Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Job Q: driving to work, how long?

Calling for some JCFers wisdom...

I've been contacted for quite an interesting position that offers good potential for a career growth, a way better salary (near 20% more) and much more challenges.

The main issue is the driving time to get there: around 1h15 minutes. So that means over 2h30 of driving everyday... Like 120 miles you put on the car.

Part of that job would include frequent out of town traveling so I would not have to go to the office everyday, and I noticed (from my conversation with them) that I may get the possibility of working from home occasionaly, another way of not having to drive there.

But that travel time is really bugging me. The 1h15 is when everything goes well: no heavy rain, no snow storm, no traffic jams or no road work... As a reference, my actual job requires me only 30 minutes one way.

Relocation is not an option for now. I would do it only if their career plan they are offering would really be true. Usualy, you can only know if this is true after months or years of working in a new business.

Anyway, I've babbled a lot. I know the first few months would require to be there a lot as you have the learn all the business and build your credibility with your coworkers.

So any of you here went through such decision, experience or have to travel a lot to go to work?

Let's talk.
    JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
    Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

I'm no help. I walk down 18 stairs and I'm at work.. Saves gas.

Comment

i drive 7 minutes to work, but 90 minutes to band practice.
      GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by atdguitars View Post
        I'm no help. I walk down 18 stairs and I'm at work.. Saves gas.
        Me either. 14 stairs and 100 feet or so. The drawback is ya can't call in and say ya can't make it do to the weather when it snows LOL

Comment

It depends if you can get used to it or not. For many it's a no big deal after a while but for others it can be mentally exhausting. I definitely belong to the last group. I grew up in a city and in downtown so I'm used to walk everywhere and I really hate driving and the whole car culture unless it's racing.
          "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

if its a good opportunity and you have a career path with advancement then it might not be that bad. I wouldn't think in terms of dollars, yeah you'll get a 20% increase in salary but is it worth it being stuck in a car for at least 2 and 1/2 hours everyday? Think in terms of carrer growth, especially if you have little room to move up where you're currently employed.

I drive between 30-45 minutes to work, I dunno If I could handle any more than that myself, too many ass hats on the road and sitting in stop and go traffic isnt good for my blood pressure
            shawnlutz.com

Comment

I've had jobs where I work within 5 minutes from work and jobs where I've had a 1.5 hour commute each way.

I'm currently in the 5 minute range and could never go back to the long commute. It really is draining on you after a period of time. Increases the stress level of the job incredibly and really cuts down on your time available to do stuff that is not work. If it something where you can commute via bus or train then it's not as bad, but you still have to deal with the general public ignorance.

I mean if it's really lucrative I would look at it if I could improve my situation after a period of time by moving closer to the office, but trust me, after about 2 years you will not be the same person. You will be burnt out and pissed off.
              GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Take the job and move closer. I did something similar and hated it. You will have no time to play guitar or do things you are used to doing. You'll feel like shit after driving that much all the time and will easily pack on the pounds if you are not careful.
                http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Comment

For the past three years I've worked out of my home town. 1.5 years in Cleveland and 1.5 years in Nashville. Always had a corporate paid apartment within 10 minutes from the office, but twice a week drive 5-6 hours (in a paid for rental).

This is finally coming to an end. We leave the apartments at the end of the year and start alternating 1 week at home / 1 week at hotel.

I would not like a 2.5 hour a day commute. That's what broke the camel's back when I lived in LA. That was a 45 mile drive that took 1.5 hours one way.

If you do decide to do it, invest in a good radio / sound system.

Comment

I drive like 30 minutes one way everyday depending on traffic.
                    25.5 miles or something like that. Been doing it so long don't know any other way.

Jason

Comment

In the NY metropolitan area, that's nothing. A lot of folks do 2 hr + each way - train, ferry, car. Sometimes a mix of the two. Sometimes you drive on the highway 70 miles in an hour, then sit in traffic for an hour for the last 1/2 mile.

Personally, I prefer not to drive to work. The last thing I want to do at the end of the day is drive.
                      -------------------------
                      Blank yo!

Comment

Random thoughts:

I'd look into moving closer. 20% higher salary is definitely attractive. Do you like your current job? Do you enjoy driving/being in the car?
                        Scott

Comment

Do any express busses or trains go there? If they go relatively fast then it might be an alternative and you can read, listen to music etc. and not bother with stressful stuff like driving and traffic.
                          "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

I have had a two hour total daily commute for the past 10 years. At first it isnt bad, but after awhile you really start to add up the time lost in your car. Also think about the cost of vehicle maintenance and gas. You will be changing oil and tires more frequently.

Comment

So many answers already! I just left for a meeting, come back and whoa! You guys rock!

Originally posted by Endrik View Post
                              It depends if you can get used to it or not. For many it's a no big deal after a while but for others it can be mentally exhausting. I definitely belong to the last group.
                              I hear you. A few years back, I had to drive like 1h30 in traffic when I was going back home. I hated it. But an hour and half of easy driving would not bother me... Go figure!

Originally posted by Shawn Lutz View Post
                              I wouldn't think in terms of dollars, yeah you'll get a 20% increase in salary but is it worth it being stuck in a car for at least 2 and 1/2 hours everyday? Think in terms of carrer growth, especially if you have little room to move up where you're currently employed.
                              The salary increase will be spent mostly in fuel and a new car...

But as for actual job, there is no room to move up.

Decisions... Decisions...

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
                              I mean if it's really lucrative I would look at it if I could improve my situation after a period of time by moving closer to the office, but trust me, after about 2 years you will not be the same person. You will be burnt out and pissed off.
                              Originally posted by Jack Napalm View Post
                              Take the job and move closer. I did something similar and hated it. You will have no time to play guitar or do things you are used to doing. You'll feel like shit after driving that much all the time and will easily pack on the pounds if you are not careful.
                              In short term, moving closer is not an option but what about having "No time" keeps coming back in my head. 2 of my kids are in good high schools and both have educationnal program they like. One is in music the other just started some kind of international program. I don't want them to get out this now. And my wife moved a lot when she was younger and she hated it.

Originally posted by Endrik View Post
                              Do any express busses or trains go there?
                              Sadly... NO!

Originally posted by Jason1212 View Post
                              I have had a two hour total daily commute for the past 10 years. At first it isnt bad, but after awhile you really start to add up the time lost in your car. Also think about the cost of vehicle maintenance and gas. You will be changing oil and tires more frequently.
                              I hear ya, see above answer.

What makes me having second toughts is the fact that I'll be out of town 50% of time, so, it will be like 1/2 of my working year that I will have to drive for a long period of time.

Sometimes, I wish I had a crystal ball!
                              JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
                              Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

Working...
                              X