Your guitar lesson of the day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your guitar lesson of the day

Long version of Texas Flood by stevie ray vaughn ! Texas Flood is an electric blues album by blues guitarist Stevie Ray Vaughan and his band Double Trouble, ...

I went away from the blues for a long time, but I've come back round to it and dammit there's nothing like SRV. Exceptional on every level.
    You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

+1 I always get back to SRV...

Comment

I love SRV... but not the legions of TS-9 stomping immitators. Stevie was all about doing his own thing - he took what he learned and made it his own.
      -------------------------
      Blank yo!

Comment

Incredible player... horrible legacy... thousands of fat middle aged white men with hawaii shirts and cowboy hats playing strats and ripping-off every lick that SRV played without ever hearing a single Son House or Elmore James record but are very eager calling your playing soulless if you do anything fancier than Clapton.
        "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Can't get much better than SRV.

Endrik - what would you recommend from House/James?
          Scott

Comment

the wisest for a first time listener would be getting some collections (best of, greatest hits etc.) as their recordings are so old and came out on vinyls which usually were singles or had very few tunes on them.... some of the albums are still collections from different sessions... so I'd go with "best of" type of stuff.
            I personally though love collecting their vinyls.
            "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

I could listen to him play guitar all day long... but once he starts singing, I lose it.... it's like, shut up already....
              "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
                I love SRV... but not the legions of TS-9 stomping immitators. Stevie was all about doing his own thing - he took what he learned and made it his own.
                I love SRV but he didn't do his own thing exactly. What he did was take other great blues players "thing" and make it his own.
                One of the greatest true guitar players of all time.

Comment

in 1983, John McEnroe sponsored a Rock and Jock jam at the Pier in NYC.
                  Buddy Guy played, Geddy Lee, Aerosmith with Jimmy Crespo played, but the best part of the day was the opening act-Stevie Ray, 3 days fresh off of quitting the David Bowie tour he was playing on and only getting paid 300.00 a night from. I grew up with the McEnroe's, they were close friends of the family. John slapped an all access pass on my chest and said Tommy do not miss this first guy, he's sick, he's just like Hendrix. I got a fold out seat and sat about 6 feet away from him to his right on the side of the stage, I was so far out from the side that when I turned to look out there were a shitload of people in the crowd looking at me and were like how the fukk did he get that seat? I also had the pleasure getting Stevie a refill on his water. Man he was great that day.
                  Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

Originally posted by atomic charvel guy View Post
                    in 1983, John McEnroe sponsored a Rock and Jock jam at the Pier in NYC.
                    Buddy Guy played, Geddy Lee, Aerosmith with Jimmy Crespo played, but the best part of the day was the opening act-Stevie Ray, 3 days fresh off of quitting the David Bowie tour he was playing on and only getting paid 300.00 a night from. I grew up with the McEnroe's, they were close friends of the family. John slapped an all access pass on my chest and said Tommy do not miss this first guy, he's sick, he's just like Hendrix. I got a fold out seat and sat about 6 feet away from him to his right on the side of the stage, I was so far out from the side that when I turned to look out there were a shitload of people in the crowd looking at me and were like how the fukk did he get that seat? I also had the pleasure getting Stevie a refill on his water. Man he was great that day.

very cool!

Comment

Awesome story, bro!
                      -------------------------
                      Blank yo!

Comment

Working...
                      X