No announcement yet.

Any Metal Drummers here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

By the way... she should learn how to hit with full arm, wrist and with fingers... separately and all or two of them combined. The most important of course is the wrist and finger part. It's important to have those techniques down because at different speeds, volume levels on specific patterns etc. you have to be able to vary those techniques. You may need to play the same pattern on two different tempos with different techniques... wether it's more wrist or finger oriented... how much rebound there is etc.

It's important to know all the rudiments cold, here's a bunch http://www.vicfirth.com/education/rudiments.html

Vic Firth has many videos for beginners
    Shop the official Vic Firth online store, featuring drumsticks, percussion mallets and branded apparel.

She should be able to play with clear and loud sound without moving the arms at all, only wrists or fingers or wrists and fingers. Later she can add arm motion, to get more velocity or add "showmanship".
    And remember the body has to be relaxed. The shoulders must not be stiff. That's very important.

Getting the basic techniques down is very important specially for a female because I've noticed many girls have a weird and stiff technique, it doesn't look natural, and it gets in the way.

Remember it's important to sound clear and accurate at any tempo and at any volume level. It's the hardest to make the drums sound good when playing very quietly but it helps to control your tone. No matter if it's fast, slow, loud, ghost notes, flams or whatever, every note should sound defined.

The reasons why all those hacks sound like shit is because nothing sounds clear when they play... no accuracy and dynamics... everything sounds like a sloppy mess. To avoid it it's crucial to get the basic techniques down.

Look how old Clyde gets a such a punchy sound on the snare playing a beat he made in the late 60's and notice that there's no need to move much at all.
    It's the first 20 seconds.
    CORY RIGHT: MARI KODA September 2008 in Canada.Marley Marl is interviewing Clyde Stubblefield about Funky Drummer!!!This is the sound we all should enjoy and...

Or watch how Dennis is so relaxed when playing very fast and heavy
    Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Here's a good view how JoJo mostly uses his wrists and fingers while the arms wont do much and he has such an amazing crisp and clarity both playing soft and loud notes.

And I would really recommend getting JoJo's DVD because he explain every concept of hand technique really well. And he's absolutely nuts.
    Check out how he's doing the Buddy Rich one handed roll.

And he shows how to combine all those techniques and use them anywhere
    Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Here's some examples from that DVD
    how to use crazy finger techniques

How to do the rim-roll
    "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

I forgot, this is a site for beginners, full of lessons with videos

Learn how to play drums with free drum lessons online. This site features video drum lessons, articles, and printable sheet music!
      "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

I watched all the clips, great stuff

Dennis Chambers has a very interesting way of flailing his arms Almost looks like he is doing windmills with his forearm.

Jojo Mayer: holy crap... and the pepperoni bit is hilarious

Does seem like a very good DVD.

- Leo.

Comment

I definitely agree that her current teacher is full of shit.

It would've been one thing if he'd said that she doesn't have a sense of rhythm, or no talent for it, as some people do lack this. But "physically unable" is not a reason to not go on learning the drums. Find another teacher. This one isn't worthy of her money.

If she has musical aptitude and keeps at it, she can learn it, and get good at it. I have a lady aquaintance who started learning to play drums at the age of 35. You'd think it is late in life, but it's been a qouple of years now, and she has gotten really good at it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunbane View Post
            It would've been one thing if he'd said that she doesn't have a sense of rhythm, or no talent for it, as some people do lack this. But "physically unable" is not a reason to not go on learning the drums. Find another teacher. This one isn't worthy of her money.
            exactly... some people just lack the meter, they can't play in time to save their lives... some lack any musicality... but no other thing can stop you from being able to play an instrument

Comment

Originally posted by Sunbane View Post
              I definitely agree that her current teacher is full of shit.

Especially after only playing for a week!

Seriously - 75% is dedication. The rest is that something else that raises you up from being able to play and being able to create music.

Find a new teacher.
              -------------------------
              Blank yo!

Comment

Thanks, people. Those suggestions and comments are really useful.

Thanks for those links and websites too.

I'll definitely think about changing my drum teacher.

Comment

Working...
                X