No announcement yet.

Job Q: driving to work, how long?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It takes me 40 mins to get to work - 30 mins on the bus and a 10 min walk. I've previously had to take 2 buses and hated it. I had to spend 90 mins travelling one way. At that time, it was cheaper to be on benefits than work.
    Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Originally posted by BenoA View Post
      So true!!!

So case is closed! I just finished a long long talk with the wife.

We've done the pros and cons... I'm no careerist. I know it.

I know I won't get that cool USA Jackson anytime soon as my actual salary won't permit it. But I know something, I get back home not too late and my life with my family is what makes me happy!

So, I'm keeping the job I have right now. May be far from perfect but that's OK wath I care for.

Thanks for this very constructive exchange guys! That was fun.

Rock on everyone!
      I think you made the right decision. Keeping your family close is priceless, and the mental stress of driving that many hours a day would kill me. You'd wake up early as hell and get home late and you wouldn't be able to enjoy yourself.

Good call.
      Originally posted by horns666
      The only thing I choke during sex is, my chicken..especially when I wanna glaze my wife's buns.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacksons Shred View Post
        I think you made the right decision. Keeping your family close is priceless, and the mental stress of driving that many hours a day would kill me. You'd wake up early as hell and get home late and you wouldn't be able to enjoy yourself.

Good call.
        Thanks!
        JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
        Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

Hey Larz! You are a bit late but thanks for your comment.

I do have kids, 3 boys, 10, 12 and 14. They don't have too many things outside their regular school but anyway, that would kill me not being able to be with them enough.

I decided to keep what I'm doing for now (see my above post). With some luck, I'll have another opportunity that will show up closer.

you have 3 boys, live in Montreal and they don't play hockey? Whats up with that? Montreal is one of the best hockey towns in the world, I love to go see Detroit play Montteal there....
          shawnlutz.com

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn Lutz View Post
            you have 3 boys, live in Montreal and they don't play hockey? Whats up with that? Montreal is one of the best hockey towns in the world, I love to go see Detroit play Montteal there....
            Strange... but true! When they were young I tried to interest them in the sport but they never got into it...

At least, the oldest one is studying guitar in high school (he finaly picked up the electric recently - I think there is a girl behind this!) and the second one started showing some interest too...

So, I'm a happy dad! Now, if the last one could show some interest in drumming! ha ha ha
            JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
            Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

he finaly picked up the electric recently - I think there is a girl behind this!
              you bet!
              "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Strange... but true! When they were young I tried to interest them in the sport but they never got into it...

At least, the oldest one is studying guitar in high school (he finaly picked up the electric recently - I think there is a girl behind this!) and the second one started showing some interest too...

So, I'm a happy dad! Now, if the last one could show some interest in drumming! ha ha ha
                Thats cool...I wish my two kids would play guitar....they have them too, just seem more interested in skateborarding and Xbox than playing guitar. They are 14 and 15 right now. I hoping one day they'l come to me and say show me somethin
                shawnlutz.com

Comment

Hey Benoa, glad that worked out for you!

Er, is it too late to (brag) that my house is .7 of a mile from my office?

Walking 15 mins
                  Driving 3 mins
                  "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Er, is it too late to (brag) that my house is .7 of a mile from my office?

Walking 15 mins
                    Driving 3 mins
                    Thanks awesome Ron, especially out there. I wish I could say that about any job I have ever had. The only thing I can brag about that's 3 mins driving is the 3 golf courses and I hate golf.:ROTF:

Comment

I have a 15 minute drive into town each morning so that I can get on the Greyhound for my 2 hour trek to Brisbane. And when I arrive, I have a 15 minute walk to the office. I leave the house at 5.30 and get home around 7.30-8.00. Been doing it about 4 years now. Riding the bus lets me throw on my ipod, have a read, catch some ZZZs. If I had to drive myself and deal with the idiots in traffic every day, I would've lasted a couple of months.

All the travel and time away from my family sucks. Unfortunately, I love where I live, my best friend and band are there too, and I enjoy my job & can't find the same kind of work out in the sticks where we live. I can work from home occasionally, but only on an ad hoc basis which usually works out to a day or two per month. Apart from all the time I lose each day in transit, the other major downside is the amount it costs me in transport. The cost of living is better in Toowoomba, but I'm more than making up the difference with my bus fare. :/
                      Hail yesterday

Comment

I commute about 2 hrs each way.

I hate every min of it and if I did not have family around I would have packed up and moved much closer to the job 2 years ago.

As it is, once my niece turns 5 and enters school, I'm leaving.

late entry, but, i wanted to vent..
                        Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day, set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

Notice that not one person who has a long commute says they like it and want to keep doing it? Just a thought...Look at all the time you will be giving your car that you can't give back to your kids? My last job was on 2nd shift 40 miles from my house, I just started a new job last week that is only 15 minutes from my house now and is on 1st...I can now see my kids every day and help with the house or school work...Forget the job dude, the time missed with your kids will be a big regret...
                          H3LL IS HOME!!!

Comment

Working...
                          X