Wall hangers for guitars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wall hangers for guitars

Ok, so what would you recommend? I've got 20 guitars and live in a manufactured home (so there's a construction/stability issue to consider) and only one room to put them in.

I've looked around and found a lot of stuff from inexpensive to seemingly overpriced ("buying the name" sorta thing).

I could go the "completely build one from the ground up" route, but I'd rather not.

I've looked at the angled hanging systems like they use at NAMM, as well as the head-holders. Even saw one that is a wood bar with 3 hangers on it, but the pic looked like it was laying on the ground, or that the guitars were propped up from below - visible gaps between the heads and the hooks.

Obviously the less expensive the better. If I can get 5 for $20 vs 1 for $20 and get the same results....

These are for imports, recent Charvel USAs, and Custom Shops. Would mind a mix - get the "good" ones for the Customs, and use the "cheapies" for the others.

But I don't really want to spend the same money twice.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Mount a nice long 1x4 to the wall and mount the hangers to that - way more secure. as for cheap hangers, look for a music store that's going out of business.
    750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
    Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

I've been looking at these, but $9 shipping.... :think:
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

I've got a couple of these:

and the K&M standarts for the rhoadses:

and both work excellent so far. but my walls are solid, and I took long wall plugs to mount'em.
        I have no clue what a manufactured home is made of where you live (would be hay and clay over here... ), but a nice plank behind the guitar holders will spread the forces to a larger part of the wall.
        sounds like a good idea to me if wall plugs are not an option to you and you don't trust your walls 100%.

9$ for shipping seems a bit high, but these hangers look a lot like my K&M ones. they work with any kind of headstock and should do the trick.

I dunno wether you got small children, but maybe some kind of locking system could be interessting for you.
        when my nephew was for a visit, I was a little worried coz of the guitars. the idea of one of them falling down wasn't very pleasing, neither for the guitar nor for the nephew.
        but he's got the trick now and stays away from them.
        tremstick give-away (performer series trem)

Comment

Even with the shipping, the price isn't bad. You probably want 20 matching tho...
          Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Comment

Comment

I think I would just go with a bunch of 5-guitar stands and line then up against the walls. I'm not big on the hanging guitar look.
              -------------------------
              Blank yo!

Comment

I've dealt with this guy before on a wholesale level.
                Good shipper and this is about the best retail price you're going to find.
                I'm sure if you tell him you want 20 he will cut you an even better deal.

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
                  I think I would just go with a bunch of 5-guitar stands and line then up against the walls. I'm not big on the hanging guitar look.
                  I've actually got one of those, but they can't do the WarAngel or Halford, and I have more wall space than floor space in the Matt-Cave

The walls are covered in paneling, and I dunno how sturdy the studs are. I suppose I could do like Nor suggested and do the 1x4, but I'd also want pieces going down to distribute the weight so it's not pulling against the screw at an angle.

Hmmmmm, time to break out the measuring stick and start scribbling
                  Last edited by Newc; 12-20-2009, 04:36 PM.

Comment

Can those stands do shapes like the Kelly?

Comment

I have 2/3rds of my guitars on 2 boards that have slits that I bought at a garage sale and bought the hooks used on ebay. You can get a lot more guitars up in less space, and I personally would only trust those other kind with the screws strait into a stud. I have the same set up basement woodpaneling with 2x4s.

Comment

The Warwick Rockstand might handle a Kelly if you set it out from the wall far enough.

I've got the one that holds 7, and actually was able to get 9 Strat-types on there - you can put 2 on the outside, but those will have no neck stop on one side, so it's definitely only for a no-traffic area like I have.

The lower rails will keep a Kelly/Warrior/Explorer's points off the ground, but the pointy head will need plenty of room for the tip.

Comment

Yeah I forgot about pointies on those stands... I had the same problem - but now I am pointie-less.
                          -------------------------
                          Blank yo!

Comment

[QUOTE=nor;1306600]Mount a nice long 1x4 to the wall and mount the hangers to that - way more secure. as for cheap hangers, look for a music store that's going out of business.
                            [/QUOTE

This is the key from a stability / safety standpoint if you don't plan to secure the hangers to studs. I have 'normal' ones on one wall but they are screwed into the studs behind the drywall.

From www.stringswing.com, I went with five of these:

I also have one of these types, and it is sweet for that special axe.

they weren't cheap, but they are rock solid and it was free shipping.

Comment

I got the kind that guitar stores use that go into pegboard or those sloted type of boards. here is what I do. its completely redneck and ugly, but I dont care cuz its safe. its in my basement and I dont need to be perfect as the walls are all stone and concrete bricks. so here it is. I take 2x4 about 12" of it, and use a .22 cal nail gun anc blast 2 nails into the 2x4 into the brick. that shit aint goin nowhere. then I bolt a 1 ft square piece of pegboard to it. I paint it all white to match the wall. then just hang the hook on it. now that would work just fine.....but I am a worry wort. so I use that metal banded pipe hanger to support the guitar hooks from the floor joists. overkill I know. but sleep better at night. the fookers aint going anywhere that way. its not the pretiest thing in the world, but painted all white, its not that bad really. people dont even notice it, they look at the guitars instead.
                              "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

Working...
                              X