Snowing up here in NYC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by javert View Post
    I guess you have continental climate in Tallinn. It's alright here wrt. light from October to September, I'd say, but in the winter months we don't see the sun much. Except for the past few days where the sky's been clear, but that also means it gets really cold. I feel invigorated every time I go to California in November.
    Yeah, it's more continental climate even though it's a sea nation, we don't get gulf steam like Atlantic countries.
    But what's funny is that Helsinki is 80km across the sea and it has far less cloudy days than we do. We have friggin 12 months of autumn. Very very lame. And even though we all are so close to each other, the Nordic countries generally have a lot better weather than the Baltic nations. This is just so unfair

I agree, California has great weather, specially near the ocean so you'd have all the breeze during the hot summer days. And it's dry. Not a fan of humidity.
    Sun is great for energy but too much of constant heat can have the opposite effect. That's why I love the ocean.

It's funny seeing so many people go to South Europe during the summer and find it unbearably hot in the mediterranean area. Most of the locals are indoors anyway during the midday.
    But It's fun to do a comparison. For example if you are on the French and Spanish border on the mediterranean coast (Languedoc-Roussillon/Cataluña) and drive to the same border in Basque country. It's pretty much the same latitude, the same Pyrenees area. But you feel like you are reborn when the Atlantic breeze kicks in. It doesn't matter how hot it is, it just feels so awesome.
    I personally don't have too much problems with heat. For a northman I have a pretty dark skin and can bear pretty high temperatures but sometimes you can't take it. One year I was in Turkey, not far away from Rhodos island. The lowest temperature was during the night, it was 40C/104F degrees. During the day it was much much hotter. I walked around like I was on acid

That being said, I still end up blabbering in the weather threads. Dammit!
    It's a very strong custom to complain about weather where I'm from. And it's one of the few customs that I can't get rid off
    "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Haha, I know what you mean. I can't stand it if it's too hot. My brain simply stops working. I was in Florida in May once--that was way too humid and hot for me. It hit me like a wall when I left the airport. When I go to California, it's usually for a conference in Monterey, which is by the sea (it's the town where a lot of Steinbeck's novels take place). It also seems to be constantly engulfed in a cloud, so it never gets too hot there and I've been told that that's exactly why it's such a popular summer retreat.

Comment

People in CA are spoiled. I was in LA in December (2007), it was like 70F and they had those outdoor propane heaters going. Ridiculous.
        -------------------------
        Blank yo!

Comment

Monterey is awesome... that whole area is incredible... Big Sur, Los Padres, Carmel etc.
          "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
            People in CA are spoiled. I was in LA in December (2007), it was like 70F and they had those outdoor propane heaters going. Ridiculous.
            For me it's very amusing how they act when it's raining

Comment

We got a total of 22 inches in my town here...Amazingly, we actually got the day off because of all the snow and transportation issues. I haven't had a day off because of snow in...wow
              Yesterday is history; tomorrow is a mystery; but today is a gift; that's why it is called the present.

Comment

We started out raining and 14C here in Vancouver this morning thanks to a tropical flow. It's suppossed to clear up and drop to 5C this evening.

The best and worst part about Vancouver weather is it never goes extreme in either direction.It's almost never colder than -5C and almost never warmer than 30C.
                GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Working...
                X