Travel Suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Travel Suggestions

I've got Expedia coupons and some extra vacation time that must be used my the end of March or I lose it. So I'm thinking of taking a 3-5 night vacation somewhere with my wife in late February/early March.

We like to go to places where we won't need a car, and that have something unique to offer. I like people watching, she likes sight-seeing/shopping. We've been to Philly, NYC, Chicago. Weather isn't too important, but obviously we'd like to be able to walk outside without getting frostbitten.

Any suggestions? I'd like to keep it in the U.S./Canada since it's not a long vacation.
    Scott

South Central Los Angeles
    "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

ok seriously, one place I personally would like to go is Eureka Springs in Arkansas, it isn't mentioned much but it's supposedly one of the most unique towns in US and they have their own vibe going on, strong art community + many cool events, Victorian architecture and the nature surrounding it is really beautiful, the pics I've seen of it are really cool and a couple of my friends had only good things to say about it

some pics

Photos from around the Greater Eureka Springs, Arkansas area. Please share your images of our beautiful town.

here's their home page http://www.eurekasprings.org/
      Last edited by Endrik; 11-18-2009, 04:44 PM.
      "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

I loved New Orleans when I went there several years ago, but I don't know what kind of shape it would be in post-Katrina. If you like to be warm that kind of throws places like Banff, Whistler or Montreal out the window. With the winter olympics being in Vancouver this year Whistler will be a gong-show anyways.

I would keep it southern US if you want to stay warm. I think Austin or Nashville could be a cool place to visit if you want to see a music scene. Take a pilgramage to the Jackson headquarters maybe?
        GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

go sking, vail, tahoe, utah etc
          shawnlutz.com

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn Lutz View Post
            go sking, vail, tahoe, utah etc
            I'd love to but the wife has never skiied before, so we should probably start with the Poconos

Eureka Springs seems a bit cheesy.

I thought about the Olympics/Vancouver, but it will be a mad house and the ticket prices are way too high. Montreal was also on my list but I was worried it might be too cold. We're not averse to cold weather, I just don't want to have to lug along hat, scarf, and gloves everywhere we go.

Honestly, New Orleans hasn't had much of an appeal to either of us. We don't drink much and there doesn't seem to be much else to do there. Nashville might be fun. We could take a tour of the Gibson factory.

Keep the ideas coming!
            Scott

Comment

Austin, TX

Comment

Disneyland or Vegas. Both are perfect for short vacations because the longer you stay, the more money you will spend/lose.

With the wife, I'd go to Disney. Without the wife - Vegas.
                -------------------------
                Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by Spivonious View Post
                  Eureka Springs seems a bit cheesy.
                  I don't know if it's cheesy but it's suppose to be pretty obscure, which is definitely a must for me as I like weird places

Damn, I can't find my pics of a weekend trip (well more like 4-5 days) to central and north Cali I did with my friends a couple of years ago. But then again you need to drive around. But it's really amazing, Big Sur, the wine countries etc. too bad I didn't made it to Sierra Nevada to see Sequoia's... and there's San Francisco where you can shop your ass off. Cool fucking city in my opinion. Expensive though.
                  Last edited by Endrik; 11-18-2009, 06:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Spivonious View Post
                    Nashville might be fun. We could take a tour of the Gibson factory.
                    Doah!

I'm here working 5 days a week. Not fun for me. I've been here for a year and a half now. I've brought the family down twice for the Forth of July last year and this year. I don't know if you need kid activities or not.

You might have more fun than me while on vacation. Can you stay at the Opryland Gaylord (haha, I said gay) hotel? That's nice and the Opry Mills mall is close by. A Gibson showcase store is in the mall.

I think there is more things to do in a tourist trap town like Gatlinburg or Pigeon Forge.

Comment

How's the nightlife in Nashville? Considering they have crazy amounts of talent there (world's best sessions musicians and world's best studios) there must be some great live music events happening all the time or what?

Comment

Originally posted by Endrik View Post
                        How's the nightlife in Nashville? Considering they have crazy amounts of talent there (world's best sessions musicians and world's best studios) there must be some great live music events happening all the time or what?
                        I've not been there but I guess it's good. They have this Somay(sp?) Center where bands like KISS played a few weeks ago. I am totally anti-country, and being married for 16 years with three kids, my partying days are far behind me.

I pretty much work the days, rest in the apt. at night playing with the PODs and youtube, and watch TV. I used to try and go to GC every Wednesday, but that's gotten infrequent.

Comment

How about Boston, Mass.

Comment

Spiv,

I'm gonna host a jcf party(just a thought). The Atl area has a lot to offer, you can't go wrong with anywhere<if the 2 of you love each other, you could enjoy the ride across the river Styx>. However I thought I'd throw another shameless plug out for my party of JCF bro's ..... It's gonna be legendary, for many reasons(why don't you make your presence one, your wife may enjoy shoppping @ fipps, etc...)

Helmet not required
                            Enjoying a rum and coke, just didn't have any coke...

Comment

Eureka Springs is awesome. That time of the year is the off season though, and most things are closed. Definitely a summer time destination.

Comment

Working...
                              X