My PC monitor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My PC monitor

My Dell monitor keeps flashing to a black screen for a few seconds, then ultimately stays black, the green "on" light turns to yellow when this happens. I have to shut down my PC then re-start. Is my monitor dying?
    MakeAJazzNoiseHere: You kidding me? I'd suck her fartbox dry in a heartbeat. 9/29/2011 quote about Megan Fox

Is it an older CRT monitor? It sounds like it might be.

Comment

Does power cycling the monitor fix it? If not it sounds more like it might be an issue with the PC. Software or hardware, it's hard to tell.

Comment

Think she's dying bro...mine did that. Just kept getting worse til finally it would never come on for more that a second or two. Got a new monitor, everything was fine.

Comment

Yeah, ether that or the video card. Is it running some crazy weird resolution?

Comment

Plug that monitor into another computer.....if it continues, it's the monitor

If you plug a different monitor into the old computer and it does it, it may be the video card/resolution or the pc itself trying to kick the bucket.

Comment

Originally posted by Sharkfin View Post
              Is it an older CRT monitor? It sounds like it might be.
              Yes, it is a 4+ year old CRT monitor.

Originally posted by Bert View Post
              Does power cycling the monitor fix it? If not it sounds more like it might be an issue with the PC. Software or hardware, it's hard to tell.
              I'm not sure what power cycling means??

Originally posted by Carbuff View Post
              Yeah, ether that or the video card. Is it running some crazy weird resolution?
              No, no weird resolution, everything operates as it should when the monitor is working.
              MakeAJazzNoiseHere: You kidding me? I'd suck her fartbox dry in a heartbeat. 9/29/2011 quote about Megan Fox

Comment

power cycling = turning the monitor off and on

CRT = near death

Comment

Originally posted by sixx_ gunner View Post
                  power cycling = turning the monitor off and on

CRT = near death
                  When I get the yellow light and the monitor has gone black, I tried to turn the monitor on and off. Nothing happens when I do that, same yellow light and same black screen.

Comment

Personally, I'd shut the PC down, disconnect and reconnect the VGA cable, then reboot the PC. Failing that, I can get hold of plenty of spare monitors.
                    Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Well, my mother-in-law fired up the computer this morning and this is the message she got:

device driver got stuck in infinite loop. This usually indicates problem with the device itself or the driver programming incorrectly.
                      ***STOP: OX000000EA (OX895CCECO, OXF78BECBC, OX00000001)

something about an error with file nv4_disp. The system did a dump of physical memory.

One of the tech's in my wife's office says it looks like something didn't get installed correctly. He is going to give us some instructions to use and said that it will take the computer back to the last good configuration.

Comment

Yeah sounds like a video driver problem. You can try booting into safe mode and then installing drivers from nvidia's site.
                        GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Thanks to all for you help.

Comment

That was exactly what was happening with my wife's. We ended up entering the 21st century and bought an LCD monitor. Still can't find it in myself to replace our old TVs though.....
                            "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

Comment

Well, it was the video card. Got one Friday evening, popped it in and Shazam! Thanks for the help!

Comment

Working...
                              X