Networking gurus - need info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Networking gurus - need info

Without getting into an argument of which is better and why I want to do this, is it possible to turn a Cat5e cable into a Cat5?
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

If you are attaching cable ends you can get ones only rated at 100.

Comment

yes, but why do you want to do this and you also know which is better right!!!
      Enjoying a rum and coke, just didn't have any coke...

Comment

There is no reason that I can think of to do this. Cat5e is backward compatible and Cat5 can be used where cat5e is recommended but your throughput will be less. Makes no sense why you would you want to do that. I guess you could but it would be a waste of money and/or time.
        http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Comment

You came across a bunch of cable and end pieces and not sure which does what?
          Did you also come across a crimper and a tester (preferably a fluke) of any kind as well? These will prove very useful and you will actually need them both.
          It least a crimper. Does this concern require a punch down tool and a patch panel?
          Just asking don't get excited. It all will make sense later.

So you have some stuff and without going in too much information you plan to do what that requires you to ask this question regarding cable and end pieces?
          Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

Cat 5e and Cat 5 have identical connectors, number of pairs, and usually use the same color codes. The difference is they are spec'ed for higher bitrates (and presumable a higher quality). +1 to the backwards compatible comment.

Comment

Cat 5e and Cat 5 have identical connectors, number of pairs, and usually use the same color codes.
              Wouldn't the connectors be different in the ratings? If he wants to say add at rj-45 ends to the cat 5e and he only used cat5 rated rj45 ends wouldn't that do what he wants?

Comment

Originally posted by Rich#6 View Post
                Wouldn't the connectors be different in the ratings? If he wants to say add at rj-45 ends to the cat 5e and he only used cat5 rated rj45 ends wouldn't that do what he wants?
                I meant identical as far as the form factor. Yeah, the cat 5e rated connectors are different in that they are spec'ed for the higher speeds.

Comment

Here's the simple answer... Plug it in. It will work. There is really no "turn into" involved. Just plug it in. It will work.

Comment

Cat 5 is rated for 10/100 and Cat 5e is rated for 10/100/1000.
                    There is no such thing as a Cat 5e specific connector. Cat 5 and Cat 5e connectors are the same.
                    The difference is in the cable design, mainly in the shielding quality and tighter twisted pairs to keep crosstalk down.

Just make sure you don't have any of that crappy Chinese Cat 5e cable either.
                    It's easy to spot. Looks like copper wire, but when you strip it back, you can see that it's actually aluminum wire with a copper coating.

But to specifically answer your question, if you have a Cat 5e cable, you do not need to modify if for Cat 5 use. It will just work.
                    -Rick

Comment

I thought cat5e was only rated at about 350 and cat 6 was 1000? At least that's what is was when I had the network installed.
                      see:

Comment

I am only seeing connectors for cat5/5e and cat 6. It's been a while.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich#6 View Post
                          I thought cat5e was only rated at about 350 and cat 6 was 1000? At least that's what is was when I had the network installed.
                          see:

http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/def...px?EDC=1180224
                          Those are frequency range ratings, not transfer speeds.
                          Cat 5e and cat 6 are both rated for Gigbit Ethernet.
                          -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
                            Here's the simple answer... Plug it in. It will work. There is really no "turn into" involved. Just plug it in. It will work.
                            Yep true.

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
                              Cat 5 is rated for 10/100 and Cat 5e is rated for 10/100/1000.
                              There is no such thing as a Cat 5e specific connector. Cat 5 and Cat 5e connectors are the same.
                              The difference is in the cable design, mainly in the shielding quality and tighter twisted pairs to keep crosstalk down.

But to specifically answer your question, if you have a Cat 5e cable, you do not need to modify if for Cat 5 use. It will just work.
                              All of this is true.

Comment

Working...
                              X