Gawdamn this is a lot of snow.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gawdamn this is a lot of snow.

When I was stationed up at Fort Drum NY this was a 2 hr dusting . I showed up there in early January 2000 straight outta EOD school which was at Eglin AFB (Fort Walton Beach Florida). Talk about CULTURE SHOCK!! I was trying to find my way around the base, but could not read any friggin street signs...they were buried under snow...6.5 feet up.

But down here in the Mid Atlantic we are too ill equipped to deal with a paltry 2 foot of the white stuff .
    I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

I lived in Buffalo NY during the blizzard of '77. A city that is equipped to deal with snow(lots of it), was brought to a standstill for quite a while.

Enjoying a rum and coke, just didn't have any coke...

Comment

Originally posted by Jayster View Post
      I lived in Buffalo NY during the blizzard of '77. A city that is equipped to deal with snow(lots of it), was brought to a standstill for quite a while.

Yeah Buffalo gets hammered a LOT. I remember the day after I arrived in Saudi Arabia back in '01, I called the wife back @Ft.Drum...she said "oh we got the usual ft and a half of snow..no big deal. But down in Buffalo, they got dumPd on ...over 3 foot in less than 24 hours!!!"She said it literally CRIPPLED them. She was actually GLAD she was where she was...and then later on that day... an earthquake hit Ft. Drum !!! AN EARTHQAKE...IN UPSTATE NY!!!! I thought she was lying...maybe her vibratoe had gone haywire and sent her over the edge or something . But sure enough ...in the news (internet) the was a 3.2 quake that hit them.

I was in Billerica, MA for the Blizzard of '77 (thought it was '78 though) I remember vividly jumping off the 3rd story back deck ito the HUGE snow drifts and plowing in waaaaaay over our heads!! It was AWESOME! If I ever saw my kids doing taht I'd have a fit .

Oh pics as soon as I dig up my cam.

In the meantime.... Down in DC today ...about an hour from me. Thought it was a cool ass photo.
      Korean War memorial.
      Last edited by bombtek; 02-06-2010, 07:48 PM.
      I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

Comment

That is a really cool pic!

Comment

I vividly recall the blizzard of 77.
          Indiana, at least Central Indy came to a screeching halt.
          Took two full weeks to resume normal daily living.
          Electricity was down for 3-4 days. Uh, yes the hospitals was greatly effected.
          Street department couldn't/didn't begin plowing 5-6 days, too deep, too much too fast. The plumbing in many homes went bad, just didn't freeze up but cracked and had to be replaced. Snow blower what was that in 77. Vehicles/batteries were dead.

The neighborhood which we lived knowing we couldn't wait and all we had was time on our hands, made good use of it. Took matters into our hands shoveled ourselves out. Took 3-4 days but we all chipped in together and shoveled our residential street out including driveways. Nothing like seeing families come together and come out and start shoveling the street clean.

Very cool to see people (myself and my dad included) taking/pulling their sleds down to the closest pantry buying the place out of milk, bread and sandwhich meat and hotdogs.

Everybody back in 2000, was all concerned about the w2k.
          I thought can't be much different then the blizzard of 77 and didn't have computers like today back then. It's really simple, your forced to adhere or adjust to a more reserved disciplined life style. Tolerance and survival steps up.
          Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

Suck it up princesses. A few years back we had a blizzard where we had almost 3 feet of snow and the temperature hovered around -40 without the windchill (With the windchill was below -50C from what I remember); all in one day. It was followed by a few days of temperatures of -50C or lower without windchill. The day after that blizzard was the only snow day I've ever had in the 12 years I've been in school. We couldn't shovel snow without risking freezing because you could get frostbite in under 2 minutes.
            "Dear Dr. Bill,
            I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

Yep - I grew up in Buffalo and was there for the Blizzard of '77. There is a reason I now live in Florida. I don't ever want to hear the term "lake effect snow" in another weather forecast as long as I live!

Here's a few pics from back then

Digging out a house:

Finding cars: (some with people still in them, some that didn't make it)

Snow drift:
              Last edited by Spiderman; 02-07-2010, 03:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben... View Post
                Suck it up princesses.
                Ben, folks I knew had there house burn down because the firetrucks couldn't get there on account of all the abandoned cars in the way. I wasn't trying to say you Eskimos have it easy

If you're prepared for something it's always better
                Enjoying a rum and coke, just didn't have any coke...

Comment

Cincinnati checking in. I'm north where there supposed to be more snow that came in Friday night / Saturday morning. Maybe 6", no worries. Went shopping for Superbowl supplies last night and Olive Garden for dinner. Wife just went to WalMart to get the final stuff.

It's cold, there's snow, but nothing too bad.

Comment

What is this "snow" you speak of? (ducks)
                    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by Jayster View Post
                      Ben, folks I knew had there house burn down because the firetrucks couldn't get there on account of all the abandoned cars in the way. I wasn't trying to say you Eskimos have it easy

If you're prepared for something it's always better
                      Haha no kidding. We may be prepared for blizzards but if there was few days of heavy rain in the summer we would be screwed.

A new person came to my school that was from Toronto and promptly asked me today if it bothers us that it's always so cold here in winter. I said I didn't notice the cold today. It's only like -15 today without windchill so it didn't seem so bad. Apparently that's like crazy cold there or something.

That blizzard a couple years back was bad because it was almost too cold to run the snow graders.
                      "Dear Dr. Bill,
                      I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

Another 6" to 8" today. Shit's piling up.

Schools closed today, and most likely tomorrow.

Comment

Same here.
                          4 inches today AND another 4-6 coming in by tomorrow morning.
                          Schools were closed today and no doubt they will be again tomorrow as well.

All I know, retirement will be spent in southern Georgia or northern Florida.
                          I take that back according the Maya's the world is suppose to end in 2012.
                          Depends on how you look at it death by end of the world or retirement later on down the line.
                          Either way, I won't be shoveling snow that's for sure.
                          Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

Originally posted by Soap View Post
                            I take that back according the Maya's the world is suppose to end in 2012.
                            Yo

"Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Monday: Get to work @ 0300, shovel out a work vehicle. Drive in work vehichle to work site to get machinary up and running. Shovel my way to where said machinary is located. Get back to main office @ 0600 shovel/pull out remaining vehicles. Play some in the Jeep. Head to another work location. Shovel way in. Repeat 4 more times throughout day. We got a minimum of 22", and my back is killing me.

Tuesday: Get to work @ 0300. Drive in work vehichle to work site to get machinary up and running. Get back to main office @ 0600....wouldn't ya know it...they found more places to shovel...yay!....Again, play some in the Jeep. Head to another work location. Take off at about 1500. Get home, say hi to kids who seem to be having one HELL of a vacation this year from school! make dinner...and then the snow starts. Been shoveling every hour basically on the hour since 1930. Have to be back @ work @ 0300.

I don't think I'm going to get any sleep tonite. Everytime I've gone out to shovel this evening, its been an accumulation of 2-3 inches. 4WD Jeep is hella fun and kicks ass in the snow, but I stilll want a clear ride in the morning...or at least an easy start out of the driveway, so I'm gonna continue the hourly shoveling.

I think we might actually get more from this storm than we did from the last one if it keeps up like it is. It is definitely snowing just as hard and fast as the last storm did, now just to see if it maintains.
                              Last edited by bombtek; 02-10-2010, 12:44 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X