Guitar weight...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guitar weight...

It seems like I bond better with guitars that are lighter in weight. This could be because I play standing up a lot or it could be some other reasons...I dunno. I prefer guitars that are less than 8.5lb and really prefer in the 7lb range give or take a little.

Anyway, weight is an interesting spec because it can vary quite a bit from guitar to guitar. Case in point: I have two neck-thru ESP horizons and they are the same specs except one has ash top/wings and the other has mahogany wings and maple top. One weighs 7.6lb and the other 8.6lb...a full pound!

Weight is one of the more frustrating aspects of buying guitars online because seldom do sellers really know. And part of the time they don't even understand what you're asking. I've had some interpret a weight question in terms of shipping weight...thinking you are trying to calculate shipping cost. I have learned to clarify that I am asking from the standpoint of playing weight.

I know this is rather anal retentive, but about 10 years ago I bought some digital scales PRIMARILY for weighing guitars. ha!

Discuss.

I don't mind heavy guitars, no matter how long I play, which can sometimes extend to from the morning hours all the way into what would qualify as late night jamming. That being said I've come close to breaking my left shoulder a few times, but I don't notice it anymore since it's healed and re-healed.

From a purist point of view, I often think in the 'if it ain't heavy it ain't got character' mentality, but light guitars just seem more "maneuverable" and it's quite easy to bond with them.

In the end, I don't really have a preference. I like the response and the qualities of the denser woods, so I've simply acclimated to heavier guitars. A kelly shape being my first, I think, has also contributed. No preference, but lighter guitars seem easier to manage for me. =)
    Its all fun and games till you get yogurt in your eye.; -AK47
    Guitar is my first love, metal my second (wife...ehh she's in there somewhere). -Partial @ Marshall

Comment

Never weighed a guitar myself... although I did order a light ash body under 4lbs from warmoth.
      -------------------------
      Blank yo!

Comment

As long as it's about as heavy as a guitar I don't really mind. :dunno:

I know some guys are pretty picky about this.

Well, my LP Studio weighs a ton and it does bug me after a while. But "about a Strat" I'm fine with, mahogany or otherwise.

Comment

The only guitars I've ever weighed were my 2 PGMs. I was curious because one of them felt heavier than the other though they're exactly the same spec-wise. One of them weighed roughly 1 lb. more than the other.

Other than that, I really don't pay attention to weight. I figure if a guitar is too heavy for me, I need to start working out more.

Comment

Originally posted by Chad View Post
            Discuss.
            Nothing to discuss. That's the beauty of guitars. Some weigh more, some weigh less, they all sound different, you need to collect them all

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
              Nothing to discuss. That's the beauty of guitars. Some weigh more, some weigh less, they all sound different, you need to collect them all
              Plenty to discuss. What do your guitars weigh? Do you have a weight preference/min/max? If you have two or more of the exact same guitar and there is a decent weight variance between them do you notice a difference in tone/resonance/sustain? When did you last have your guitar weighing scales calibrated?

Comment

BTW, I'm pretty sure I read at one time that a lot of the original Burst Les Pauls are on the lighter side weight-wise. It's also interesting that Gibson shoots for certain weight targets with their Historic Les Pauls. I believe I saw a chart from the Gibson shop that specifies 59RIs weigh under 8lb. I have a Y2K 59RI and it weighs around 8.5lb.....it was made before the 8lb max. But 8.5lb is still pretty light for a non-weight-relieved/non-chambered Les Paul.

So the thing I wonder: all else equal, the majority of the time does lighter weight contribute positively or negatively from a tone/resonance/sustain perspective?

Comment

Plenty to discuss.
                  Ok, I'll bite.
                  What do your guitars weigh?
                  Some are heavy, some are light. I have three RR's. 1992 RR1, 1995 RR1 and a 2009 RR24M. The RR24M is a lightweight, one of the reasons I liked it. The 1992 is a boat anchor (relative speaking), the 1995 in the middle. The tone sounds great on all of them, but each has different pickups. I have a 1977 LP Custom that is my heaviest guitar, but the original T-Tops are very sweet. My 2004 R0 is lighter, but better suited to metal, as are the 2002 Std. and 1996 Classic Premium Plus. Each LP has different pickups so they all sound different. I have an ESP Horizon from 1989 that's a boat anchor but has killer tone, most likely from the Custom Custom. My 2005 Bengal SL2H is medium weight. I have a Fusion that is heavy, but that might be because of the dual 9 volt batteries in it.
                  Do you have a weight preference/min/max?
                  The only criteria (within reason) I require is that the guitar sounds good/great. I'll play a heavy LP if it sounds good, I'll play a chambered LP if it sounds good.
                  If you have two or more of the exact same guitar and there is a decent weight variance between them do you notice a difference in tone/resonance/sustain?
                  Yes, but they also have widely different pickups. My 1996 LP is about the same weight as my 2002, but the 496R/500T set is going to sustain longer and sound different than the 2002 with BB Pros.
                  When did you last have your guitar weighing scales calibrated?
                  I'd love to weigh all my guitars, but don't have a scale.
                  In summary, I'd say there are just too many variables for weight to be an overly important one.

Comment

BTW, I'm pretty sure I read at one time that a lot of the original Burst Les Pauls are on the lighter side weight-wise.
                    Yep, the quality of wood was better back then.
                    It's also interesting that Gibson shoots for certain weight targets with their Historic Les Pauls.
                    Yep, they do.
                    I believe I saw a chart from the Gibson shop that specifies 59RIs weigh under 8lb.
                    I think that might be too low.
                    I have a Y2K 59RI and it weighs around 8.5lb.....it was made before the 8lb max. But 8.5lb is still pretty light for a non-weight-relieved/non-chambered Les Paul.?
                    I think yours is at the normal weight of 8.5lbs.
                    So the thing I wonder: all else equal, the majority of the time does lighter weight contribute positively or negatively from a tone/resonance/sustain perspective?
                    Maybe. I firmly believe that weight relieved and chambering is a way to make use of crappy wood. I get into a lot of fights with Class 5 owners because I tell them their higher ended guitars are made with crappy mahogany. Class 5's have additional weight relief holes which "irks" me, but they have a 60s neck and long tenon (only guitar that has this combo). And the Elegant is chambered, but had a compound radius ebony fretboard and ablone inlays.

Comment

DonP: For nothing to discuss, that's quite a bit of input. Thanks!

Here is a link that shows the chart for Les Pauls. Upon looking at it again, the 8lb max is apparently just for the BACK of the guitar. That seems pretty high considering all the other parts of the guitar. Lots of other good info and pics in there too.

Rather than keep sending people to Gibson Forums, I figured I'd post this here. Maybe with some luck, this will become a sticky. This post mainly applies to newer Les Pauls. Nowadays, there are two types of Les Pauls - Gibson USA and Gibson Custom Shop. Gibson USA Weight-relief started...

BTW, I was reading that weight variance in the same type wood is alot of times due to mineral content. To me, it seems that wood could "breathe" better (and possibly resonate better) with less mineral content...and it would weigh less, but I'm just kinda throwing that out there and don't know for sure.

I checked another thread on that forum where guys were talking about 13lb. Les Pauls and one guy even mentioned a 16lb. Les Paul. That's crazy! I probably would not keep one those regardless of how great it sounded. I just play standing up too much of the time and it would get too heavy, too fast.
                      Last edited by Chad; 01-04-2010, 05:49 PM.

Comment

DonP: For nothing to discuss, that's quite a bit of input. Thanks!

Here is a link that shows the chart for Les Pauls. Upon looking at it again, the 8lb max is apparently just for the BACK of the guitar. That seems pretty high considering all the other parts of the guitar. Lots of other good info and pics in there too.

Rather than keep sending people to Gibson Forums, I figured I'd post this here. Maybe with some luck, this will become a sticky. This post mainly applies to newer Les Pauls. Nowadays, there are two types of Les Pauls - Gibson USA and Gibson Custom Shop. Gibson USA Weight-relief started...

BTW, I was reading that weight variance in the same type wood is alot of times due to mineral content. To me, it seems that wood could "breathe" better with less mineral content...and it would weight less, but I'm just kinda throwing that out there and don't know for sure.

I checked another thread on that forum where guys were talking about 13lb. Les Pauls and one guy even mentioned a 16lb. Les Paul. That's crazy! I probably would not keep one those regardless of how great it sounded. I just play standing up too much of the time and it would get too heavy, too fast.
                        I have a 78 standard that is probably close to 13lbs. Played it for two sets on new years eve, then switched to my V. Much easier on my back, but not nearly as good tonally.
                        Its a complete catastrophe. But Im a professional, I can rise above it. LOL

Comment

It's interesting that this has come up because I've always wondered what my SD III weighed. And the other night at a gig, we had a guest guitarist come up and play a couple of songs with us. I let him use the SD, and when we finished he told me that it was a lot heavier than his Les Paul. I knew it was heavy and after a full nights gig gets me right between the shoulders, but I've never even thought of a good way to weigh it out short of setting it on the bathroom scales. According to them the SD III is right at 11lbs, my DK2 and Model 4 both hit at around 8 lbs and I have an Ibanez RG140(?) that weighs in as the lightest at around 6lbs

The SD III is my main axe and while I do use my other guitars on certain songs, they don't hold a candle to the sonic bliss I experience with the SD III. So I guess I'll just have to grin and bear it.
                          Prosecutors will be violated...

Comment

Working...
                          X