Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I normally hate these movies, but I didnt mind this one. Yes it was stoopid, but only someone stoopid would expect anything different. I thought it captured some of the fun missing from disaster movies that was present in the disaster films of the 70s. And as for the Mayans, they believed time was propelled by the sun, fueled by human sacrifice. Time running on blood and endtimes are only concepts believed by religous zealots and/or psychopaths............

Comment

Originally posted by m2pmd70 View Post
      Do they sit around a table and brainstorm a bunch of special effects and then come up with some weak-ass story to (attempt to) connect it all together?
      Well kinda. Studios have their stock movie forms, full of safe and tried formulas. Not literally on paper but in the heads of those who run the studios. Based on that they use obedient directors and screenwriters to create movies. Of course they use a quick paced shots, a lot of effects, GCI etc. so that the cliché ridden plot wouldn't be too obvious.
      A lot of those businessmen who control the studios lack any creativity, they don't really realize that a motion picture is an art form. They just want to earn a lot of money quickly. Nothing wrong with that but they are just fucking idiots. They don't notice that the majority of cliché ridden movies are failures which no one remembers in the future. Great flicks which everyone talk about are mostly based on a strong artistic vision. There wouldn't be "Apocalypse Now", "Blade Runner" or "Taxi Driver" if those morons would always get their way. There wouldn't be Al Pacino in "The Godfather" if those morons would always get their way.
      And some people still wonder why Stanley Kubrick left the states not realizing that he didn't want hollywood idiots to be around him telling what to do.
      "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Originally posted by tonemonster View Post
        not to be a dick or anything, but the mayans are extinct.
        Sorry, the Mayan race is still alive and well in Peru or Ecuador or somewhere like that. Not many of them left though. Maybe some of our more astute or global brothers could give us more info.
        All I know is I saw them on TV .......so it must be real

Comment

Originally posted by Outlander View Post
          Sorry, the Mayan race is still alive and well in Peru or Ecuador or somewhere like that. Not many of them left though. Maybe some of our more astute or global brothers could give us more info.
          All I know is I saw them on TV .......so it must be real
          Mayans aren't a "race." They were a civilization. Mayans were human beings (homo sapiens sapiens) that happened to belong to that particular culture. And that civilization is gone for a long time now.
          -------------------------
          Blank yo!

Comment

There was a episode on the History chanell recently regarding 2012 and the Mayan calendar which was actually quite interesing.At the end they interviewed people that they refered to as Mayans. Can't a race also be the source of a civilization?

Comment

Not a race, not even an ethnic group. Mayas consisted of many different types of native people of Americas.
              Last edited by Endrik; 12-26-2009, 06:52 AM.
              "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

It is the Mayan civilization that's missing. I dunno who these people are that anthros keep referring to as the Mayas living in the rainforest, but the people that built the pyramids and such down there simply up and disappeared. They didn't say "fuck this, let's go do something else", they had built a major empire, you don't just walk out on that shit. There was no sign of a major war, and no evidence of a plague. Either they shriveled down to a handful of elites (the True Mayans) who were slaughtered by the enslaved masses and THEY wandered off, or everyone blinked out.

It could have been a Jonestown thing, or even High Priests killing everyone in the wake of some cosmic event and the jungle animals came in and cleaned up. No one knows. Given the religious zealotry angle, and their bloodlust (the losing basketball team gets killed? WTF?), it's not too hard to imagine a Heaven's Gate event.
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Maybe the aliens got em!
                  "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

I'm thinking they called down the thunder on their own asses
                    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

There are still millions of Mayans living in southern Mexico (especially the Yucatan peninsula) and Northern Central America. There are still tons of them who still speak the same language the ancient Mayans used, still use the same last names, etc.

The Mayan "collapse" refers to the end of the main classic period of their civilization, when they had to leave certain famous big cities. There are a lot of theories as to why:

But the civilization went on for centuries more, and not just "in the jungle". They still had cities, but not as great as the earlier ones. This went on until Spain conquered Mexico and everything got assimilated. Full overview:

The people:

Comment

The Aztec and Toltec civilizations, not so lucky...
                        GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Just so I understand this, will there or won't there be a NAMM 2013? :ROTF:
                          Rudy
                          www.metalinc.net

Comment

Originally posted by roodyrocker View Post
                            Just so I understand this, will there or won't there be a NAMM 2013? :ROTF:
                            AND...
                            Better hurry up and get a Rollin Stones farewell tour, Kiss farewell tour, Ozzy's farewell tour, VH farewell tour...
                            Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

Working...
                            X