No announcement yet.

Stewart from Beavis and Butthead....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some things that have been said are true.

Some things that have been said are false.

None of this changes the fact that Winger sucked.

Comment

Originally posted by atomic charvel guy View Post
      usually the most beauty is in simplicity, and it's not easy to write by any means.
      only 12 notes to work with ya know.
      A-fucking-men!

Rock is all about making a direct gut-level impact. It can be done very efficiently or with a million notes. Either way can be excellent or suck donkey balls. Some have a preference for one or the other, and some of us like both.

Quick story -- One day I was at a busy take-out place waiting for a couple of sandwiches and Jailbreak came on. I noticed that every fucking person in the place started bobbing their head, moving side-to-side a bit, or tapping a toe. Kids, people in their fifties, white, black, latino, male, female. There may not be a simpler song to play, but there isn't a single wasted note. That's what rock is, and if somebody thinks it's "inferior" then all I can say is I feel sorry for them.

Comment

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
        None of this changes the fact that Winger sucked.
        This.
        -------------------------
        Blank yo!

Comment

just out of interesting, how many people in the "Winger Sucks" camp have heard more than a couple of cheesy MTV ballads or the first album or the opinions of Beavis & Butthead? Does "In The Day We'll Never See" sound like anything that a band like Warrant or Poison or Enuff Z'nuff could put together? Have you listened to their third album, Pull?
          Last edited by VitaminG; 11-23-2009, 08:17 PM.
          Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
            just out of interesting, how many people in the "Winger Sucks" camp have heard more than a couple of cheesy MTV ballads or the first album or the opinions of Beavis & Butthead? Does "In The Day We'll Never See" sound like anything that a band like Warrant or Poison or Enuff Z'nuff could put together? Have you listened to their third album, Pull?
            Me, for one. I'm not basing my opinion of them on Beavis and Butthead. I've heard more than I'm Only Seventeen, although my initial impression of them WAS based on that song, nothing I've heard from them since then has really changed that initial impression much. :dunno:

It's not lack of talent by any stretch; Reb is a great guitarist... I just don't like that kind of over-produced pop metal stuff.

Comment

Tommy is right. Madalaine kicked ass. go listen to it. listen to the solo. tell me reb beach sucks then. cookie cutter rock my ass. they acutally had memorable songs and radio play. hate them if you want to, thats cool. but they were not a bad rock band. they had songs you remember and they had melody.

his guitar tone sucked on that song though.
              "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
                Then I came back a bit later and some wierd broad named Lady Ga-Ga was smashing fake glass bottles on a piano.
                Could you see her cock and balls through "her" outfit?
                So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

Like them or not, Winger had more going on compositionally than most of their peers. I don't know too many bands in from that era who had anywhere close to the talent that Winger had. Some of their best material was never released as singles.

They are way too easy to discount based on their pretty boy posing, but if you can get past that, the substance was there. I can't think of another 80's band that could hang with them from a pure talent standpoint.

As for the comments about pop music being garbage...they are rooted in pure ignorance. I detest most of what I hear today but there was a time when pop was not only king of the charts, but king of most of the talent as well.

Comment

pop music used to be top notch in my book. the 50's, 60's, 70's and 80's, and a little of the 90's produced plenty of great tunes on the radio.
                    I've never been locked in to just hard rock, i like it all, and there's plenty that I don't like as well. it's all whatever floats your boat. who's to say what's good and what sucks when it comes to music? if you don't like something it does not necessarily mean that it sucks, it's just not for your ears that's all. and that's fine.
                    Best post in the thread!
                    Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

thank you Lerx, this thread has me intrigued, i found a good Winger tune I never heard before just now-

Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

I don't think anyone has said that Reb can't play.

And I think once you show up on MTV, sweaty, with a 5 o'clock shadow seductively fingering the low E of your bass, you lose all credibility. So yes, I've formed my opinion on Winger based entirely on Kip's cheesy ballads. Beavis & Butthead only reinforced my opinion.
                        -------------------------
                        Blank yo!

Comment

thank you Lerx, this thread has me intrigued, i found a good Winger tune I never heard before just now-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jPsU...eature=related
                          Wow, that IS a good song! Thanks for posting it Tommy!

I saw Winger live at Santa Monica Civic when their first album was out, with Kings X opening. Great concert and 80% of the audience was hot chicks. Not a sausagefest like most metal shows.

I even bought the T-shirt, though I admit it's still like new 20 years later - my concession to peer pressure.
                          Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

I explained who Stewart was to my wife. She didn't know who he was. I told her he was this really dorky kid who wears gay band shirts. She gave me the eye as if to say I was describing myself, (I wore shirts from obscure bands like Opeth, Katatonia, and other bands that most people are not familiar with or just don't like). Then I reitterated that he wore shirts from bands that nobody liked (Winger). She told me I wasn't helping my cause.

Sorry to derail, but this thread made me think of that.
                            "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by lerxstcat View Post
                              Wow, that IS a good song! Thanks for posting it Tommy!

I saw Winger live at Santa Monica Civic when their first album was out, with Kings X opening. Great concert and 80% of the audience was hot chicks. Not a sausagefest like most metal shows.

I even bought the T-shirt, though I admit it's still like new 20 years later - my concession to peer pressure.
                              Now Kings X, there is a motherfukker of a band. Damn they write good songs.
                              Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
                                I don't think anyone has said that Reb can't play.

And I think once you show up on MTV, sweaty, with a 5 o'clock shadow seductively fingering the low E of your bass, you lose all credibility. So yes, I've formed my opinion on Winger based entirely on Kip's cheesy ballads. Beavis & Butthead only reinforced my opinion.
                                Just because I hadn't heard it in so long, I watched the video for Seventeen.

My reaction would described as such:

:ROTF:

Comment

Working...
                                X