Car people...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car people...

...my sister in law is having problems with her car, and has little to no money... so she is asking me for a little help. She explained that her car is "skipping". WTF is "skipping"? Is that bucking? Misfiring? I have never heard that term before....

She is a real knucklehead about cars... then asking me about hers... another knucklehead move (does this make her a knucklehead to the second power?)... as my knowledge about cars is a bit limited... but I always try to help anyway...
    "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

Skipping is most likely misfiring, but you'd have to be there to know for sure.

Type of car, condition/milage, year, etc might be helpful.

Comment

What kind of car? Is the "check engine" light on (if it has one)? Some auto parts stores will check the computer codes for free for you, or will let you check it yourself in their lot. It could be something very simple & cheap to fix, like fouled plug(s), bad ignition wire(s), or a bad sensor.

Comment

The car is a 1999 Mercury Sable. The check engine light is indeed on. 129,000 miles. I just drove it and it didn't act up for me. She had two mechanics tell her that the head gasket was blown, and from what she described, I have to agree. (Although I can hardly dispute what 2 mechanics say anyway). Don't know what she though I could do about it. In-laws are weird.....
        "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

Comment

The 3.0L is not known for head gasket issues , but it is still possible. One easy way to check is to take the radiator cap off WHEN THE ENGINE IS COLD . If it is blown you will see bubbling in the radiator. Also if the bottle for the oveflowr is empty that could be a bad sign.

I would also get the trouble code from the check engine light as there might be multiple problems.
          Mike
          --------------------------------------------------------------------
          SLS TG // SLATQH TSB // 2 CS Soloists both 24.75 scale // 5 Archtop PROs //

Comment

Ya, it failed both those tests. Not sure what the codes threw. She said she had them checked, and tryied to explain what they said (other issues as well), but trying to explain them to me was pointless. It was not unlike a Greek Stevie Wonder leading a French Ray Charles.

Comment

If it has a 3.8 engine it's a very good chance the not only is a head gasket out of it but a head or 2 is bad. But if the problem has acted like it cured itself it couldn't be a leaking head or head gasket. When I diagnose a car check the cheapest fixxes first, I would start with fuel did she manage to get some crappy gas. Then fuel filter, you should be able to blow through it with no strain(after you dump it out and wipe off the in end and blow with your mouth). Check the airfilter it's the most over looked item on a car, also look at the fresh air sensor make sure there isn't a bunch of crap in it, thats the only way to check with out a scantool (code reader). Then I would pull out the sparkplugs and when you inspect them look at what color they are they should be brownish, if any of them do have little green spots on the and there could only be one or two like that then sure enough she has a head or head gasket out. Then check sparkplug gap there should be an emission sticker under the hood somewhere that has the gap listed on it, check it and if its alot of difference replace the plugs ( if you regap them you're only wasting your time as the problem will return shortly). If you need to replace the plugs don't buy the cheapest plugs you can find, get Autolite plugs, they work excellent in ford cars. Then on to checking the plug, ohm check them I can't remember what they are suposed to check at as I did it differently. Inspect them for spots of carbon on the outside they'll look like little black spots and ussually come from laying on a spot on the engine. But this probably won't be necessary, if the wires are old you'll probably ruin them taking them off the plugs. Another way to check head gasket is to get the car upto operating temp and put your hand over the end of the exhaust just enough to put the smell of the exhaust on your hand then smell it, if it smells sweet and maybe a little caramelish smelling good chance it's toast. In 23 years of being a mechanic I've never found anything that dumps in the cooling system that will seal a leaking head or headgasket the doesn't end up plugging up the heatcore( where you heater gets its heat). The check engine light being on doesn't suprise me with a car of this age, was probably on before but seeing has it's a 99 its OBD II which is just short for on board diagnostics 2 which when that light is on steady it gennerally not meeting emissions if the light is flashing on the other hand it's time to take it to the shop and assume the position. A mechanics could tell you it needs a head gasket just to get some work in, I've worked guys like that before that figured they would just do a tune up on it while they had the heads off anyways. One thing to keep in mind though if it has a 3.8 which I don't think they did anymore by 99but if so, oh no be prepared it might hurt a little. If it has the 3.0 24 valve dohc engine which ussually has 2 little emblems on the front fender same as above hold on to your lugnuts. If it has the base 3.0 engine on the other hand and hasn't been beat to death with hard driving and poor or no maintenence (which is always the first to go when money is tight) take it to a mech that you trust there are so many tests that they can do on that old car that they can tell you exactly what's wrong and show you the proof. You're doing this for an in-law. Good luck as those never go good.
              I want to go out nice and peaceful in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming and hollering like the passengers in his car.

Comment

99.9% its the head gasket or head cracked those cars were very bad about that. Sorry man. I wish I could help more sucks to be broke and have car probs.

Comment

I would say its the muffler bearings and the foo-foo valve.

Just take it to a mechanic and let them check it out. You can explain the problem to 10 different people and get 10 different responses. Many symptoms can be the result of a multitude of things... i.e. an engine miss..... is it because a bad plug, a coil, a wire, stuck valve, broken rings, hole in piston, wiped lobe on cam, bad fuel injector, cam position sensor, etc. -Lou
                  " I do not pay women for sex. I pay for them to leave after the sex ". -Wise words of Charlie Sheen

Comment

Ya. You are correct. I still think it is what the 2 mechanics already told her. I should have told her the muffler bearings though. She would have been all confused.

Comment

Skipping? You mean she can't use the fucking clutch properly? This is a common fault in cars driven by women, strangely enough. Miraculously when a geezer gets in, the car runs smoothly.
                      Can be solved by giving her a nice sensible pair of shoes for driving in, leaving her the CFM heels for out of the car.
                      So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

Originally posted by tomanyjacksons View Post
                        I've never found anything that dumps in the cooling system that will seal a leaking head or headgasket the doesn't end up plugging up the heatcore

Try a nice fresh goose egg.
                        So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

Originally posted by Rsmacker View Post
                          Skipping? You mean she can't use the fucking clutch properly? This is a common fault in cars driven by women, strangely enough. Miraculously when a geezer gets in, the car runs smoothly.
                          Can be solved by giving her a nice sensible pair of shoes for driving in, leaving her the CFM heels for out of the car.
                          Amazing. That would explain why I didn't have any problems driving it. Your genius has once again shown through.

Comment

Working...
                          X