Wives and guitars...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wives and guitars...

We've all exchanged a story or two about our axes and the ladies we love, and how they sometimes seem to clash... This isn't exactly that. Just a sort of funny conversation I had with my wife.

The other day, I've got my guitars out of the cases, working on one of them, and the wife comes in to ask me something and the following exchange takes place:

She says, "Are you having fun with your guitars?"

I say, "Well now that I've got this adjusted better, I really like this one."

She points to the Ferrari Red San Dimas, and says "I like this one the best."

I say "How come?"

She says, "Because it all matches."

(Matching HS, matching red pickups... It really does match.)

So, I point to the Snow White San Dimas and I say, "Well this white one all matches, too. Actually, they're exactly the same, except that one is red and this one is white."

(They are in fact, exactly the same, except for the color)

She says, "No they're not! That one doesn't have a stick!", pointing to the tremolo bar on the red one. I had the tremolo bar unscrewed from the white one at the time...

So, to summarize, my wife likes guitars that "match" and prefers the ones that have "a stick."

I dunno, I thought it was kinda cute.

Great story.

My wife comes in and sees me looking at Ebay and says "Why do you need another guitar? You already have three."
    Scott

Comment

Well, well, well... I too like it when they match.

My wife is dimly aware that I have some "Charvels" and that they all look the same.
      -------------------------
      Blank yo!

Comment

I don't have a wife, but I always get the comments "you can't play more than one at a time", "You should save for the future", "You could spend your money on more important things" etc. from mother. And then she goes and spends my paypal earnings on herself without asking.
        Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

my GF knows I am a lost cause so she dont even try. I am 30 guitars now. I will show her one and ask if I should buy it and she says with no level of any emotion, "go for it". when it comes to guitars, she is about as passionate as Ben Stein in Ferris Buller.
          "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

Originally posted by wilkinsi View Post
            I don't have a wife, but I always get the comments "you can't play more than one at a time"
            If I got that comment often enough, I would learn how to play more than one at a time. Oh, sure, it might sound like a cat being strangled to death, but that's even better; they'd regret ever saying anything.

Comment

Hell, my wife buys some of them for me on occasion.
              Nothing like coming home to a new Jackson case in the living room and your wife going "Open it... open it" with a giddy smile on her face.
              -Rick

Comment

I always tell the customers who's wives say to them. "you can only play one at a time" that they should tell the wife you can only wear one pair of shoes at a time but yet you have 30 pairs of shoes. I dont know if they ever do that. But i get a bit of an agreement from the guys.
                Gil

Comment

I've had the "you can only play one at a time" types of comments countless times from loads of different people. Then there's the more difficult to answer "what's the difference?" question. Which even I can't really justify for the most part

As long as me buying guitars doesn't affect her in that the guitars aren't in the living room and we can still go on vacation, my wife's happy with it. She knows I know what I'm doing in terms of good deals and recouping costs, and frankly the money would be earning fuck all in the banks right now. I look at my guitars as 'money in an enjoyable form' - if I need cash, I'll sell some, but while I have cash reserves to draw on in the bank, I'm gonna enjoy my hobby...
                  Popular is not the same as good
                  Rare is not the same as valuable
                  Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

For some reason and maybe it's just me
                    but I thought this thread was about wives holding/posing with their husbands guitar.

Thread title "wives and guitars" is somewhat specific yet vaguely general.
                    Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

Originally posted by Soap View Post
                      For some reason and maybe it's just me
                      but I thought this thread was about wives holding/posing with their husbands guitar.

Thread title "wives and guitars" is somewhat specific yet vaguely general.
                      No, it isn't just you. I had my pud out ready.

(Incidentally, I'm watching "Alaska Bush Troopers" on the telly and that is a fucking disappointment too. It's about policemen in Alaska for some reason)
                      Last edited by Rsmacker; 01-25-2010, 08:39 PM.
                      So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
                        Hell, my wife buys some of them for me on occasion.
                        Nothing like coming home to a new Jackson case in the living room and your wife going "Open it... open it" with a giddy smile on her face.
                        Same here Rick, James bought my RR5. As long as we have the money, he doesn't mind any gear/guitar purchases.

Comment

I don't have a wife, but I always get the comments "you can't play more than one at a time", "You should save for the future", "You could spend your money on more important things" etc. from mother. And then she goes and spends my paypal earnings on herself without asking.
                          Some of my guitars have appreciated better than stocks and other investments. As a matter of fact, I sold 4 or 5 guitars in 2008 to finance other gear and I made money on all of them. I always try to buy high end stuff at decent prices and at the absolute worst I can usually break even. Guitars are fun to own, fun to collect, fun to play........and pretty much like money in the bank (or better) if you buy the right stuff at the right price.

Comment

My sweet Wilksy-Baby, but you will be my wife soon, I promise. I realise this is you trying to put subtle pressure on me, but be patient my love, we will be together soon enough. If you aren't too naughty, maybe St Valentine's Day will be special for you.

The only thing that perturbs me is the quote above. You don't live in the Wilksy Baby Motel do you? Do you wear more than Mother's underwear, like the whole kit and kaboodle? I don't know if I can allow the wig and dress too, that's perhaps a bridge too far.

Anyway, will Mother be coming to live with us? We will need a menial to clear up the arse soup that will drip out of your shredded ringpiece and be sloshed all over our Love Palace when we start our life together. We'll be at it like knives. She's not going to be shocked is she, not after the years she's spent clearing up your wank tissues and glued-together weightlifting magazines?

Hmmm, ah yes, I feel 2010 is going to be a goooood year.
                            So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

I had a feeling the stinking snatch nibbler would return to troll the forum again with his stupid gay fantasies. Hopefully a double decker bus will put him out of his misery soon. Then it will be great 2010 indeed.
                              Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Working...
                              X