughable. A written signed contract to play in a bar or club? Thats funny.

Comment

The only places we ever had signed contracts for were when we played military base clubs.
                          Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
                            Are you a comedian? Thats almost laughable. A written signed contract to play in a bar or club? Thats funny.
                            yeah, we never needed a contract, the minimum we would ask was 300 (for a five piece band, 50 for each and 50 for gas) in small clubs... either the money comes or we beat the shit out of the owners... a bunch of young unknown hacks ask 500 to 10000 these days.. I don't know how they manage to get paid all the time without having a big motherfucker of a drummer who punches your teeth in even if you look the wrong way.
                            "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

One bar we've played several times now supplies a contract, one festival gig asked if we had a contract, and the other insisted we sign their contract. If/when we play a new place I will talk to them about a contract, since it protects both parties from shenanigans. At least that way the bar in question would have had a more difficult time changing our pay scale due to having a slow night.

jgcable - Although I thoroughly enjoyed grooving with the women on the dance floor all night, I believe my wife would have drawn the line at suggesting an after-party with them!
                              Greg

'86 Model 1
                              '87 Model 2
                              '88 Model 3A
                              '88 Model 3DR
                              '06 TMZ Mahogany Natural

Comment

Working...
                              X