Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thinking of buying a car. Could use some help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking of buying a car. Could use some help.

I don't really want to but I'm sick of the expensive repairs on the Saturn.

So Here's the rub.
    I want something that has no computers and isn't a rustbucket.

Simple engine-transmission (slush box)-wheels.

No Sensors, no computers, no diagnostic programs to deal with.
    If it breaks I want to be able to go in with a tool box and fix it.

Does anybody make something like that anymore?
    Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day, set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

So you want something from 1955? :think: That would require a time machine.

...Then again, the time machine presumably would have sensors, computers and diagnostic equipment, so that rules this out, too.

Comment

Anything after 1996 will be ODBII and then most cars going back to mid to early 80's had some type of on of ecm. You can go with an original beetle, but be prepared to freeze in the winter and sweat in the summer.

Comment

Yeah, youre SOL my friend. Youre asking for a 70's-prior carb car. Aint gonna happen. My suggestion would be get something with a 100,000 mile warranty. Most manufacturers offer it now, its probably your best bet. OR you can buy something 95 and older ( OBDI ) and just diagnose any check engine light with a paperclip.
        Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

I guess my 1970 Challenger fits the bill?

What type of Saturn? What year?

Comment

2001 SC2.

Nice little car, but, I keep losing a sensor on the exhaust about 1 a year.
            It's just pricey for what amounts to a nothing part.
            Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day, set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

Oxygen sensor... are you replacing them with OEM parts or getting Bosch or other parts store ones? The parts store ones are usually frowned apon. Is it the pre or post cat sensor? If its the post cat, it might be correct and the cat is going bad.
              Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

OEM for so far.

Comment

Land Rover.
                  So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

I'm with stupid.
                    get an old Defender!! great fun-cars.
                    there's no computers instead you got this big levers everywhere. feels really solid and is easily maitained with a box a screw-drivers (there's a reason you see these around that often in african desert for example).
                    try one if you get the chance they're charming and really fun to drive.

that goes as long as you're not fat are tall.
                    fat people won' get up there and feel uncomfortable, and tall people won't see shit.
                    other than that i's perfect!!
                    tremstick give-away (performer series trem)

Comment

Does anybody here think there would be a market for a throwback car like that?
                      Maybe with concessions to EPA standards, but, no computers at all?

Comment

2001 SC2.

Nice little car, but, I keep losing a sensor on the exhaust about 1 a year.
                        It's just pricey for what amounts to a nothing part.
                        Is the cost of that part worth not having a car payment? If you get a good one those saturns run forever. I've had 2, the last one I gave to my brother last year.

Comment

Originally posted by Flatpicker View Post
                          There would but the EPA will not have it.

Comment

My last car before the Acura was a 1997 SL2. I bought it at 145K, and kept it until 202K when I crashed head-on into a Dodge Ram truck at 60mph. I'm still alive, but my leg is messed up.

I figured if I'm going to go out, I want to go out big, hence the Acura TL Types S.

But I loved not having payments, having a car that "who car's if it's scratched". A car that I wouldn't be afraid to take to concerts and stuff. I had a to put in brakes and a starter, but for the most part I always got oil changes at 3K, added a quart of oil every 1K, and it got 38mpg.
                            Last edited by DonP; 02-10-2010, 11:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Flatpicker View Post
                              did you read this thread?
                              tremstick give-away (performer series trem)

Comment

Working...
                              X