trading off a set of emg's for Seymour duncans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trading off a set of emg's for Seymour duncans

I put an add on my local craigslist trying to get rid of an 81 85 emg combo for something like a jb and jazz set up I don't like the emg's at all and I haven't played anything through my rig with the jb and jazz setup but like them through other amps. Am I being stupid? I like passives alot better and I have an alternative 8 in the bridge of my PS2, sounds ok but a bit to much volume knob goes down a bit and I took the DD invaders out of my RR3 and put them in my fender, major improvement for the fender. Put the emg's in the RR3 and I don't like the EMG's in that worse than I didn't like them in the Fender. Opinions needed.
    I want to go out nice and peaceful in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming and hollering like the passengers in his car.

You are not being stupid.

I think that's the only question you asked in there...
    GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Thanks Hellbat.
      I want to go out nice and peaceful in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming and hollering like the passengers in his car.

Comment

That was you on Craigslist? I saw that this morning...
        H3LL IS HOME!!!

Comment

Nothing wrong with that at all. I like EMG's but they can sound thin if not through the right amp. Get what YOU think sounds good.

Comment

I never like EMG's or any active pickups either. Its just a matter of preference, not better smart or stupid, you like what you like becaus you like it, who cares what anyones else thinks just as long as you like it
            shawnlutz.com

Comment

Your problem is probably because you've got the 81 in the bridge and the 85 in the neck. Swap them around and see if you don't like them better!
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I'd try Toejam's idea first. Not that I think it'll matter much, but it's worth a go!
                I too prefer passives. If it's what you like, it's what you like. Just go for it.
                http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

Sorry, I missed the last line where you asked for opinions too...

Yeah, I would try the 85 in the bridge for sure. A lot of people I know outside the board even say thats the way to go.

If you know you like the JB sound try a Duncan Custom (SH-5) or one of the other 'customs' like the custom-custom or the custom 5. They are all similar in output to the JB but have different voicing through the mid range and high end. To me they are less ice-pick. I have also had good experiences with the Full Shred and Blackouts although the Blackouts are taking you back into EMG territory. They are less compressed and a little more passive sounding then the EMG's though. If you have a good relationship with a dealer and your guitar is wired for the EMG quick connects, maybe try out the blackouts. They come with the same pin-compatible quick connects on them as the EMG's.

From the Dimarzio camp I've heard good feedback on the tonezone, air norton, paf pro, and breed. I have no personal experience with them however.

If you want versatile, check out the P-Rails from Duncan. I need to get another guitar just so I can try those things out. My current setup is set with the pickups I have, I am not changing a thing unless something busts.
                  GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by mr426 View Post
                    That was you on Craigslist? I saw that this morning...

Yeah I've been a pickup swapping fool here lately trying to get all of my guitars sounding good. Wanting a little different tone out of each one. Those EMG's haven't sounded good in anything since I bought them, 2 whole guitars ago. Back when I had a solid state amp and they sounded ok at best. Through a Peavey Valveking 212 now and they aren't quite the fit for my ears. Plus my RR3 deserves alot better tone.

Comment

Thanks guys all the opinions I can get the better. I appreciate your time.

Comment

I've just got an 81/85 set. Not sure I've got the heart to take out the SH-6 as I've been tweaking my GT-10 yet again, and it GROWLS. One more excuse to buy another USA Jackson.
                        Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Thanks to all.

Comment

jb in the bridge and a distortion in the neck
                            jackson pc-1 chameleon
                            charvel model 4
                            prs ce-24 emerald green
                            ltd gl 600ss skulls and sword
                            jackson rr ps 3t
                            ibanez rg 770 lazer red
                            engl thunder 50
                            ibanez rg 565
                            mesa boogie dc-5 head

Comment

That's a new one. Alot of people tell me a jb in the neck is the way to go, or are you talking a distortion neck pup? I figured with where I'm at they would have been gone in nothing flat ( alot of metal bands up here) but only one bite and it was gone for some reason as fast as the guy hit me up. Figures, with my luck and it was a good setup too, damnit oh well I can live with the EMGs if I can remember to unplug the damn things.

Comment

Working...
                              X