looking for a good recording setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• looking for a good recording setup

so i have about 180 dollars now, i was originally planning to save it for a Charvel guitar or a Kramer. but ive realized now i have enough guitars and just dont need another one (i have a gibson Flying V, a Fender Standard strat, and a Jackson DK2) what i do need is some better recording equipment, in the past i used a Line 6 toneport with a SM57 knockoff into my Vox AD15VT, it didnt sound very good but at least i was actually using an amp. Alas my Toneport broke and i started doing recordings straight into my computer using an amp software like Amplitube 2 or Guitar RIg(demo) i hate that sound! it sounds so fake and over processed and just doesnt sound raw or legit no matter how you dial it. Now i have a Krank Rev Jr. but unfortunately all i have for recording is my shitty computer mic which obviously sounds like shit. I kinda want to start over with recording stuff now, i want to avoid computers if i can. I dont like the way it sounds, i find it uninspiring, and i hate how you can lose everything you have in a split second. I just want something that captures the raw power and awesomeness of my amp instead of making it sound like fucking good charlotte or whatever. i dont know all that much about recording but i have to start somewhere.

First off, it's not ever going to sound like your amp unless you pipe it back through your amp.

Second, Amplitube doesn't sound fake/processed unless you don't know what you're doing, and/or are using crapass PC speakers (which goes back to not knowing what you're doing).

But since you're set on standalone recording gear, I'd recommend an old Yamaha MT4X cassette unit. It's 4 tracks of analog ass-kicking. I used one for years and liked the tones way better than my Akai DPS12 digital machine, but I needed more than 4 tracks to do real music, and the Yamaha couldn't keep up.

If you go with a digital/hard drive based unit, you may as well step up to decent computer software and get used to the PC speaker tone, unless you wanna spend a coupla hundred on real studio-style monitors.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
      First off, it's not ever going to sound like your amp unless you pipe it back through your amp.

Second, Amplitube doesn't sound fake/processed unless you don't know what you're doing, and/or are using crapass PC speakers (which goes back to not knowing what you're doing).

But since you're set on standalone recording gear, I'd recommend an old Yamaha MT4X cassette unit. It's 4 tracks of analog ass-kicking. I used one for years and liked the tones way better than my Akai DPS12 digital machine, but I needed more than 4 tracks to do real music, and the Yamaha couldn't keep up.

If you go with a digital/hard drive based unit, you may as well step up to decent computer software and get used to the PC speaker tone, unless you wanna spend a coupla hundred on real studio-style monitors.
      Amplitube tries to make it sound like guys with a professional studio ready to record for the radio, i just dont like that sound. id rather get a sound like this

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

I've used a Roland VS1680 for years (16 track) and I swear by these. It's a standalone DAW, mixer, recorder, editor all in one. It'll take upto 4 stereo FX insert or loop.
        Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Originally posted by wilkinsi View Post
          I've used a Roland VS1680 for years (16 track) and I swear by these. It's a standalone DAW, mixer, recorder, editor all in one. It'll take upto 4 stereo FX insert or loop.
          damn dude, 450 dollars is not bad for one of those, i was expecting it to be around the 1200 dollar range, ill definitely check those out.

Comment

Because they're discontinued. But they're real workhorses.
            Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Protools and and Digidesign Digi001, all you need!
              Don't blame Congress or the President - blame yourselves. ~Newc

Comment

go direct to PC. There are a lot of good apps out there just for that.

I use Sonar to record and mix, M-Audio FireWire 1814 interface, ART DPS II pre-amp and an SM-57 on a cab.
                shawnlutz.com

Comment

so i just got a 3 dollar tape recorder at a tag sale and the recording i did on it sounded better than anything ive ever recorded! my amp sounded thick, full and awesome just the way it does in person. Why is that? does analog really sound that much different than digital? and if so why dont they sell it anymore?

if this is really the case ill probably end up getting an analog 4 track.

Comment

dude the difference is not analog vs digital its recording you amp for real vers a computer generated amp simulation. Having said that, if you hae an Axefx you would not be able to tell
                    shawnlutz.com

Comment

Working...
                    X