Networking gurus - need info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newc?
    Are networking some machines together with a switch, patch panel or just making yourself a patch cable for your Xbox?

If your considering networking some together know this in advance.
    There are many ways to suggest, explain and describe this endeavor.
    It can get technical real fast and one can get easily lost in all the jargon.
    It's not intended, it's just who we are as network/server people.
    If we over simplify it, our suggestion/s and insight start sounding like an over kill "how to."
    Your response would be, "okay I got it already."
    That's how we communicate at work when doing this stuff in Schools, Hospitals, banks and etc.

Believe it or not, youtube has this sort of stuff.
    Just throw something like "create a pc network" into the search engine and it will come back with countless videos explaining such. That may be less confusing and provide a helpful visual.
    Youtube is vast its not just about music videos and getting the latest news or TV show you missed last week. There's a lot of stuff on youtube that has to do with computers and computer technology.

Ex. Smartboard's have been installed and one of the Staff asked how do we learn about this technology? Two answers I gave. Attend one of their 3 day seminars or go to youtube and type "smartboard" into the search engine and go from there. I reminded her, the seminar will give cool software, t-shirts and stuff and you'll get very helpful ciriculum information. Or you can go to youtube in the comfort of your own home at your own pace learn just enough to get you started.
    She didn't believe youtube had this stuff on it.
    Comes back a few days later, "thanks for the heads about youtube it was really helpful."
    If its work, personal interest, hobby related its most likely on youtube.

If your wanting a patch cable for an Xbox.
    Just make a run to Radio Shack, Lowes or Home Depot and buy one for alittle of nothing.
    It much easier, no thinking no physical labor just plug it in and go.
    But if you wanted to learn how to do a patch cable, including punching wire to a patch panel and etc. It's all on youtube waiting to be discovered as well.
    Last edited by Soap; 09-25-2009, 04:32 PM.
    Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

Thanks fellas, got it sorted another way.

I've got 2 50ft Cat5e cables for my 360s and merely wanted to know if I could simply untwist 2 pairs at each end to convert it to a Cat5 to work with a certain router (since the big diffy between 5 and 5e appears to be number of twisted pairs).

I already read through all the "backwards compatible" arguments on a few Google results, but this thread caught my attention and spurred the question here:

This guy had the same router I did, and had trouble over Cat5e unless he used a media hub or Cat5 cable to bump it down to 100Mbps. I didn't even open mine - looked it up as soon as I got home with it (no sense in looking up the best router and then having to track it down online or in a store - get one and bring it back if you have to )

While Cat5e supports 100Mbps, if the destination is Gigabit, even if the source is not, it seems there will be a problem for whatever reason with this particular router - makes no sense to me - to my thinking the source (360) can only send up to its highest speed and you'd only have trouble if you were sending to a slower destination or through a slower pipe, not the other way around.

Since this guy appears to have first-hand experience, I took his word for it and bought a router that was actually on the WHQL AND WalMart actually had one! Miracle!
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
      X