Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MartinBarre1 View Post
    Fukc off ya cnut.

Enjoying a rum and coke, just didn't have any coke...

Comment

Originally posted by micha View Post
      there's really people saying would've/could've/should've?!
      is this proper english at all?
      never heard that before. I'd not even know how to pronounce it, but I'm sure it reads reeeeaaally stupid...

Actually "would've" is the correct contraction of "would have", and is commonly used in the English language. The mistake that so many people make, is "would of", which is totally nonsensical. The same applies to "could have", and "should have".

I believe that people make these mistakes because they fail to really think about what they are actually saying. People in general have a lack of common sense, and a bad case of verbal diarrhea.
      Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

people like to approach the language more phonetically than what's written in the dictionary... that's why I sometimes make mistakes spelling words in English as my language is very phonetical while English is not at all.
        "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Originally posted by zeegler View Post

Actually "would've" is the correct contraction of "would have", and is commonly used in the English language. The mistake that so many people make, is "would of", which is totally nonsensical. The same applies to "could have", and "should have".

I believe that people make these mistakes because they fail to really think about what they are actually saying. People in general have a lack of common sense, and a bad case of verbal diarrhea.
          yeah, I see where the "'ve" is supposed to come from (I've for example), but still...

would've... how do you pronounce it without any vowel in there?
          "woodff"?!
          maybe it is commonly used english, but this doesn't prevent it from looking and most likely sounding stupid. I will proceed to ignore it anyway...

more and more people just type like their ears want them to.
          people seem to be unable nowadays to tell the difference between hurt and heard, or even know and no.
          and things are getting worse every day IMO.
          10 years from here there will be only lol-cats left in the internet...
          tremstick give-away (performer series trem)

Comment

10 years from here there will be only lol-cats left in the internet...
            I don't know why you'd say that...

Whoaaaa!
            GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

if cat's really had this ability and would stop people from talking BS I'd always have a couple of them with me.

just in case...

Comment

yeah, I see where the "'ve" is supposed to come from (I've for example), but still...

would've... how do you pronounce it without any vowel in there?
                "woodff"?!
                "wood uv" which is the problem, because "'ve" and "of" are both pronounced the same way...see my next post.

maybe it is commonly used english, but this doesn't prevent it from looking and most likely sounding stupid. I will proceed to ignore it anyway...
                That's fine...you will sound like a computer
                "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
                  "wood uv" which is the problem, because "'ve" and "of" are both pronounced the same way...see my next post.

That's fine...you will sound like a computer

...Like data from Star Trek TNG. He was incapable of using contractions for some odd reason.
                  Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
                    "wood uv" which is the problem, because "'ve" and "of" are both pronounced the same way..
                    maybe I have a weird way of pronouncing "of" instead.
                    I know some people (the ones with non-positronical brains ) tend to swallow the "h" of "have" when spoken right after "would", "could" or "should".
                    eventhough the vowel is usually darkened during this process I don't hear it anywhere near "of".

try taking the ponunciation of the "would've-ve" and place it in an "of"-situation.
                    like "fuck've" for example and you'll get what I mean.
                    Last edited by micha; 01-17-2010, 09:58 AM.

Comment

All that stuff on the Oatmeal site is great...
                      "Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
                      --floydkramer

Comment

maybe I have a weird way of pronouncing "of" instead.
                        I know some people (the ones with non-positronical brains ) tend to swallow the "h" of "have" when spoken right after "would", "could" or "should".
                        eventhough the vowel is usually darkened during this process I don't hear it anywhere near "of".

try taking the ponunciation of the "would've-ve" and place it in an "of"-situation.
                        like "fuck've" for example and you'll get what I mean.
                        what is "fuck of"? Or do you mean "fuck off"?

the F in "of" has a vee sound, whereas the F in "off" has a softer eff sound. So dropping the "h" in "have" (which is effectively all you're doing with the 've contractions) does make a similar sound to "of".

Your suggestion holds true if you were try something like "look of". It's the look, it's the look, the look've love
                        Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
                          what is "fuck of"? Or do you mean "fuck off"?
                          yeah, you got me with my example. now stop throwing cats at me, I'm bored...

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
                          the F in "of" has a vee sound, whereas the F in "off" has a softer eff sound. So dropping the "h" in "have" (which is effectively all you're doing with the 've contractions) does make a similar sound to "of".

Your suggestion holds true if you were try something like "look of". It's the look, it's the look, the look've love
                          still won't get how of sounds like 've. you guys got me confused...
                          now the first english-speaking poor bastard I meet on festival next summer will have to discuss that with me.

maybe my accent is more german than I thought?!
                          I always thought the eff in "off" would be sharper than compared to the one in "of"?!
                          damn, I'm confused...

never heard about a sentence like "you were try" either...

Comment

've like in would've aka would have sounds like [haev] in BBC English but in American English it sounds more closer to "of"
                            Last edited by Endrik; 01-17-2010, 11:21 AM.
                            "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

yeah I thought about the american way of mumbling english being part of the problem, but the australian guy seems to agree with them.

Comment

it's of sounding in Australian english too and also could be in Irish/Welsh/Scottish english or just kinda mumbly after the vowel which influenced the older type North East Coast American English... "wouldah" or something

Comment

Working...
                                X