Freebies for cops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Spivonious View Post
    I'm wondering where this rumor of cops not getting paid enough started. Sure the risk is high, but so are other jobs, like deep sea fishing, soldier, steel worker, etc. And they know the risk when they take the job.

Average salary is $48k http://www.indeed.com/salary/Police-Officer.html

That's plenty IMO.
    the same site shows that the average salary for a waitress is 53k
    "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Originally posted by Endrik View Post
      the same site shows that the average salary for a waitress is 53k
      Ooh, okay scratch that site. It appears to be taking Google results and parsing for salary information.

Here's a better one http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos160.htm#earnings

Median earnings is $47k in 2006. Middle 50% earned between $35k and $60k.

Just to compare, waitress says median of $7.14/hr including tips, which sounds about right.
      Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Spivonious View Post
        I'm wondering where this rumor of cops not getting paid enough started.
        Average salary is $48k
        That's plenty IMO.
        Spivvy my boy, if all I made were 48k I'd quit this job and move to NC like I always wanted to. Our rookies start at that straight outta the academy. They don't pay us for what we do, they pay us for what we might have to do. Also some sacrifice comes with the job. I have not had weekends off in 7 1/2 years. I forget what that was like. Christmas and New Years with family? Sure, after your shift.......if the next shift comes to work. Otherwise, guess who is stuck?
        Don't get me started.

[EDIT] to add: NO, I don't take anything for free because of my job. It is against the ethics code.
        Last edited by StukaJU87; 10-20-2009, 12:50 PM.
        Scott
        Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

If I'd be a cop I'd live in Greenwich Village and party with beatniks just like officer Serpico... he wasn't happy with free shitty food either
          "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

We live in a tit for tat world helping police employees is good for protection when they're around. I wouldn't do to many back flips for them on the safety at work end of things, they did go into that line of work freely and alot of them are in it for that thrill alone, the corruption comes later. LOL
            I want to go out nice and peaceful in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming and hollering like the passengers in his car.

Comment

Originally posted by tomanyjacksons View Post
              alot of them are in it for that thrill alone, the corruption comes later. LOL
              Good one
              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Working...
              X